PDA

View Full Version : Hearth murmur

killua
14th Feb 2010, 16:42
Hello.

I was wondering, on medical exam, is harmelss (tested as a kid) hearth murmur a deal breaking condition? I am active sportsmen since I was 7, that's how they discovered it, when I was registering for my waterpolo team.

Thanks

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
14th Feb 2010, 17:52
Where do you get a hearth murmur? In a fireplace? Da daaaa!

Seriously, try the Medical forum where there are doctors. My wife and my grandson both have heart murmurs and in their cases they're quite innocent.

Good luck.

FantomZorbin
14th Feb 2010, 20:37
If it's any help, FZjr had a heart murmur when a child - subsequently accepted for ATC(Mil) when grown-up(??!). We were told that children can often get such a thing but the heart sorts it out before adulthood ... I hope that this is the case for you.

DX Wombat
14th Feb 2010, 22:13
You may like to look at this thread (http://www.pprune.org/medical-health/313357-systolic-heart-murmur-question.html).

elandel
14th Feb 2010, 22:25
My murmur was first mentioned at my first medical in 1980 - still going strong - I hope!

killua
14th Feb 2010, 22:26
Thanks guys.

No, the murmur was still there when I was 18, they found it when I was testing for military.

Pat42
15th Feb 2010, 09:27
It probably won't be a deal breaker if you've had it for all that time and the doctors don't think its anything to worry about, depends on the specifics really. You'll probably have to see a CAA cardiologist on your initial as well as the normal AME for your medical. It might slow things up a bit and cost you a little extra, but I'd be suprised if it is a complete closed door.

If you are applying with NATS then it might be worth a phone call to their occupational health department, they are really helpful and should be able to answer more specifically.