PDA

View Full Version : Class Rating Instructor: "class" & "type"

betterfromabove
14th Feb 2010, 10:39
Hi

Can someone clarify what is meant by LASORS 2008 Sec H3.2 in terms of the CRI pre-course requirements:

"Completed at least 30 hours PIC on the applicable type or class of aeroplane prior to commencement of the course".

The same ambiguity also appears on the statement concerning adding a new "type or class" in Sec H3.3:

"Before the privileges of the rating are extended to another type or class of aeroplane, the holder shall within the past 12 months have completed a least:
10 hours flight time in aeroplanes of the applicable type or class..."

Now, am I right in interpreting "type" here to be "Type" (i.e. an aircraft requiring a Type rating)?? I'm basing this partly on thinking of where the qualification originating, i.e. allowing company pilots to do checkouts.

I'm coming at this from a purely SEP angle and wondering what kind of hours and currency I would need. My current understanding is that the relevent bit here is that for the CRI (SPA) you need to satisfy 30hrs P1 SEP.....and that (aside from your own comfort to teach it, another question entirely!) any differences are carried forward from your PPL sign-offs?

So, no min hours to teach "differences"...?!?

Many thanks for the help!

Cheers
BFA

S-Works
14th Feb 2010, 11:26
You are correct on your assumption of the difference between class and type. I teach and examine on type rated aircraft at work and SE/ME class rated aircraft in my spare time.

It is my understanding that you need to have 10hrs on each difference you wish to teach as well so 10hrs for tailwheel, turbo etc.

Yes, the differences sign off is carried from your own sign off. You don't need to go and get it again as an Instructor.

I certainly think trying to teach a difference that you have no experience off will leave you in hot water if something goes wrong.

betterfromabove
14th Feb 2010, 11:49
Absolutely. My own Comfort Zone will of course be situated elsewhere, depending on the complexity of the difference. Specifically, am interested in using the CRI to teach tailwheel eventually. Realise would be challenging, but believe would be a really worthwhile thing to do with the CRI qualification.

Any comments out there, or people who've gone similar route, on how many hours T/W before they felt ready to teach it? Is a subjective question I know, but interested to get an order of magnitude(!) Have 30 so far on several types, but looking to get a T/W share to build hours and knowledge further....

It was the reference to "type" in LASORS that find really unclear. In the context, I'm presuming it is lumped together with "class", since some CRI's - with the relevent TRI rating - will be effectively checking out a "type" (say, a C208) and others - more the standard PPL-CRI case - a "class" (SEP) - is this a correct interpretation?!?

And the "10 hours in the past 12 months" rule would also presumably mean "class" in the PPL-CRI case....is that correct??

S-Works
14th Feb 2010, 13:37
Yes in a nutshell, your assumptions are correct.

I had around 500hrs tailwheel time before I taught it. It is one of those areas that needs a good understanding of the subject in order to be able to properly teach it IMHO.

The other differences I had varying amounts between 100 and around 500hrs on. But then I did not get into Instructing until I had a couple of thousand hours. One of the things that drove me towards Instructing was the frustration with poor standards from many only interested in logbook hours and not the passing of knowledge. Despite having an unrestricted FI I actually only use the privileges of the CRI both at work and in my spare time.

Big Pistons Forever
14th Feb 2010, 17:02
I started tailwheel instruction with about 100 hrs PIC of tailwheel time. I had a fair amount of general instructor time, which certainly helped, but in retrospect I should have waited until I had more experience.