PDA

View Full Version : Gates at US Apts

balaton
31st Jan 2010, 22:11
Just thumbing through some Jepp charts of major US airports I've found that only a selected few contain info on pier, gate or parking spot designators (numbers). I've checked the US NOA charts and to my surprise these do not contain parking info at all.
How could you - dear experienced US flyers - find your assigned spot at a complex, major airport?
( When you hear: "taxi via alfa, alfa2, bravo then mike to gate 45..." and you are staring at a rough sketch of the airport layout without any details on it.)
Perhaps I miss something obvious.. Could you explain?
b

stilton
31st Jan 2010, 23:47
Each Airline will have it's own customised Airport information sheet that is kept with the Jeppesens (commonly called a 10-7)

This shows where all relevant gates are with any other pertinent information required.

The Jeppesen 10-9B chart will usually show all gates on the Airport as well.

galaxy flyer
1st Feb 2010, 00:09
Like a lot things aviation in the US, we assume if you don't know it, you don't need to know. Go into most US airports on a CAVOK day and you will be asked to identify a plethora of landmarks, "cleared visual approach after passing XXXX, maintain 2000 feet until the freeway on final".

Most of us don't know 'em. At least, you have time to find the gate, Depart Santa Ana, CA on a busy morning. Auctioneers are slower.

GF

balaton
1st Feb 2010, 00:38
Yes, but... flying a bizjet and finding a selected FBO is easy, at least you can obtain general directions from various publications. But flying commercially, for e.g. an ad-hoc charter to say KJFK can be interesting, especially if you don't have custom Jepp plate on board (or using only NOA charts for that matter). You will be unable to identify even your asigned pier/area, not to speak of an outer, remote stand. One just wonder why it is not published...
b

galaxy flyer
1st Feb 2010, 01:34
I've been airline and do not argue your point, one bit. But, the authorities here never published those kind of charts that are common and detailed elsewhere.

GF

john_tullamarine
1st Feb 2010, 01:38
we assume if you don't know it, you don't need to know

I'm going to have to go away for a bit and think through this one .... exits stage left muttering to self and gesticulating strangely ....

galaxy flyer
1st Feb 2010, 02:54
Don't go away mad, John, but you have to admit there is a certain insularity to American aviation. Hey, I'm a seppo and NOT defending that attitude. It's taken years for me to overcome it.

GF

john_tullamarine
1st Feb 2010, 03:40
Not at all mad (as in annoyed .. although my lovely lady occasionally opines that I can tend to be bit strange at times) ... rather a case of being somewhat bemused, I should think ...

411A
1st Feb 2010, 05:39
Just ask for progressive taxi instructions...works for me.
If, on the other hand, ground control somehow 'objects', just ask for the tower supervisors telephone number.
Also...works for me.:}

NB.
ATC is there (and this includes ground control at US airports) to work for the pilot.
No exceptions.
No BS expected from 'em, either.
And yes, I've been to KORD a few times...they have been most cooperative.
They better be.