PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Approach Clearance to a Closed Runway

Big Windy
22nd Feb 2010, 15:26
May a US air traffic controller issue an approach clearance for an approach that serves a closed runway?

Let me clarify:
Operation is in the US.
Operation is under FAR Part 91 and/or FAR Part 135.
The airport has more than one runway suitable for landing (for example, runway 18/36 and runway 12/30). Runway 18/36 is closed by NOTAM.
The only published IAP is RNAV (GPS) RWY 18. Circling/circle-to-land minima is published for this IAP.
An IFR flight plan will be filed and IMC conditions are expected enroute and at destination. However, forecast arrival weather is at or above circle-to-land minima.

I wish to file IFR with this airport as a destination and intend/expect to perform the RNAV (GPS) RWY 18, circle to land RWY 30 (the runways do not intersect). Upon arrival, may I expect this clearance?

I've been told that the air traffic controller may not approve/issue a clearance for an instrument approach in these circumstances. I've researched the Air Traffic Controller Handbook, but cannot find this example precisely. Any assistance (with reference, if possible) is appreciated.

Ivasrus
24th Feb 2010, 02:17
You'd need to check NOTAMs confirming that the runway closure has no impact on the IAP in question, eg raised minima or even NTBU.

Assuming not, then as it has a circling minima and is the only IAP for the AD, you'd be reasonable to assume the approach is available (perhaps on request). The question should be directly asked preflight by telephone to the responsible ATC/FIA manager for confirmation.

I've used IAP to closed runways for circling to intersecting runways without guilt before.

slatch
24th Feb 2010, 22:45
The answer is yes, it is allowed. If it is an uncontrolled field (no tower) you will be cleared for the approach and be advised that runway x is closed. If there is a tower they will of course clear you to land on the open runway. We use the same operation all of the time at airports with one approach when the wind favors the other direction. But I will add I have seen ATC's not issue legal clearances when they should have because they were not standard or the norm. We have our share of people who only do the minimum and have no interest in really learning all of the rules.