PDA

View Full Version : questions about a type rating

wire12
31st Jan 2010, 13:16
I wanted to know if any of you's have been airline pilots or know about type ratings. Could you answer a few questions please about either a Boeing 737, 747, 757, 767, 777 or airbus.

1) how long does it take.

2) is it possible to get the manuals before the commencement of the type rating course.

3) what way does the testing be carried out at the end of the course. Is there a few writen exams or one big exam.

4) What way are you tested in the sim how many hours and how long does the test at the end with the examiner take.

5) does practically every one pass it.

mcgoo
31st Jan 2010, 13:58
Why the second thread?

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/403854-few-questions-about-type-rating-boeing-737-a.html

wire12
31st Jan 2010, 14:55
because I got replys from two people saying they sent me information by private message but I got no messages.

mcgoo
31st Jan 2010, 15:03
No, you didn't, you got an offer of somebody sending you a 737 POH if you sent them your email address and somebody else taking the offer up as well.

welliewanger
1st Feb 2010, 07:53
These answers aren't for Boeing or Airbus, but I think they cover it. My experience is with large corporate jets.

1. Not sure. Anything from 3 to 7 weeks depending on the aircraft and the thoroughness of the training. Check with individual training providers. Oh, and don't forget you've got to do circuits (for JAR) which could take ages to organize.

2. Sometimes you get some of the materials in advance.

3. Theory exams must be taken before doing the sim assessment. I'll give you requirements for my type. I think this is standard for all JAR: 7 exams. Fail up to 3 and you have to retake the ones you failed. Fail more than that and you have to retake them all.

4. Thorough breifing and some technical / performance type questions. Not super difficult, just stuff you should know.
2-3 hours in the sim:
- Start in a black cockpit and do a full normal sector. Hand fly the ILS raw data (no flight director).
- Next you'll do a departure with a failure before V1 (STOP) Then one with an engine failure after V1. See how you deal with that.
- Hand fly a single engine ILS with a go around at DA.
- Non precision approach to land.
- At some point there's a systems problem (hydraulic failure / leak / generator failure etc.)
- If you're doing FAA they'll want to see unusual attitude recoveries, stalls and a circle to land too.
- Thorough de-briefing.
A fail on a single area means that part only has to be re-done (a partial pass) Fail more than 1 area (or is it 2?) and you have to re-do the whole thing.

5. On the sim I worked on (not the sort of thing people had as a first type) 80 - 90% pass it first time (or partial, then pass) If the instructor has submitted you for the exam, he's confident you'll pass. People are more likely to get extra training before the test than to fail the test and then get extra training.

HTH

potkettleblack
1st Feb 2010, 19:55
And from an airline perspective on the 320 this is vaguely what I can remember we went through.

Rostered for ground school to start us off. Started off with a recap of MCC type stuff in a classroom with an instructor. Then onto the airbus self study in front of a pc which would have been around 2 weeks I guess. You can generally rattle through at your own pace and try and get ahead of the game if you wish. You will have a set of FCOM's to cross refer to - or be bamboozled by more like!

Alongside of the groundschool there are other bits and pieces to be accomplished such as SEP training, dangerous goods and other operator specific courses to get your head around. Also the odd "field trip" to play with the real thing when one was planned to be parked up for a reasonable length of time. Some more classroom instruction to cover things like performance and any other "hot" topics. Then its the theoretical ground exam.

Then it was into the sim. The first sessions were meant to be fixed base (motion off) but since this was our employer training us they left it on. The sim sessions were 4 hours - 2 as PF(pilot flying) and 2 as PM (pilot monitoring). There are briefings before and after and in great detail. Each session has a detailed programme which you study beforehand.

Once you are through the training then you will do a licence skill test (LST) with a company TRE. After that since it was our first jet type then we got to bash the sim around in circuits doing ZFTT. Think of it as max crosswind landings in a jet. Needless to say it wasn't pretty.

After that then its base training in the real aircraft and the completion of lots of paperwork. Take that to your CAA and hand over your cheque and your type rating will be added to your licence. Then you get to look forward to line training and a line check. Pass that and you are licenced to thrill.