PDA

View Full Version : Reporting to ATC

anttimik
14th Feb 2010, 18:17
Is there any specified thing to say when you are entering a holding pattern? I've heard heard "entering the holding", "(significant point) outbound", "holding X", "holding x established" etc. When asking from three different flight instructors you'll end up with three different answers. As fas as I've understood there is no specified reporting method. I have the impression that you should make a report when you're joining holding pattern.

Second question considering holding patterns is position reporting. According to some people it makes a difference between saying "inbound leg" or "inbound track" :confused: As far as I know there is no specified RT neither.

The last question I have considers reporting when leaving or reaching certain altitude. Should you report when you are, for example, leaving 2000 ft for flight level 100?

What I would like to have is a reference to some kind of document, so I would know if there really is a specific thing to say. I've been searching ICAO documents and such, but was unable to find any answers.

bfisk
15th Feb 2010, 12:30
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP413.PDF

ramzez
16th Feb 2010, 13:15
According to ICAO there isn't a specified thing to say to every possible situation like for example when joining a holding. Just use phrases that are clear, unabiquous and describe what you are doing. That is why you get different answers from different people and they can all be correct. This applies to the inbound track/leg also.

There is no requirement for reporting leaving a level or reaching a level (unless asked to of course). There is an Eurocontrol and IATA recommendation to use expanded phareology when leaving a level (European Action Plan for the Prevention of Level Bust, GEN 1, 5.5).

galaxy flyer
16th Feb 2010, 15:40
Perhaps a Yank oddity, but the Airman's Information Manual, reporting leaving an assigned altitude/level is always a mandatory report. Para 5-4-4, I think. Used to be popular AF instrument written question.

anttimik
16th Feb 2010, 23:44
Thank you for the references! :) After a while when you have heard several universal truths from your teachers, you'll end up quite confused about which situations do have standard phraseology and the ones that don't. I guess I could suck it up, but it's nice to know when you are expected to do something in a specified manner.

To sum it up, there is no standard report for entering holding and reaching or leaving an altitude is not obligatory (expect for US), but recommended practice. Quite right? :)

Spodman
17th Feb 2010, 01:06
What is really needed is a phraseology that clearly reports that despite being told to hold somewhere the pilot is just going to steam straight through...