View Full Version : Salary

ATC Scandinavia
12th Feb 2010, 12:32
So.....How much does a pilot earn these days?

flyhighspeed300
12th Feb 2010, 17:04
If you got a Frozen ATPL with 250hrs
all ratings kept current

your likely to get a job that you pay to fly...

c.c PPrune advert with Airbus self fly scheme
you find another £30K-£40K, for the type rating

and they will give you 300-500hrs to fly with them. after this 95% ditch you.

so they don't even give you peanuts

:{

redsnail
12th Feb 2010, 19:27
I earn €110,000 a year.

(+ LoL, BUPA healthcare, kidnap and ransom insurance, uniforms, free car park, pension, roster 6 on 5 off and 22 days leave)

tom775257
13th Feb 2010, 08:29
I get paid as a first officer A320 (year 2 in this airline): Around £52,000 + private healthcare + loss of licence insurance + company matches and doubles what I contribute to my pension.

Previous airline FO A320 paid around 30,000 Euros

As a flying instructor I was paid around £11,000 per year working 6 days per week.

Piltdown Man
13th Feb 2010, 09:09
Our thieving government get £30k a year of me to pay off their banking cronies.

PM

hollingworthp
13th Feb 2010, 10:30
Seriously?

redsnail
13th Feb 2010, 10:30
Absolutely, it's in our package. :ok:

Blackcoffeenosugar
13th Feb 2010, 12:22
Which I'd known that in the Imperial Palace (Moscow) :E

And free car parking in LHR?? - Good one!

Dupre
13th Feb 2010, 13:12
Equivalent of Euro 14,700 per annum before tax. For flying Caravans around Botswana.

hollingworthp
13th Feb 2010, 13:27
Cool - I didn't know that!

PS - is there a e100 excess? :uhoh:

waco
13th Feb 2010, 14:37
So........how much does a Greek urn then?

redsnail
14th Feb 2010, 13:17
Blackcoffeenosugar,

I don't park at LHR :ok:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
15th Feb 2010, 14:30
I am under worked and over paid :E.

redsnail
16th Feb 2010, 13:53
I am a captain with Netjets Europe. (I started as an FO €56,000 + allowances)

Previously,
FO Streamline/Emerald Airways, Shorts 330/360 £18,000
Night Ops Assistant for Streamline. (6 months pro rata £16,000)

FO Dash 8 Qantaslink $A56,000 (plus night stop etc allowances)
FO Bandit/Twotter $A33,000 (plus not much)
Single pilot ops
BN2B "captain" Surveillance Australia $A34,000 (plus not much else)
C206,C207,C210, Partenavia, Alligator Airways $A25,000 (plus nothing)
Part time flight instructor. $A20/hr

Pay them? Why would I do that? :confused:

alphaadrian
16th Feb 2010, 17:00
F/O turboprop pilot...£22000 per annum. Previously MEIR Instructor at £27000 per annum.

:ok:
Alpha

jetjockeyusa
18th Feb 2010, 05:50
Crap if you fly for the airlines.

Good if you fly executive for the elite (I do not mean Netjets and any of that crap, I mean, flying for one of the richest people on the planet)

Executive also gives you the chance to interact with people that at times got over 10 000 people working for them. It can also open you many other doors, believe me. You are treated well, on lay overs you are in 5 star hotels and usually for a weekend get about 1000$ to spend (not deducted from salary obviously). Depending where, but you can find places you fly 20-30 hours a month, this gives you actually enough time to pursue a hobby and have a family without stress. You earn double of what airline guys make. I flew for the airlines, then did a break doing scenic flights (had enough with airlines) while parallel working on getting into the executive aviation for a very, very rich person.

In Executive aviation if you land the right job you only fly the newest and the best which makes flying so much more fun. Not to mention you hang out in executive FBOs and do not get yelled at and assaulted during christmas by unruly passengers with the "I am with the airport freak out attitude". People actually call you home when there is a flight cancellation. Reserves does not exist and unlike with companies like NetJets you can actually communicate with your chief pilot and ask if it is ok if you go somewhere for a longer weekend and if someone can vouch for you in case there is a flight.

Things like that. The day I lose my job is the day I quit aviation which will not be anytime soon tho, as I said, you build up a special relationship with your boss, a billionaire. Even if he decides to sell his airplanes, people like that only got other billionaires as friends and basically hand you over to those other guys.

