PDA

View Full Version : when to do my ppl

pilotboy 95
16th Feb 2010, 15:02
I want to do my ppl as young as possible because it takes time to become a pilot who is respected and responsable for everyone in his plane. I am thinking of training at biggin hill because it is the closest airport near my home and the cheapest to get to. At biggin hill their is a club which I would like to do my training at. This is because it is cheaper than a school, however I will need to do work such as washing and cutting grass. I like this idea but I don't know if I would have the time because my gcse's are coming up in about 1 and a half years and everyone is putting ALOT of presure on me.
Should I wait untill after gcse's or do the training during gcse's.( how much will getting a ppl affect my school work)

Skittles
16th Feb 2010, 16:20
There is absolutely no rush to get your PPL, and if you plan on making the money yourself then I would definately advise you to wait until you finish your GCSE's (at least).

Whilst it is possible to do the PPL in a protracted manner, over a fairly long period of time (which I am doing now), in hindsight I would much rather have waited until I could have regular (at least weekly) lessons. You're doing to cut a hell of a lot of grass and do an awful lot of washing to raise the funds for your training. In fact I don't imagine that's feasible, you'll need at least a part time job if you want any level of consistency. The actual training wouldn't affect your education, but the level of work you'd have to do (minimum wage is tiny at your age) almost definately would.

It's easy to think that your training is simply the cost per hours flight x 45. It is nowhere close to this. For a start very few people do the training in 45 hours. That's the bare minimum. You also have to consider;

- Books
- Ground school (if you choose to)
- Tuition and aircraft hire
- Landing fees on cross country
- Class 2 medical
- Examination fees
- Flight compasses/assorted goodies etc.
- Travel to the airfield

Most PPL training facilities quote £5000 - £6000 for a PPL, which I think is on the low scale of things, at least here in the UK.

Perhaps in the meantime you could have a trial flight and see what you think of it (flying isn't for everyone) and it might at least satisfy your interests for a little while!

Edit: Also, you can't fly solo at your age, just so you know.

pilotboy 95
16th Feb 2010, 16:36
so how much will it cost including all the hidden extras then.

Skittles
16th Feb 2010, 18:03
That's something you have to figure out yourself based on the costs of whatever flying school you want to learn at.

Assuming £125ph aircraft + instructor time (which is probably lower than they charge)

- 55 hours (which is the average-ish) = £6875
- Books, including logbook, checklists = £120
- Class 2 medical = £150
- Exam fees = £240
- Whatever the landing fees are at Biggin Hill multiplied by however many times you'll land (a lot)
- Landing fees at airports on your cross country.
- Transport there and back etc.

You do the math. It looks like some of the organisations there offer package deals, but in this climate handing over big sums of money can be very risky.

pilotboy 95
16th Feb 2010, 19:12
I knew this was going to cost alot of money, so thats why I thought it is better to go to a club. They claim that it is a non profeting club because it is a club used for people who love flying. thats why I would have to do my fair share of washing up at the club.(I think this will make training cheaper)

pilotboy 95
16th Feb 2010, 19:56
they are both on grass runways and i don't know how long it will take to get there from fulham, london. to travel to biggin hill would only cost me £2 a day to travel but i think it will cost more to your sugested airports. i s'pose if the attitude is friendly i geuss it is worth more consideration.

Muddy Boots
17th Feb 2010, 01:02
Hello Matey,

If you're in Fulham may I suggest Denham or Elstree? However I'm not so sure how friendly Elstree is. When I'm in London I live in Hammersmith and find Denham easy to get to and it's the right side of London for you. Also there is Fairoaks or High Wycombe but you'd need a car for Wycombe?

On the age thing and when to start, I wish I'd started at 16 rather than 36 as by now I could be a jaded old pilot, hopefully a captain and wishing I had done something else for a career. Instead I did another career and wished I'd flown years ago...

Other ways of doing it cheaply at your age? What about a glider club and then learn some real fundementals of flying. I believe it helps circumvent some of the steps on PPL at a later date...

Muddy Boots

Rocketraz
17th Feb 2010, 14:03
I fully concur with starting out on gliders its far cheaper and you will learn valuable skills that will serve you really well later on when you start your PPL.. The main problem you would have is getting to a location as theres not much in London check out the BGA website for clubs

Remember you can start to learn the theory side now!! i know people that have passed a few exams before ever getting into a cockpit airlaw human performance ETC

Good luck

L'aviateur
17th Feb 2010, 14:22
How about going to your nearest airfield, taking a trial lesson to see how you like it. Then instead of pushing to get on with your PPL, just get involved with the club, try taking advantage of the spare seats in the 'Spare Seats' thread as well as trying to tag along with hour builders or people who want company (who don't expect you to pay half, I only agree with that if the flying is split 50/50 or your going to gain some very valuable experience). You won't be putting any pressure on yourself and won't really be spending any money (just paying for the odd coffee etc), and when you do goto get your PPL you'll be armed with a lot more knowledge, will find it much easier.

