PDA

View Full Version : Cost effective flying: PPL (SEP) to NPPL (M) and the implications of such a move

flyingwithwings
21st Feb 2010, 19:24
I'm currently an PPL/SEP and am looking for a cost effective way to continue my flying. I've no real(istic) desire to go commercial due to my age and because with lowering T&Cs I can't see the career being as lucrative as my current one (which is a shame – I’d have loved to have done it and would like to see pilot rewards consistent with their investment, skill, and responsibility).

The vast majority of my flying will be in the UK, in fair-weather conditions (but I would like the option of flying abroad). Whilst I would like to do an IMC, I'm never really going to use it enough to retain my currency. I’ve no desire to do night flying. Medicals are not an issue.

I've been looking at the option of 3-axis microlight flying (e.g., Eurostar EV97), but I'm not entirely sure of the implications on my PPL (or indeed, whether it is something I need to worry about at all). I must confess my confusion is around the difference between the SEP and the PPL and whether the SEP is a minimum pre-requisite for the PPL.

(a) Do I need (at least) an SEP to have a PPL? Or, can 3-axis microlight time count towards the revalidation of a PPL? (I understand it won’t count towards the SEP, and this is where my confusion is for where the PPL ends and the SEP starts).

(b) Do PPLs automatically “drop” to NPPLs? If so, what is the trigger for this and what admin is required?

(c) Are the restrictions of SEP vs. microlight on the NPPL the same? Especially with regard to travel abroad. This article seems to imply there are differences: NPPL (http://www.theflyingschool.co.uk/nppl.htm).

(d) Why is it something like the EV97A, with its fuel pump, is considered SEP whereas theEV97, without the fuel pump and a slightly lower take-off weight, is not? Seems like a huge difference to what is a small detail (which itself is not consistent between high and low winged SEPs).

(e) Are there any developments which will change these rules and which bodies are leading these discussions?

Pardon my ignorance and I thank you in advance for your answers.

Edited for presentation.

Ryan5252
21st Feb 2010, 20:48
Flyingwithwings, sorry in advance I cannot answer your question but do have a thing or two to add. Im a PPL Student (about 28 hours) when I get my Licence I will be damn proud of it. It will be my greatest achievement to date and to be honest I don't think I will do anything else in life that will come close to working my ass off to earn my PPL. Everyone's situation is different and I am not trying to dictate to anyone by any means but so far I have sacrificed alot to even take a stab at obtaining my PPL never mind keeping current but one thing is for sure, when I get it I will move earth and high heaven to keep it! Like you, I have no interest in moving into the airlines and I agree entirely with your sentiments that pilots should be rewarded in line with their investment, skill, and responsibility. I plan to build on my licence and this is the reason why I have not went down the NPPL route. I would like to add a night rating, IMC (ultimately I will look to be a PPL-IR holder) and I also aspire to add various ratings including tail-draggers, seaplane and wouldn't mind a bit of aerobatics for good mix. At 28 years old I think there is a good number of years in aviation for me without entering the airlines and would regret to see anyone have to limit their potential by obtaining a restrictive licence. You mention that you have no desire to fly at night? Well, as I said, I am only a student so cannot offer any real advice except to say I flew a night the other day as things 'fell' into place which gave me the chance to do so - what a great experience that was. Apart, from push forward to go down and pull back to go up, little else is the same! Highly recommended!! Whatever you decide to do I am sure it will be the result of alot of debating with yourself and I am sure you will make the decision which is best suited to you, my only point is to think well before you take away some privileges you have no doubt worked incredibly hard to earn.

All the best,
Ryan

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
21st Feb 2010, 21:27
Hi Flyingwithwings,

What is it about your present CAA or JAR-PPL(A) that you don't like? It covers you to fly most of the "Group A" and three axis microlights, without changing anything. If it's a CAA PPL(A) it's valid for life, if it's a newer JAR-PPL(A) it needs renewing every five years. You can fly anything covered by your Rating (the SEP bit).

a) Microlight hours don't count towards maintaining your SEP Rating.

b) No, if you want to go to NPPL (Microlight or Simple Single Engine Aircraft) you would have to apply for the licence. See the NPPL Website (http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk/) for details.

c) At present there are restrictions on the NPPL(SSEA) in regards to foreign travel. The CAA PPL(M) has traditionally had unfettered access to France. The NPPL(M) has the same restrictions as the NPPL(SSEA). Note, you can't add an IMC on to an NPPL.

d) For the most part the Microlight / SEP difference is based on weight. Many of the top end three axis microlights are within a couple of kilos of the limit. Another factor is wing loading. My Rans S6-116 is a "Group A" version. The microlight version is bigger but lighter, giving a wing loading within the acceptable microlight range.

e) There are loads of developments on the way with EASA. It's just that no one knows what the final result will be!

If you are looking for more economical flying, the Light Aircraft Association / Farm strip flying / Group flying may be of interest. It's possible to buy an aircraft or a share in one, more cheaply in the "Group A" market than some of the microlights.

I suspect bose-x or Whopity will be along in a moment. They are better versed in this than I am and will point out my mistakes...

Safe Flying,
Richard W.

S-Works
22nd Feb 2010, 09:00
Richard has made a very clear description of the options available to you.

I would go with the suggestion of keeping a JAA PPL current and just fly whatever you can afford. If you are in regular flying practice in a Microlight Class aircraft but don't keep the SEP current by experience then you will just need to do an LPC every 2 years. This is a complete non event for any current pilot.

I do dozens of skills test every year for pilots in that exact position, they hold a full SEP PPL but are flying microlight the majority of the time and don't get enough hours to maintain the SEP by experience. I have yet to see anyone current struggle with an LPC.