PDA

View Full Version : What the **** ???

Vicky69
19th Feb 2010, 02:14
I arrived back in Canada in late January from a lifetime of flying overseas and have lots of good time on B747-767-757s and looking for any job here. Twin Otters C185s-Beavers etc etc etc.

But there appears to be absolutely nothing out there. Am I blacklisted I wonder or is this about the worst time ever to be looking for a job in Canada.

Any comments please !!!!

767-300ER
19th Feb 2010, 02:52
Probably the only significant aviation company that is currently hiring is Westjet™

thepotato232
19th Feb 2010, 05:20
Welcome back to North America. It sounds like you've managed to avoid the bloodbath until now. To put it simply, you quite literally could not have found a worse time to look for a flying job here.

On the plus side, it's nothing personal!

Left Coaster
19th Feb 2010, 07:04
Welcome back! Sadly it's a seriously bad time to test the waters...been there done that and left again. Much the same flight experience, heavy jet, worldwide yadayadayada, no one wants to put you in the seat of anything worthwhile, as it's widely believed that you know too much about how it really works (duty days etc) and that after they train you up, you'll simply leave for a much better job. (Of which there are almost none) You will be competing against non nationals who are filling seats that should have a Canuck bum in them. True, Westjet is looking, and by most accounts is an ok place to work, but if you are expecting any DEC jobs, forget it, they arent there...At least not for guys like you.(possibly over qualified) KAL hires Canadian/ American pilots, as well as some Chinese operators. If you have decent command on the equipment you mention, you may stand a chance with them. To be honest, if I was you that's where I would look...but if you simply wanted to end up finishing a career in a Beaver etc, it's a long slog...maybe check out the corporate scene. Best of luck...

tie domi
19th Feb 2010, 07:55
Mid East,Asia,Europe and USA.22,000 hr 747,pic,G 11,etc.
Nothing here pal,frustrating.Its all in who you know qualifications mean little.Also 20 years behind in attitude and professionalism.
Join me as I give after a year and am returning to expat work never to return !!!!

clunckdriver
19th Feb 2010, 11:50
You might be looking in the wrong places, if you know how to manage an aircraft{sked the maint, arange eAPIS, wash it, buy fuel at best price,flight plan, deal with TC and all the other stuff} you might like to find an aircraft used in corporate but in the POC/Private catorgory, its what I do in my dotage and have never had so much fun or been so well rewarded for it, PM me if you are serious.

northeast canuck
19th Feb 2010, 15:59
Add me to the list of those who have returned and thought "Hmmmm.... oops".

B737 captain with thousands of hours on 757/767 as well, and ... nothing.

Vicky69, check your pm's.

Vicky69
19th Feb 2010, 17:03
Thanks very much guys, for the information. All comments were exactly what I've been experiencing in my never ending search for employment in Canada.

Nice to hear that it's nothing personal as I was seriously beginning to wonder.

As for going back out there in the big bad world, I'm really trying to re-establish here but am starting to read the writing on the wall and staying at my mom and dads place is wearing awfully thin...

So good luck to the rest of you..and thanks again for the comments.

ScudRunner08
21st Feb 2010, 01:40
So you got lots of time on 747 and such and your looking for a job on a Twin Otter or Beaver eh.

How much time do you have flying low down in the clag on floats or landing on sand bars in a twin otter or alike? Lots of guys with tons of hours doing that exact work wich is far different than what your resume has are looking for work two and their resume will be first to be called before a 747 757 pilot.

CIAS
22nd Feb 2010, 01:48
And your point is?

faireydelta
22nd Feb 2010, 05:57
".....exact work wich is far different than what your resume has are looking for work two and their resume will be first to be called before a 747 757 pilot."

Some people will never learn two write properly, let alone answer a simple question without snarkiness. Good luck to you, Vicky69...I hear Air Transat is hiring, check their website.

aileron
22nd Feb 2010, 11:59
scudrunner,

Have you ever considered that those of us now Captains on large jets did at one time pay our dues in the bush??? :hmm: Want to swap stories?? :p

As a Canadian working overseas..........a little advice to the small d*cked, red-necked, Tim Horton coffee slurping, dirty baseball cap wearing, 4x4 driving......unhelpfull pilots on this BB......Chill...its all good...spread some happiness.

fesmokie
22nd Feb 2010, 13:30
Well put Aileron!!!!!! LOL LOL LOL , I almost P'd my pants :}:D

ScudRunner08
22nd Feb 2010, 20:26
:ugh: Lets go over this again:

so you got lots of time on 747 and such and your looking for a job on a Twin Otter or Beaver eh.

How much relevant experiance do you have flying in the bush?

How much time do you have flying low down in the clag on floats or landing on sand bars in a twin otter or alike?

I think thats a valid questions doesn't seem that the poster is getting any leads or feedback from their resume or job inquires, perhaps experience this is an issue. valid question No?

Lots of guys with tons of hours doing that exact work wich is far different than what your resume has are looking for work two and their resume will be first to be called before a 747 757 pilot.

Their are lots of pilots with current/recent experience flying those types (Twin Otters, Beavers) are out of work. Those pilots will be the first ones called back to work for that type of flying over a pilot who's most recent experience is operating 747 767 757 overseas. It's very competitive out their today operators can pick and choose pilots with current Type ratings or very recent flying time on the aircraft they operate, I'm not saying you couldn't hack it but why would someone hire you over a pilot as described.

Some people will never learn two write properly, let alone answer a simple question without snarkiness.
Says the pot to the kettle.

Aileron, Of course I have considered this and will swap stories with you anytime but perhaps a "retired airline pilot" would be perceived as being old and out of shape manicured airline type looking at their time flying in the bush through rose coloured glasses and thus not the best candidate to chuck drums of fuel and drill rod into a beaver in the minds of a CP or Owner of a lodge. I believe that's the reason this resume isn't getting any action.

Finally Vicky,

My advice would be to do a good old fashioned road trip not only to meet the people so they see your serious and talk to you face to face but it will get you out of your parents house and in tune with the type of aviation you want to get back into. When one has a stacks of experienced resumes with current PPC's or Type ratings for competition you need an edge, you show up looking fit and ready to roll drums and get dirty they won't just bin your "747 big jet jock resume" your being looked at as someone who will just leave as soon as they get that call back to the big jets.

Trust me that's whats going on with your job search, I see it all the time a "Airline Resume" comes across the desk asking for a job on a King Air etc and that's what the perception is that they will just take off as soon as the Airlines start hiring again.

Well off to Timmy ho's in my 4X4 to grab a coffee on the way to the Rifle range, Sure hope I don't slam my dick in the door again that hurt.:{

fourgolds
23rd Feb 2010, 06:16
Hey Scud
There are many Airline Jocks who were bush pilots with thousands of hours of scud running / short field / charter/ relief opps / medevac/ floats/ bla bla bla. Sure they might not be current but have certainly demonstrated and do possess the ability.
They have nothing to prove . However I cant say there are too many that are currently bush pilots who have been 744 Captains yet ( and they still have to prove themselves in that arena) . Welcome to the career ladder !

If you are merely saying , that current Airline guys might find G/A a little challenging as its different to what they are " currently" doing. Sure I agree it might take a little while to get back into it. But its more than possible. Just as its possible for bush pilots etc to become 744 Captains etc.

vrefplus5
23rd Feb 2010, 11:45
Scud...From your ill-thought post, you appear somewhat narrow-minded. :D I wish you well.

Vicky69...Porter Airlines is looking for DEC's... and have hired many with... believe it or not....experience equivalent or exceeding yours. I was tired of overseas, and have been pleasantly surprised with them on my return.

It may be worth a look. Good luck :ok:

ScudRunner08
23rd Feb 2010, 16:55
Hey Scud
There are many Airline Jocks who were bush pilots with thousands of hours of scud running / short field / charter/ relief opps / medevac/ floats/ bla bla bla. Sure they might not be current but have certainly demonstrated and do possess the ability.
They have nothing to prove . However I cant say there are too many that are currently bush pilots who have been 744 Captains yet ( and they still have to prove themselves in that arena) . Welcome to the career ladder !

If you are merely saying , that current Airline guys might find G/A a little challenging as its different to what they are " currently" doing. Sure I agree it might take a little while to get back into it. But its more than possible. Just as its possible for bush pilots etc to become 744 Captains etc.