This is just any idea, I may be wrong...

CraigJL
17th Feb 2010, 15:37
I started flying for the PPL when I was 14, I'll be 16 next month, preparing for the air law exam, and looking to go solo.

My parents have kindly offered to fund me through the PPL (I know what you're thinking, but they won't be re-mortgaging the house for any further traning). Starting early is a blessing and a sin, I have about 23 hours so far, and occasionally, after not flying for a month or so, I do forget the odd check, but all it takes is a quick revision when you realise your mistake.

The key is to keep on top of learning, and recall procedures often, when not flying.

It is a high workload combined with school exams, but aviation is a hobby for me too so I don't mind the extra effort, if you think you can cope with it.

The protracted way of doing it is probably a little more expensive if you're going to require "refresher" lessons if you've not been for a while. I'd rather amass my knowledge slowly than rushing it in a 3 week jobby. It is possible to lose some knowledge if you do it over a time (3 years if you start now), so if you can keep on top of things, you'll do just fine. :ok:

TrafficPilot
17th Feb 2010, 16:40
pilotboy 95 (http://www.pprune.org/members/316916-pilotboy-95) check your PM's:)

pilotboy 95
17th Feb 2010, 18:47
gliding club is far away and i don't like the idea of not having power. i would like to try out the spare seat thing. thanks for all airport ideas and i am searching each one online. i am saving up for ppl training so i don't realy want to spend that money on being a passenger or gliding, because it is hard to get money at my age although my mum gave me a 1/5 of the money needed last christmas. i am reading a book on plane physics at the moment and it is very hard. i will be saving up untill my ppl training comes.:):):):):):):)

L'aviateur
17th Feb 2010, 19:21
Don't dismiss the idea of gliding just yet, I'd suggest you give it a try. It costs very little in comparison, and I think gliding hours can be acknowledged in some way towards a PPL. I'm also lead to believe that those who go from gliders to powered have better rudder and stick skills (and probably better at chosing fields for forced landings).
I only tried gliding after I got my PPL and realised I should have tried it before.

Also if you have an ATC squadron near you, they often organise 'Air Experience Flights' in the Grob doing aerobatics sorties with the RAF. So also well worth joining.

tomtom_91
17th Feb 2010, 21:19
Pilotboy - Will drop you a PM in a moment

T

@ Callum - What club? The club I am a member of has both young and old pilots is very good and I have not cut the grass...... Yet :}

Also lots of pilots have got there PPLs there and gone to RAF/ onto ATPL studies

barit1
17th Feb 2010, 22:30
40+ years ago -

I was a university student preparing for a US PPL. Several of my dormitory mates were interested in aviation, but not actively pursuing a license.

Two of them were interested enough to study for the written exam with me - no formal ground school, we coached each other in a way. When I took the exam, they did too.

We all passed the written with high marks. I believe one of the others had a higher score than I, even though he had zero hours.

jez d
18th Feb 2010, 14:37
PB, while flying training would no doubt provide a welcome distraction from your impending GCSEs, I would still recommend you get through your exams first.

Then, when you're ready to start PPL training see what cadetship/sponsorship course you can get yourself on to.

There are plenty of PPL scholarships on offer each year and you don't need to be the brain of Britain to be in with a chance of getting yourself selected.

In fact most of the scholarships are under-subscribed each year and as long as you're genuinely enthusiastic and you're willing to commit to intensive training over your summer holidays then you've got as much chance as anyone of getting a free PPL.

An Internet search will quickly show what's on offer in the UK. To get you started here are a couple of leads:

You can join the Air Cadets (there's over 1000 squadrons in the UK, see www.raf.mod.uk/aircadets/ (http://www.raf.mod.uk/aircadets/) ).

If you contact the Caroline Trust (www.carolinetrust.org.uk (http://www.carolinetrust.org.uk) ) you could get some free gliding lessons.

The Guild of Air Pilots & Air Navigators (www.gapan.org (http://www.gapan.org) ) administer a number of PPL scholarships each year on behalf of generous individuals and aviation organisations.

Likewise the Air League (www.airleague.co.uk (http://www.airleague.co.uk) ) administer PPL scholarships on behalf of generous donators.

Good luck, jez