PDA

View Full Version : Atlas Air 747C drops a flap track fairing

repariit
5th Feb 2010, 17:48
Here's the news: Piece of plane falls into Miami International Mall parking lot - Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking-news/story/1464926.html)

barit1
5th Feb 2010, 19:06
I recall a BA 747-100 pulling the same trick at BOS early 70s.

rasobey
5th Feb 2010, 19:36
I always wondered what they were called - if it's what I'm thinking of, anyway :ok:

Can anyone explain what the "flap track fairing" does, though?

AmericanFlyer
5th Feb 2010, 19:47
The Sky Isn't Falling But Plane Parts Are - cbs4.com (http://cbs4.com/local/plane.parts.part.2.1472943.html?hpt=T2)

BigJoeRice
5th Feb 2010, 20:06
They're called "canoes" and they're the aerodynamic cover for the trailing edge flap track and its drive jackscrew.

RatherBeFlying
5th Feb 2010, 20:41
A bunch of folks would be facing charges for attempted manslaughter:eek:

AlpineSkier
5th Feb 2010, 21:09
@RBF

So do you believe the correct response should be :

"Oh well, these things happen ? "

421dog
5th Feb 2010, 22:09
I've gotta think "attempted manslaughter" is an oxymoron. Reckless endangerment, perhaps, but c'mon, cut the froggies a little slack....

muduckace
6th Feb 2010, 08:03
Loved a TV news statement that said a part of the landing gear fell in the parking lot. How do I get a job as a "aviation expert for the news stations"... Really anyone hiring? I have a great job now but if you are willing to pay me more to keep you from sounding like the dumb asses that are currently employed by you I would be happy to help!!

Tinwacker
8th Feb 2010, 14:43
can be a bit fiddly to refit after they've been removed and it might not be as obvious as you'd think to spot when they've not been properly secured.

Yes maybe, but not good enough. If it cannot be adequately inspected as connected then despatch should not be permitted. Function check would have shown if bolts not connected, there are only two at the front and a very large pin on the rear link. This does form part of the wing flaps. Duplicate inspection to consider.

Boeing has SBs for the fairing attachment to the end of the flap track, fitting corrosion and bolt failure...

Very lucky this monster canoe didn't wrap round the stabiliser leading edge.

For info aircraft can be flown with movable fairing removed and a fuel performance penalty applied.

TW

lpokijuhyt
8th Feb 2010, 15:04
So what, that's nothing. Evergreen dropped an entire engine in Walmart parking lot outside Anchorage in the early 1990s. Top that...Atlas!

Tinwacker
8th Feb 2010, 15:30
Ouch...

Cheap parking rates at 50c per hour

TW

CR2
9th Feb 2010, 20:18
Point of fact... It was not a 747C. AFAIK every single one of that series is retired. It was a 400SF.