PDA

View Full Version : REX Bleeding pilots

bigbrother
6th Feb 2010, 01:09
Word is that REX has begun the haemorage of it's crew. Sydney, and Melbourne but other ports seeing the outflow of crew. Is it the begining of the end? Just how long can the company compete with older aircraft, especially if rumours of an unknown carrier coming in to play in the Turbo market on domestic routes.

KRUSTY 34
6th Feb 2010, 05:14
Probably a little early to start hammering the nails (in the coffin) just yet BB!

The fact is, no-one knows just how many "experienced" crew REX will lose this year, but it may once again become ugly. five(5) definites at this stage, all Captains. Rumour has it dozens have had interviews. OUCH!

The problem is, with the depleted state of experience, it won't have to be as bad as last time to result in serious disruptions to the schedule. Will REX survive? I think (hope) it will. You never know, maybe the board will ask the right questions this time, but I doubt it.

Interesting year ahead. :ouch:

Mr. Hat
6th Feb 2010, 07:43
Why would you stay if the opportunity to fly for a major arises (read NOW)?

Please don't give me the "regional lifestyle...small company family" story.

EBA time you get spat on (not referring specifically to REX BTW just ga/regionals ect). Suddenly the time comes to show a clean set of heels and people stay. I don't get it.

I've been given the:

Don't want to pay 30k. (get a calculator will you or abacus if you prefer)
Morally wrong to pay 30k (but ok to sign for sh!t conditions at current job)
Love the "lifestyle". (8 days off and called in on every reserve)
"Family" environment. (intimidation and tea and bikkies if you fart)
Don't want to be a number. (they'll drop you whenever they want: GFC II)
They dont wear a hat (and thus i wont feel as important)
They work you to death you know...(I've got a mate he works sooo much...)
On my salary I'd take a pay cut. (so you are retiring in the next few years?)
Oh I'd have to shift.(gotta be a base in nearly every city now bar TennantCk)
We are getting a single isle jet/73/320 the COO told me at a BBQ. (you're not)
They don't do real flying its quite boring at airline level.(have u flown for one?)
"They" screwed the industry. (no you did by voting for the last eba)

God I could go on all day.

Sure I understand the Tigers and Vaus of the world aren't quiet up to scratch in certain areas but J* VB QF CX has gotta be better than split doubles!

Anyway just interested in why people stay but whinge all day on the flight deck...

JetA_OK
6th Feb 2010, 12:04
Mr Hat - they'll probably whinge wherever they go. The whingeing doesn't stop when they move on from Rex. Its just that wherever they go next they can't whinge ABOUT Rex.

There is another point you may have overlooked; in my experience some people CAN'T get a job anywhere else, and I don't mean just Rex people either. Alot of the excuses you cite are just that, excuses.

scumbag
6th Feb 2010, 12:19
maybe mr hat, we are all not so occupationally vain as the likes of you to progress?

think about it mf!

Horatio Leafblower
6th Feb 2010, 19:49
"occupationally vein"?

Is that a pun on "Rex bleeding pilots?

...or do you mean "vain"?

...and if so what is "occupational vanity"?

... and what does vanity have to do with career progression?

So many questions for a Sunday morning... :hmm:

bigbrother
6th Feb 2010, 20:12
now lads play nice! It's a big sand pit and where all in it together, more or less. Back to the attrition numbers. A good contact tells me that 40 REX crew are on HOLD Files, and numbers for upgrade are in the teens. From a business model point of view the head office boys at REX have kept the thing alive through some pretty tough times, and made a profit. Not a bad effort in the current times. But, one of the boys tells me the EBA was a ****e deal with no real increase in pay, or conditions. Its been said before, that LKH considers pilots overpaid bus drivers. I remember not many years ago driving busses for more money. I guess that made me the dummy. The race to the bottom continues unforntuately across the industry. The real fly in the ointment, and this is yet to come true, is the new Regional player. REX will really be hammered if another operator comes in with an airconditioned, newer machine to capture the paying publics attention. I'm told the SAAB is a sweat box in summer, and chiller in winter.

Jetstarpilot
6th Feb 2010, 21:42
Scummy, with a "command":rolleyes: of the English language as displayed in your post

occupationally vein

its no wonder you haven't progressed to the majors.

