PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Equipment List - Dispensation Authorisation

lion-g
1st Feb 2010, 12:41
Hi Guys,

Just out of curiosity, if anyone has encountered a Dispensation Authorization (DA) in their career? If any, please share with us and I would like to know under what scenarios in your opinion will a DA be given?

Thanks

Cheers,
lion-g :)

kijangnim
1st Feb 2010, 14:38
Greetings,
Never in 28 Years, but one way for it to happen would be that as MEL customisation takes place and the Airline input if more restrictive than the Airframer, to avoid AOG, they could DA providing that the Airframer MEL CDG is respected.

lion-g
2nd Feb 2010, 07:00
Thanks for the reply.

Was trying to crack my brain to think of an example but no joy so far.

Nightrider
2nd Feb 2010, 08:51
Dispensations can be issued only on a temporary situation and if other limitations are observed or implied. A dispensation may be valid only for a ferry flight, positioning etc...
As a matter of fact, the procedure is very similar to obtaining a CofA for ferry to maintenance.

There are, however, airlines around, which provide their own "dispensation" on a permanent basis. I.e. removing MEL pages from the manual....very difficult to spot as the MMEL is usually not available to cross-check.

kijangnim
2nd Feb 2010, 10:18
Greetings
Missing page or information then it is NoGo

gusting_45
2nd Feb 2010, 22:39
One off dispensations from normal restrictions are NOT that extraordinary but a huge FAFF and not a run of the mill response to tech problems.

We have a Flight Crew Authorisation system which permits the captain to defer a specific list of defects if detected down-route at locations where engineering coverage is not available. Thus preventing AoG problems which would otherwise require an engineer's authorisation to resolve. They are all within the authorised deferral limits of the MEL. The benefit is that the captain has the authority to sign off on the ENGINEERING requirement of the MEL item as well as the OPERATIONAL requirement.

Don't know if this is what you were originally referring to but hope it is useful info.

john_tullamarine
2nd Feb 2010, 22:59
very difficult to spot as the MMEL is usually not available to cross-check

For US MMEL, all are available for download at the FAA website (http://fsims.faa.gov/PICResults.aspx?mode=Publication&doctype=MMEL). Keep in mind that the operator is entitled to generate an MEL quite different from the MMEL with the proviso that relevant approval processes are met.

permits the captain to defer a specific list of defects ... the captain has the authority to sign off on the ENGINEERING requirement of the MEL item as well as the OPERATIONAL requirement.

In general this will require that the captain has had sufficient training in the relevant engineering requirements to be issued with a Maintenance Authority to cover that activity.

Tinwacker
3rd Feb 2010, 08:30
My company does give rare dispensations when requested by the captain only and not from the ground engineer.

Flight Tech Ops department and Engineering would both evaluate the system and first see if the master DDG has better relief than the company DDG which may be more stricter.
The dispensation if granted will be for that crew to fly a single sector only.

Another example has been a test required by the DDG that didn't work to prove the system functionability. Engineering has come up with an alternative test procedure that adequately confirms a safe and operational system.

The dispensation would then be issued and in this case a supporting engineering maintenance concession to list a procedure for the ground engineer to carry out the alternate test.

TW

Nightrider
3rd Feb 2010, 08:53
For US MMEL, all are available for download at the FAA website. Keep in mind that the operator is entitled to generate an MEL quite different from the MMEL with the proviso that relevant approval processes are met.

Yes John, this is very true.
All regulatory bodies I worked with insisted to have a sentence in the approved MEL similar to:"This MEL is based on the manufacturers MMEL and will in no case be less restrictive than the MMEL."
As said, there are companies which simply remove a page in the MEL after the same was approved..... How are you going to find out if there is no MMEL on board?
And how will you ever discover this if the item is not installed also it was a mandatory retrofit years ago?

Yes, items installed and not mentioned in the MEL are essential and if faulty an engineering action is required before flight.

john_tullamarine
3rd Feb 2010, 18:45
Afraid I can't answer your documentation question .. but you answer your main problem in your last statement.