Did you even read my post?

What I am merely saying is you won't get your foot even through the front door of smaller G/A operators. When I lost my job flying a 727 only a few years out of the bush I fired off a ton of Resumes and made lots of calls and I will Paraphrase the response I got a dozen times "I like your resume and you have all the time and would like to hire you but what happens when the airlines start hiring again? you are probably going to head back as soon as you can."

Obviously I assured them I would stick around and honour whatever time commitment they required, In the end I had to find work in the corporate world not nearly as fun but pays the bills.

Scud...From your ill-thought post, you appear somewhat narrow-minded. :D I wish you well.
Vicky69...Porter Airlines is looking for DEC's... and have hired many with... believe it or not....experience equivalent or exceeding yours. I was tired of overseas, and have been pleasantly surprised with them on my return.
It may be worth a look. Good luck http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif
So please again explain who is narrow minded. If you think this is not the perception out there I would love to know your reasoning. she's asking about Twin otter and beaver jobs not Q400 out of YTZ.

However I cant say there are too many that are currently bush pilots who have been 744 Captains yet Thank you for proving my point, that's exactly what the issue is. You are perceived as a manicured big Airline Pilot who will leave at the first opportunity. I'm not saying Vicky is this, But that is the perception she is struggling against.

fourgolds
24th Feb 2010, 06:03
Hi Scud

Ok , my misunderstanding. I thought you were saying its a "skills" issue. Now I see what you are saying. Its more one of perception , and of perhaps being in a position to jump ship. However many pilots in GA will also jump ship if thats where their aspirations lie.

By the way ,I would actually give both crucial parts of my anatomy to fly a King Air or similar for the right money back home. Any idea,s :} ? The sandpit is a lot worse than the fridge.

Carrier
24th Feb 2010, 17:16
Quote: "By the way ,I would actually give both crucial parts of my anatomy to fly a King Air or similar for the right money back home. Any idea,s ? The sandpit is a lot worse than the fridge."

The grass is always greener elsewhere. This is apt as we do have visible grass in Canada for a few months a year (road repair season). However you should be very cautious and do your due diligence. The problem is that King Airs are operated by 703/704 air operators who tend to be of the bottom feeding type. They treat their pilots as dirt and ignore the terms and conditions of employment. In most cases King Air pilots are also poorly paid. Canadian aviation must have one of the lowest quality levels for "management" in all sectors of Canada's economy.

Take a look at the pay for this job for living in Calgary: AVCANADA • View topic - Air Partners (http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=61572) That's why so many pilots live ten to a house with no furniture to split the costs and run clunker cars!

There are a very few exceptions, who tend to have low turnover as a result. You will have to identify them. You will then will be facing considerable competition to get hired as everyone else wants to work for these very few decent operators.

I know of several King Air pilots who have quit the industry in the past few months, mainly because of the poor quality of management. They had enough of the poor pay and abuse and have moved permanently to other careers.

Left Coaster
25th Feb 2010, 02:57
Sadly, except for one or two operators, it was the same 30 years ago, and doesn't look like it's ever gonna change...but hey, on a good note it was a pretty good day in YVR for hockey, and more medals awarded to Canada...:D

tsgas
26th Feb 2010, 18:34
For every pilot that decides to quit the industry the "puppy mills" are able to produce 5 more eager beavers that will leap for an opportunity to get some quality "turbine time"

As long as this oversupply of pilots is available to operators there is little chance of real change or progress for our lot.

Firestorm
27th Feb 2010, 07:52
Same but worse here in the UK. Low cost airlines are now charging for type ratings, and line training! As a result experienced pilots can't get jobs when laid off without going to the Middle or Far East. Despite having experience on turbo props (Twin Otters & Saabs),and 737s, and 5.500 total time I have been on the dole for 14 months now, and only had 2 interviews.

Sad to hear that the problems are similar in Canada, especially as I did my training in Manitoba after getting bitten by the aviation bug in the Antarctic with both out own pilots, and some crews from Borek who got stranded at our base for 3 weeks.

Good luck for the hockey final this evening :ok: