PDA

View Full Version : PPL Renewal/Revalidation

Duchess_Driver
14th Feb 2010, 20:58
I am a UK FI and have a small problem that I'm hoping someonecan help with.

I have been approached by a Canadian who obtained his PPL in Canada some 4 1/2 years ago.

He hasn't flown (for various reasons) since shortly after licence issue and has a total time, including training, of about 70 hours.

He now wants to resume flying in the UK but wants to do this on his Canadian licenses and privilages.

Medical appears valid.

Can someone advise what is needed to get his license current?

If this involves a flight with an examiner/instructor, does anybody know anybody in the UK (London area) who would be willing/able to undertake such.....

Many thanks

DD

Rhys Perraton
15th Feb 2010, 02:26
The answer lies in Canadian Aviation Regulations [CARS] 401.05, recency requirements.
The time limit after which a person would have to write the PSTAR exam again and do a flight review to flight test standards with a QFI is 5 years.
So at less than 5 years he needs to:
Have a current Canadian medical, Class 3 or better for a PPL.
Complete a recurrent training programme or a flight review.
Do 5 take offs and landings if he wants to carry a passenger.
Simplest way to meet the recurrent training programme is to complete the most recent self-paced study programme produced annually in the Transport Canada Aviation Safety Newsletter and retain a copy as evidence of having done so.
Hope this helps.
Rhys
[email protected]

The_Broon
10th Mar 2010, 13:50
Is the "5 years" requirement on type? Specifically, if the person in question has flown jets, and has completed loads of take-off and landings but not on a single engine aircraft...does he have to go through the full recurrency deal to rent a cessna 172? The last time I flew single engine was August '05, but have been flying jets continuously until now.

Rhys Perraton
10th Mar 2010, 19:02
The 5 year requirement is related to category, ie aircraft.
The passenger carrying requirement is related to category and class.
A 172 would be aircraft, single engine land.

Clear as mud....?
CARS 401.05 and standard 401.25