View Full Version : A cracking weekend over Scotland :-)

fisbangwollop
30th Jan 2010, 20:54
To all those that called me ( Scottish Info ) today....and hopefully tomorrow to, at last we have had a great weekend of flying weather....the first of 2010 since we all were confined to earth due to ice and snow :ok::ok::ok: Where did you get to and how was your trip.........would be nice to see photo's to.....:cool::cool::cool: Safe flying to you all in 2010.

fisbangwollop
30th Jan 2010, 21:09
LFT.....thanks for the PM.....best wishes with the rest of your training :cool::cool:

MFC_Fly
30th Jan 2010, 23:36
It's not the first of 2010, 9 Jan weekend was beautiful, in fact better than today - no wind. These were taken 0n the 9th...

http://www.morayflyingclub.com/CIMG1690b.JPG

http://www.morayflyingclub.com/CIMG1692b.JPG

[Edited to reduce size of images - sorry mods] :O

BackPacker
31st Jan 2010, 00:34
Not just in Scotland... I had a fabulous aerobatics session just south of Rotterdam in CAVOK weather, virtually no wind, temperature 2 degrees on the ground. Shame the QNH was only 997 and we were confined to 2500'-FL50.

cats_five
31st Jan 2010, 07:26
Was taken on a jaunt up to Glenshee and back yesterday(30th Jan). The mountains were stunning - plastered with snow even on the south slopes. Will post some photos once I've sorted them out. Identifying the hills can be tricky in such good vis as one is seeing further than one thinks.

Flying back into the sun showed that the canopy needed cleaning...

Charlie Zulu
31st Jan 2010, 07:30
What a fabulous weekend indeed.

Due to the snow, ice, runway being shut for the best part of a month and then work getting in the way of all things aviation, I was just outside of my groups eight week currency rule.

Thus a friendly freelance instructor put his life on the line to check me out. Just went to the north of the Lomonds to practice some steep turns and my dire practice forced landings, dodging gliders and birds on the way down.

My landings weren't the best either but they were safe. More right rudder. More right rudder. Grrrr........ All the more for some more flying I think...

The weather was / is fabulous. Lovely scenery with the snow capped mountains in the far distance. One of the group is taking our aeroplane up north today.

dont overfil
31st Jan 2010, 08:19
Indeed a fabulous day. Wonderful trip Perth to Carlisle overhead Edinburgh. Not a cloud in the sky & heard and saw only one commercial the whole trip. Sorry fis, too nice today to sit here trying to sus how to put a photo on. I'm off to the airfield.
DO.

Paul Bromley
31st Jan 2010, 08:23
Hi, great day we spoke to you M-LEKT isle of man to PK & return, great vis on way north but lots of CB to dodge on return to Burrow Head.

Always a pleasure to visit.

Thanks & Happy New Year.

Paul.

'India-Mike
31st Jan 2010, 09:51
DO - ditto:ok:

5 hours yesterday, planned for 4 today. Not bad for end Jan

Got photos, they will need to wait until I go back to my proper job;)

Literally, I have to fly! Bye

fisbangwollop
31st Jan 2010, 10:34
A bit of a slow start so far today but hope for more traffic soon......thanks for the kind comments especially from from the Redhead Bolkow 105 EO-SECC-NH, makes my job so much more enjoyable when we hear nice remarks like that :ok::ok:

dont overfil
31st Jan 2010, 17:50
Hi fis,
A bit rough in the east today. Didn't go far so no chance to call. Stonking snow shower to the north of pt but strangely it seemed to be almost stationary.
DO

G-BHZO
31st Jan 2010, 18:23
Finally managed to land away after who-knows-how-many weather induced cancellations! A great trip from Prestwick to Oban (and back), although with a couple of cloud-dodging descents and deviations near Crinan!

Fis, not sure if you are the 'Paul' that everyone was talking to on 119.875 today, but thanks for the usual great service. It was pretty busy on the frequency, but the voice at the other end sounded truly happy to be there! :ok:

Cheers.

