PDA

View Full Version : RIP Sqn Ldr Mac Macconnachie (Ret'd)

DICK DOLEMAN
1st Feb 2010, 16:03
Very sad to report that 'Mac' died on Saturday 30th Jan after an operation for lung cancer and at the age of 79.

'Mac' was a fantastic character, a very loyal friend, and much loved by the many who worked with and for him. He started his RAF career as a pilot ( Meteors - he had very strong legs !!) before transferring to Air Traffic Control. He served with me at Midland Radar in the late 1960s and then went on promotion to a staff job at the 'Roundhouse'. He was also quite famous as SATCO RAF Binbrook in the Lightning days.

I feel very privileged to have known and worked with him but I must admit that he lead me astray on many occasions as a junior officer; in mitigation,I did not object and thoroughly enjoyed it !!

He is survived by Stevie and his daughter Wendy. The funeral will be a quiet family affair but if you wish to send condolences please PM me. Cancer Research UK is the nominated charity should you wish to make a donation.

Bless you Mac, I know you are up there mate and looking down !!

Two-Tone-Blue
2nd Feb 2010, 11:22
Sad news. One of the real characters. RIP, Mac.

BTW, DD - you never needed leading astray. You went there on autopilot ;)

Get me some traffic
2nd Feb 2010, 21:43
Very sad news. "Black" Mac was my SATCO at RAF Leuchars. He was a true gent and a real character. I remember incidents with the Officers Mess cannon and certain mess games. He constantly "advised" my then girlfriend who became my wife!!! He sent me on a "moral leadership" course and arranged for me to cruise with the grey funnel line on board HMS Ark Royal. We are much poorer for his passing. Thanks Mac, RIP.

DICK DOLEMAN
4th Feb 2010, 09:18
'Mac' once swam the Menai Straits at night while under the influence and was very lucky to survive.

While serving on a Meteor squadron in post war occupation times in Germany, he and other squadron members 'borrowed' a train.

While serving in the Berlin Air Safety centre a like minded Russian officer took 'Mac' on a drinkex on the Eeatern side of the wall.....quite illegally. 'Mac' got lost and separated from his Russin friend for a mjor part of the night before being rescued by him. No Gulag for 'Mac' fortunately

'Mac' has had more scrapes than my car !!!