Executive aviation is the way to go, replying to your answer, copilot flying a large jet, falcon2000, gs450 etc makes about in USD maybe 10 000 -15 000$ a month and a captain makes pretty much the double.

austrian71
18th Feb 2010, 08:39
I am not with this so called "I fly the richest and therefore fly as the best pilot within the best environment" philosophy. Couple of my buddies having the same mentality like previous poster left my company, went to a very rich arabic man with a lot of oil and an expected gV job, gues what happened? The order of the so rich man for the GV was canceled, he told the pilots "I am so sorry", they cant go back to the so called "crap" company, believe me, they would be happy. Generally I dont rate other companies with "crap" or something like this, normally this is done by pilots who failed their sreening and are frustrated, but any how, my message: Never sell you sole to a very rich single private operator, from one moment to another you could be bad surprized. To answer the question: netjets captain on jobshare off, earning 60% of redsnail, flying beside as LT/TRE for additional 2000-4000 eur / month, and if I need the written approval from my fleetchief I reach him personal, get it within 24 hrs as an approvement by management, I thinks its not so "crap" ;)

mutt
18th Feb 2010, 15:45
copilot flying a large jet, falcon2000, gs450 etc makes about in USD maybe 10 000 -15 000$ a month and a captain makes pretty much the double.

Are you sure about these figures? NJME are paying circa $13.5k (Average) per month and thats considered GOOD..... US$30k seems excessive for a normal corporate pay structure!

Mutt

African Drunk
21st Feb 2010, 23:40
I would agree. Their were some guys in Russia on good money before the markets crashed but they were talking alot less than $30k.

jetjockeyusa
22nd Feb 2010, 05:37
Mutt,

As I said, there is a difference between the NetJets Corporate Aviation (I usually call it so) and the Executive Aviation (where you fly some guy whose corporation has more power than a particular country in the world). The figures I mentioned differ indeed. Simply because depending for whom you fly you get so and so much money.
Again, a billionaire is not going to pay you an average salary, some might, but some are proud of their aircrafts and even more proud of their pilots and those will pay you extremely well.

Also, I forgot to mention. When you need to fly them somewhere during christmas season, most of the times you get to take your girlfriend along in their airplanes too so you can spend christmas together with your girl, which is extremely nice.

At last, I really am not going to argue with anyone about the salary issue because I know well what I get paid, it might differ but flying a gs450 for netjets and a gs450 for Mr.Billionaire is not at all the same thing.

Cheers

jetjockeyusa
22nd Feb 2010, 05:52
Austrian
I am very sorry what happened to your buddies but that is the exact reason I would never fly for a Saudi rich person or in the UAE in general. First of all, I do not like it down there. Building the highest structures of the world and most expensive airports and golf courses with indoor Ski-slopes while their population drowns in poverty does not at all impress me. Living in a hotel, does not matter how many stars it has, is also not my thing unless I only do it on layovers.

The mentality of such rich people is different. First of all if you carry a bag for them and you drop it by accident like a buddy of mine (we all have our aviation pals down there), then he was humiliated, yelled at that he was too stupid to carry a bag, how could he ever manage to fly a plane.

Also a misconception. Although most think that the folks at UAE are the kings of the world are wrong. Their place will go down in latest 50 years when their oil is gone and the next problem arouses, which is the need for water. That will be when they fall apart and maybe even a reason for the outbreak of the next major war. I am sure some of you read the same things.

Anyway, I personally stay away from those places, salary is not even that good actually, it is ok, you live for free and pay nothing as to tax, but there your boss really does not give a crap about you, you are just some Euro or American Infidel and that attitude of my boss is enough for me to not even go there. Of course not all are like that, but there is plenty.

Also another reason I do not go there is because companies like Execujet, Jet Aviation etc etc run the salary contracts via themselves. This means they interview you, get you a job and work out all the paper issues for you. I do not like such things because salary is never what it should be and there are too many points in it usualy for the good of the company and that is another issue.

It is not very common that you get into flying executives that actually also fly their own airplanes and are aviation freaks even more than myself, that have their best friend from highschool being the chief pilot and also in charge of a fleet of over 10 airplanes the smallest being a Citation V and the largest and not yet arrived GS650 who is also the person in charge of recruitment. If you have such a team looking over your shoulder I promise you, that you will have the best time in aviation one can hope to have. On top of that comes the salary, financial crisis or not. (those guys actually thought things through before buying airplanes, which many Russians did not)

Hope this could help

Grass strip basher
22nd Feb 2010, 06:15
JetjockyUSA have you ever actually lived in the Middle East??

"Although most think that the folks at UAE are the kings of the world are wrong. Their place will go down in latest 50 years when their oil is gone and the next problem arouses, which is the need for water. That will be when they fall apart and maybe even a reason for the outbreak of the next major war. I am sure some of you read the same things."

That is some rant you just went on... yeah the place is very bad at certain things but your generalisations are what get the yanks such a bad name internationally... after all we all know the USA has no-one living in poverty whilst others live it up....

Luke SkyToddler
22nd Feb 2010, 06:17
Jetjockey - well congratulations to you, whatever job you have you're obviously happy in it. I have met the pilots of a few of the richest guys on earth, and they aren't on anything like as much as the figures you are throwing around. I certainly know at least one ex-Gulfstream driver of a very very rich Englishman, who now works for Easyjet, and the guy is very happy where he is, slags off at his old boss at every oportunity and would never ever go back to his old lifestyle. It's probably a great job for a single person who doesn't mind being at the beck and call of a rich master 24/7/365 and potentially going on the road for months at a time away from home, but for anyone who ever wants to have wife, kids or a life of their own, it can be the most hellish lonely job in the world.