(PS, don't be misled by the screen name, I haven't flown 'ZO for some years! I am in a PA28 these days.)

fisbangwollop
31st Jan 2010, 19:04
Zulu Oscar....yes I was the Paul today......spoke to friends in GTYNE also in Oban today, Uncle Hughie Copleland ( ex ATC ) also was meandering around Loch Lomond and GDOVS was on his way home from playing golf at Dundonald Course...thats the way to arrive with the golf clubs!!!......yes indeed I am happy in my work :) and all because my customers ( you all ) are really nice folk :cool::cool::cool: 2 days off for me now then start a new roster where I lose 30 days off a year!! :mad::mad::mad:

G-BHZO
31st Jan 2010, 19:37
Good to put a voice to the name then. Enjoy the time off, bad luck on the change of roster though :*

I guess today was typical of flying in Scotland... uber busy because it is pretty much the first chance most of us have had to get in the air since before Christmas. I was also caught out by my club's 60 day rule, not having flown since November... cancelled a couple of trips in December through fog and the general 'Day After Tomorrow'ness of Christmas! :rolleyes: Still, I managed four nice landings (I did a couple of circuits with an instructor), which probably used up my quota for the rest of the year! Great news for future passengers!!

Happy flying...

'India-Mike
31st Jan 2010, 20:09
Yesterday EGPK-EGPG-EGNC-EGPK. Today similar weather but a bit bumpy

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll121/602fan/IMG_0170.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll121/602fan/IMG_0171.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll121/602fan/IMG_0181.jpg

fisbangwollop
31st Jan 2010, 20:46
India-Mike....all that and no stuck throttle!! :ok::ok::ok:

but a bit bumpy

Same over the Lakes......i asked an aircraft over Barrow for an estimate for carlisle and he said he was struggling to hit the keys on the GPS as it was too bumpy!! :cool::cool::cool:

'India-Mike
31st Jan 2010, 21:06
Yep, I was reminded of that yesterday in about the same place!

gooneydog
31st Jan 2010, 23:09
Nice to hear "uncle' Hughie is still getting around !!! I think I flew ZO some years back Make the most of the weather There's not a lot of perfect vfr to be had

cats_five
1st Feb 2010, 06:48
<snip>
Stonking snow shower to the north of pt but strangely it seemed to be almost stationary.
DO

There has been mountain wave around for the past few days - was the shower coming out of the bottom of a wave bar? That would make it stationary.

b.a. Baracus
1st Feb 2010, 08:34
I had planned to go flying yesterday, although my car got stuck in snow about a mile from my house on the way to the airfield :rolleyes:

Last trip was cancelled too because the hanger doors were frozen shut!

...... Third times a charm?

cats_five
1st Feb 2010, 09:32
OK, have put the best of the photos on Flickr:

30 Jan 2010 - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sal-woo/sets/72157623201559441/)

Enjoy.

fisbangwollop
1st Feb 2010, 17:36
Thanks for the feed back guys and gals.....its always nice to hear what fun my customers are having whilst my feet are welded to terra firma!!! settling in now to our new ATC centre and hope soon to offer some visits to see the other end of those radio calls!! :cool::cool::cool:

chopper.al
1st Feb 2010, 18:32
Hi fis,

I would love to get a look round the new shop, sounds really good. I just stay 10mins from the airport so as soon as you know when I'm able to come just let me know.

I know one of the controllers there, Pete, he plays at our baketball club (badly!!!) so even if you let him know and I'll be first in line.

(I sometimes fly out of Dalry in G-CBZE, an R44)

Alan.

fisbangwollop
1st Feb 2010, 18:56
(I sometimes fly out of Dalry in G-CBZE, an R44)

Yes I sometimes speak to you if its you that does the pleasure trips.......also seen the aircraft in the garden of a house close by me in Loans :cool::cool::cool:

chopper.al
2nd Feb 2010, 15:34
No, that's the owner that does the pleasure flights, well, his company. I just hire it off of him.

I normally head up the west coast to Seil Island. I have never landed in Loans. The thing would be up on bricks with the radio nicked out of it if you left it more than 5 mins there!!!

I think that's actually another guy who hires it from him that lands it in Loans.

cats_five
2nd Feb 2010, 20:07
More cracking weather once the front had cleared through.

