PDA

View Full Version : Just another fun ATPL(A) to ATPL(H) theory question

Heli-Ice
16th Feb 2010, 11:20
My question is basically about finding a new way of skinning the cat.

I would like to ask the ones here that have done what is described below, also you who know how this has been done before?

Scenario:

A student having just finished his ATPL(A) theoretical studies and CAA exams and is a proud holder of a PPL(A) license with approximately 100 flight hours under his belt.

This student decides to skip further aeroplane flying and wishing to train for the CPL(H) and IR(H) and get his ATPL(H) theory credits.

Focusing on the heoretical part only, what is the recommended procedure for him to have his ATPL(A) theory credited towards his ATPL(H) theory?

Is there a way for this person to only take a few exams to get his ATPL(H) theory credits similar to the interim procedure used in the UK?

The more people I ask (even the CAA's of different JAA countries) the more different answers I get.

There must be someone out there who has been in this situation and worked it out.

I know that the regs usually talk about holders of licenses such as the ATPL and all that but they do not deal specifically with situations like these. If they do, it must have slipped my eagle eyes. :cool:

Any help would be appreciated.

Karl.

mad_jock
16th Feb 2010, 13:03
From my limited knowledge of having a look at it in the UK....

All you need to do is sit the rotary specfic papers, so of the top of my head Performance(H) Aircraft Gen (H) Principles of Flight(H) all the rest are vaild for both (A) and (H).

Keeping a live IR(A) will also keep your IR(H) theoretical ATPL credits live and the same in reverse.

I was just looking at doing the PPL and would have just sat the 3 papers at PPL level. My fixed wing stuff would have been credited for the rest.

Heli-Ice
16th Feb 2010, 13:27
Thank you mad_jock

That is what I was looking for, just sitting the exams but not having to sit a whole approved course.

If this is true, then my student is going be happy.

Maybe someone else would care to comment on this?

mad_jock
16th Feb 2010, 14:51
Try in the rotar heads for a more informed answer.

Heli-Ice
16th Feb 2010, 21:50
Yes, I'll try with my fellow rotorheads.