Also - for every nice, considerate, western, billionaire private owner who treats his pilots well, there's 10 more who are considered to be arrogant middle eastern and russian S.O.B.'s who play fast and loose with the FTL scheme and go nuts when the guys don't want to take off a few tons overweight or try to explain that a Gulfstream can't actually land on the same 2000' grass runway as a C206.

Netjets (whether it's Europe or America) is widely considered one of the best executive aviation jobs in the world and plenty of people have left their positions working for private owners of bizjets in order to go there, and enjoy the benefits of stable rostering, varied flying, and all the perks that Red listed.

In the context of this being a "wannabes looking for first job" forum though it's kind of academic, in the current environment if anyone offers to pay you any money to fly anything that burns kerosene, let alone a squillionaire private owner OR netjets or anything else, then for gods sake take the job and cling onto it like a starfish to a rock.

Back on topic - I fly RHS, longhaul A330 for a mid eastern mega carrier and get, in the hand, tax free about $US8 - 9,000 every month, I also get a free 3 bed apartment with free utilities etc. Pretty good free medical insurance, loss of licence, appallingly bad pension, and all the shawarmas you can eat :E

----------

edited to say :
The guy made a couple of new posts while I was writing mine.

In my experience if there's ONE thing that fabulously wealthy private owners value above all else in their employees, it is tactfulness, maturity, discretion, and a very very low likelihood of shooting their mouth off in public about things they don't really understand.

All the private-exec pilots I know, in fact have the exact opposite personality traits to those being displayed by our friend jetjockey here.

I would even go so far as to place large bets with the PPRUNE readership, that we are getting trolled by some immature teenager whose jet experience is limited to MS flight sim.

GA Button
22nd Feb 2010, 09:16
The first question I would ask of an employer offering "kidnap and ransom" insurance is - why? ;-)

mad_jock
22nd Feb 2010, 10:41
I am suprised at reds mentioning it to be honest. When I had it we were sat down with a security consultant and told not to mention it to anyone because if the badies etc knew you had it you became a more worthwhile target. In fact I don't think the FO's knew we had it.

Many eastern european and Mafia dominated countrys have issues with kidnap. Pilots are seen as rich easy pickings we stay in the same hotels use local taxis etc etc.

Its a risk factor which isn't usually discussed with those that don't need know, and some forms of aviation carry a higher risk than others.

There will be alot more companys than you expect carrying this insurance for there pilots, and in the majority of cases the pilots won't have a clue they have it. Its one of the stipulations in the service contract that they don't know.

mutt
22nd Feb 2010, 10:50
Anyway, I personally stay away from those places Is this from the same person who previously posted about his career in Africa flying Cessnas?

Anyway, for those starting out in aviation, I would strongly suggest that you don't build your expectations on finding a corporate owner willing to pay you a fabulous salary because he loves aviation :):)

The law of supply and demand exists in the corporate world as much as in the commercial airline world.

Mutt

piloot73
22nd Feb 2010, 10:58
Just help the thread-starter;

Pilot Jobs Network - for students of pilot schools and experienced airline pilots (http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/)

:ok:

redsnail
22nd Feb 2010, 13:29
I just thought it was amusing. A bit different to the uniform and parking thing. :}

Luke SkyToddler
22nd Feb 2010, 21:26
Yes mad-jock I know what you mean ... those women from Stornoway and Benbecula ... kidnap insurance was pretty much essential for any single male pilot unloading the newspapers :D:D:D

StoneColdCloggie
24th Feb 2010, 11:43
Not sure what this JetJockey dude has been eating, but sure sounds like he is having some issues there.

Personnaly I find it pretty rude and stupid to make these kind of comments, especially if they are on things that you do not know anything about, and then to make it even worse blowing your own horn so loud.

Myself at the moment furlounghed, but got a office job instead managing part of the business, make $ 4000,- Net for that and about $ 1000,- for the no-flying.

XXPLOD
25th Feb 2010, 13:46
I know one pilot who flies for a very high net worth individual. I believe he makes a good salary but not twice+ what would appear to be the industry standard.

If there is one thing I have noticed about very wealthy people, it's that they didn't get very wealthy by needlessly spending vastly more money than they need to.

Muvo85
25th Feb 2010, 17:41
27,300euros for 12months. I work 6 months a year (4 wks on, 4 wks off :))
+
Allowances, average over one year = 5,500euros (paid for 4 wks on)
So a rough per year salary of 32,800euros approx.
+
Medical Insurance, loss of license, free accom. during the 4wks on and uniform, medical renewal, all traveling etc.
A year into a 3yr contract on a Twotter in Africa (f/o).
Got job outta school with 230TT.
Not a bad deal IMHO and reading the EZY threads on here I'm glad I didn't take the SSTR route!

g109
26th Feb 2010, 03:16
jetjockey; you are an IDIOT!!!!! and VERY naive!!!