PDA

View Full Version : Flying to South Africa in a 182

jeab
23rd Feb 2010, 04:58
Hello, I have left the winter in Europe to fly to South Africa in a C182. Right now I am in Eilat in Israel. I write about the trip, and show pictures on www.hosbiz.com (http://www.hosbiz.com) if you are interested. Jens

172driver
23rd Feb 2010, 15:01
Lucky ba***d :D

Have a great trip and let us know how it goes. Safe flying. :ok::ok:

IO540
23rd Feb 2010, 15:23
Nice trip :ok:

Interesting route... avoiding Sudan avoids having to ship avgas down there. Down to Luxor it is OK; I believe Sudan has always been the sticking point.

Who are you using for the crew visas and overflight permissions?

magvelda
23rd Feb 2010, 18:56
Hi

Saw your thread.

I can always help if needed.

Best Regards

Mike

AIRWAY
24th Feb 2010, 10:38
Hello Jaeb,

I had a quick peep at your site and fell in love with all those adventures you had... In particular the bureaucracy in Portugal, (I was born in Portugal, now living in UK), I concur with your opinion, the place is still living in last century (although improvements have been made), paperwork for everything and it takes ages to sort out something, but still a lovely country. :ok: :}

Keep us posted.

liam548
24th Feb 2010, 11:38
awesome trips. Nice to have the money and time to do such trips.. ;)

Sultan Ismail
25th Feb 2010, 05:10
Far away places with strange sounding names have always been attraction for me.

I can verify and update on one leg of the RTW flight, specifically the sojourn in Subang Airport Kuala Lumpur (not Kulang) where the 182 was serviced by a Mr. Mutalib. Mr. Mutalib now services my own 182 based at Bernam River Airfield (WMBR) North of Kuala Lumpur. A very willing and cooperative gentleman nothing is too much for him.

A great site Jeab, fly safe and keep the blue side up.

jeab
27th Feb 2010, 14:52
Thank you all...

I have made it to Djibouti in Africa.

I avoided Sudan by going via Jiddah in Saudi Arabia - cost me som 750 US dollars to land there though.

One reason for flyiing via Djibouti is, that a "N" registret plane is not allowed to fly into Ethiopia north of the 12 degrees North latitude.

I use a guy in Denmark fot getting flight permits. His name is Bo Therkildsen.

Jens

IO540
27th Feb 2010, 15:53
Sounds like the man mentioned here (http://www.earthrounders.com/cgi/clearances.php)

Funny about Ethiopia not liking N-reg. Why do you think that is?

I fly an N-reg too and on occassions have come across some odd behaviour in Europe, but could never put a finger on it. In Greece (LGMT) they once mentioned an extra charge for N-reg but backpedalled instantly when I pressed them on it.