02 Feb 2010 - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sal-woo/sets/72157623336580196/)

fisbangwollop
2nd Feb 2010, 20:25
Cats 5........thanks for the photo's.......brings back many happy memories of the many hours I spent cruising around Benarty and the Bishop in my Pilatus B4...........:cool::cool::cool:

cats_five
2nd Feb 2010, 20:30
Fis, must have been before my time - I don't think I've ever seen a B4 at the club. (have seen one at Lasham and one at Bicester)

But glad you enjoyed the photos.

swopiv
3rd Feb 2010, 01:03
Yeah, Saturday was a good day. :cool:

http://i49.tinypic.com/e5ogb9.jpg
Looking West towards Edinburgh

http://i50.tinypic.com/ei1ph4.jpg
East Lothian

http://i47.tinypic.com/vrtwcj.jpg
My uber-high tech panel :ok:

D.

cats_five
3rd Feb 2010, 07:17
Lovely light but OMG - just how cold are those flying motorbikes at this time of the year? :eek:

You must be wrapped up like a Michelin man!

fisbangwollop
3rd Feb 2010, 07:37
Cats-Five......yes a few years back could be 25!!!!! Started at Strathaven then bought into a B4 syndicate and kept it at SGU, many happy hours spent soaring at Feshiebridge to. Is Bob Petrie still around as as he was one of the syndicate members I think many moons ago? :cool::cool::cool:

cats_five
3rd Feb 2010, 09:37
Bob Petrie is the current CFI at PMK, and 25 years is well before I remembered that as a youngster I fancied the idea of gliding! Bob is also involved with Walking on Air.

home (http://www.walkingonair.org.uk/)

WoA have an adapted K21 (factory designed) that lives rigged in the glider store at PMK - it can be flown normally or with a hand rudder in front and/or back seats.

I'm sure Bob would be happy to take you for a flight again if you fancied it. :) Pick a good day though - either great wave or a decent thermal day. Flying up and down a ridge gets tedious after 30 minutes or so IMHO, and if it's up, round and down that's not much of an experience.

If you have lost Bob's contact details I can oblige, and I must ask him about the Pilatus. Suspect there was a sudden emptyness in the room when you asked for help to rig it...

fisbangwollop
3rd Feb 2010, 14:25
I must ask him about the Pilatus. Suspect there was a sudden emptyness in the room when you asked for help to rig it...

No not at all....what I remember best about those Gliding days was driving through to PMK from the west only to find it not flyable.......we then always seemed to end up in a "Topless" bar in Leith for some unknown reason:):) Ah those were the days of flying fun...:cool::cool::cool:Ask Bob about that!!!!

cats_five
3rd Feb 2010, 14:34
Hmmm... wonder if Mrs Bob knew about the bar in Leith? :ooh: Suspect she's not a woman to trifle with!

fisbangwollop
3rd Feb 2010, 16:02
She was one of the dancer's!! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

dont overfil
3rd Feb 2010, 18:37
Surely you should always take your hat off when you are indoors.

grow45
7th Feb 2010, 22:16
then bought into a B4 syndicate and kept it at SGU

Would that be this one - Competition No 248 I think. Photo taken in the mid to late 1980's. I can name the pilot and guy standing by the wing but I don't think either is you.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/grow45/PilatusB4.jpg

g45

140KIAS
14th Feb 2010, 10:57
Cracking day yesterday too. Took a trip down to Castle Kennedy and took a taxi to Port Patrick for lunch with friends from Newcastle.

Im pretty sure fisbangwallop was on duty until around 3pm and providing the usual excellent service.

Interestingly D509 was active until 1500Z up to 37000 feet. Whilst in Port Patrick we saw one of the RN's aircraft carrier's heading north into the danger area about 2pm. Must have been Ark Royal or Invincile as Illustrious is in Rosyth for a refit. We were hoping to see some surface to air practice but no such luck.

fisbangwollop
14th Feb 2010, 11:42
Grow45.......Hey thanks for that picture, that was her, great to see it again.....not me in the photo but think I may recognise the person at the wing!:ok::ok:

fisbangwollop
14th Feb 2010, 11:44
140kias.......spoke to Navy Seaking later in afternoon heading to "Mother" off Ailsa Craig...........unsure though who his Mother was?:cool::cool::cool: I had thought maybe D509 was active for one of the new build T45's that are being built on the Clyde........Feel I know them all very well as most have tried their level best to run me down over the past 2 years whilst I have sailed my yacht around the Clyde!!!:}:}:}