PDA

View Full Version : How Effective is Alpha Floor in the A380?

Mill Worker
4th Feb 2010, 22:23
:ok:I was wondering how effective is Alpha Floor in the A380? Perhaps some pilots that have tried it out recently could enlighten us all. Does the rate of onset change much with flap retraction technique during a go around?

Dani
4th Feb 2010, 22:31
What do you mean? I'm not flying the beast, but I have few reason to believe that Alpha Floor Protection is something different to any other flybywired Airbusses: Above a certain angle of attack (below a certain speed), the engines go to TOGA by themselves.

And what does it have to do with Go Arounds?

Dani

White Knight
4th Feb 2010, 23:00
Who cares - it works.... YAWN...... Too many reggie s. potters on this forum:{:{

737Jock
4th Feb 2010, 23:11
If you encounter alpha floor on your go-arounds you might want to request some extra simulator training!:}

Mill Worker
5th Feb 2010, 01:01
I am not sure why the moderators have moved the thread to this obscure area but it is possibly because I was being a bit too subtle in my inquiry.

What I should of asked is what it the supposed story behind the A380 operated in the Persian Gulf over speeding everything on approach and then ending up in Alpha Floor in the go around. Something to do with going from flap FULL to 0 in one go?

737Jock, I totally agree. The term remedial training comes to mind.

The moderators may like to consider moving this back to its original position.

lion-g
5th Feb 2010, 12:34
From my understanding, the 380 alpha-floor will activate automatically when it exceed the AOA threshold between IAS of (alpha-prot and alpha-max) as specified by the alpha-floor protection.

REGARDLESS of configuration, once the AOA threshold is exceeded, TOGA thrust is applied, regardless of engagement of autothrust.

Alpha-floor is only available from lift-off to 100'RA and only in Normal Law.

Other conditions that activate it are:- Either the AOA protection is active(IAS below alpha-prot) or the pitch up attitude protection(pitch attitude above 25 degrees) is active AND the sidestick is close to full back.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
lion-g

Less Hair
5th Feb 2010, 12:44
There is a great website where you can get an overview of Airbus flight control laws, modes and protections:

Airbus Flight Control Laws (http://www.airbusdriver.net/airbus_fltlaws.htm)

yoyonow
5th Feb 2010, 16:09
Mill worker,I believe sim practice on a day off sorts it..

Less Hair
5th Feb 2010, 16:28
I have personally witnessed onboard an airbus A380 special demonstration flight (with airbus flight crew and guest pilots) where alpha floor was intentionally (briefed, supervised) triggered in flight. It worked very smooth as advertised and without any hickups. BTW the max speed protection worked as well.