As I've said before and scumbags so ineloquently displayed

Flying a fast jet is not within everyones ability:ugh:

Just stick with what you know son;)
http://monkeybizness.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/budget-airline-pilot.jpg

43Inches
6th Feb 2010, 21:47
REX will really be hammered if another operator comes in with an airconditioned, newer machine to capture the paying publics attention. I'm told the SAAB is a sweat box in summer, and chiller in winter.

Rex already competes with the Q400 and Jets on a number of routes. It has made little impact on their services as the larger aircraft can not drum up enough passengers to increase the frequency. The SAAB would be hard to beat on 90% of the routes it services as they are ideal for a high frequency commuter service for a 20-40 seat aircraft. At the end of the day the SAAB is comfortable enough so passengers just choose the lowest fare at the most convenient time.

fritzandsauce
6th Feb 2010, 21:59
As 43 said the Saab offers more frequencies and this is very important to the businesses or government traveler who generally purchase the higher or full fares. They want to spend as little time possible out in a regional town and want to be home before dinner is served. Even if getting home earlier by 45mins may cost $100 more they don't care (probably because they're not paying for it) Just how long can the company compete with older aircraft well considering they dont compete with anyone on 3/4 of their routes ....

scumbag
6th Feb 2010, 22:13
there you go girls...

btw jetstarpilot, is that your wedding photo? let me guess.. thats you in the right hand seat? i sure do like your wife's 'get up'!

i also like that our user names are so so similar! we should catch up for a beer!

Compylot
6th Feb 2010, 23:38
its no wonder you haven't progressed to the majors.

As I've said before and scumbags so ineloquently displayed

Flying a fast jet is not within everyones ability:ugh:

So if I was interested in flying a 'fast' jet, should I then be an arrogant, yet eloquent t*sser?

What about 'slower' jets, do they require as much eloquence to fly?

occupationally vain

Love it! :ok:

breakfastburrito
7th Feb 2010, 00:11
Flying a fast jet is not within everyones abilities
SkyGod 2.0

43Inches
7th Feb 2010, 00:14
Originally Posted by jetstarpilot
Flying a fast jet is not within everyones abilities

What are you saying, after the invaluable experience flying the twotter in PNG that guy is now a check captain with J*. Still has a problem with uniforms though...

40Deg STH
7th Feb 2010, 00:18
Jetstar,

An Airbus is not a fast jet!!;)
You appear to be new to jets.

greenslopes
7th Feb 2010, 00:28
Horatio........... Put down that Magic Mushy! How dare you combine wit with with lateral thought.

Time Out!!

Falling Leaf
7th Feb 2010, 01:50
Wow, another Dunnunda thread that has done little else but end up as another slanging match between 'professional pilots' (howls of outrageous laughter...)

How f%$ken unusual.:ugh:

Cravenmorehead
7th Feb 2010, 02:10
I agree falling leaf.
You get what you pay for: just as surely as you get out of a career what you put into it. I hate to think what these chappies will get if this way of thinking and argument permeates into their every day affairs.
Craven

dodgybrothers
7th Feb 2010, 02:22
jetstar? A major? Christ Ive heard it all now. GA with jets is the best way to describe the cockrag outfit.

John Citizen
7th Feb 2010, 03:09
Flying a fast jet is not within everyones ability

There is nothing hard about flying a "fast jet" :confused:

Does this mean you struggle with it ? :eek:

I find it a lot easier than a turboprop actually, especially with all the fancy automation, a FMC / FMGS / FMGC and everything else onboard. :ok:

Mr. Hat
7th Feb 2010, 05:27
I apologize if I offended anyone but simply can't get my head around people that whinge all day long about the company on the flight deck but then when the opportunity arises to leave they don't.

Don't know if I'm occupationally vain I just prefer to match the criticisms I might have with actions (clean set of heels when the time comes).

Not sure if that makes me a "MF".

Again nothing aimed specifically at REX or Qflink ect. Just trying to get my head around the concept.

tail wheel
7th Feb 2010, 05:39
How f%$ken unusual. :ugh:

Indeed! :mad: