PDA

View Full Version : aircraft rental & flight school around Calgary

Walter Sobchak
28th Jan 2010, 19:51
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody had a recommendation for a flight school around Calgary. I have a JAA PPL but do not want to go through the hassle to convert it for a couple of touch&go´s and maybe a sightseeing trip, so my idea was to have a flight instructor by my side. What is the typical going rate for a C150, C172 or DA20 e.g. and a flight instructor per hour in Alberta?

Thanks & krgds.

Walter

zuluweather
30th Jan 2010, 19:50
The schools around Calgary are mainly in Springbank (a reliever airport just outside the city). There you can find the Calgary Flying Club, Fly Right, Springbank Air Training College, and Springbank Aero. Other than that, there is Morgan Air at the International (CYYC), and the Calgary Flying Training Centre in High River, and one more in Okotoks, although I can't remember the name.
Springbank (CYBW) and CYYC are both class C airspace, while the others are uncontrolled.
As far as I know, the going rates in CYBW are about $140CDN/HR for a C172 + $60/hr for the instructor. I believe the rental rates are higher at Morgan air, and I am unsure about the schools at the uncontrolled airports.

India Four Two
24th Aug 2014, 16:30
I will be in Calgary in October after an eight year absence and I'm out of touch with the flying school situation. I need to re-validate my licence.

My choice would have been Morgan but I see they are no longer operating.

Any recommendations as to which Springbank operation I should use?

star57
27th Aug 2014, 04:23
Go see Doris at FlyRight tell her FF sent you
She has the highest level of experience, 737 and Hawker, time, plenty of it.

No pens on the plane, don't **** up, or she will sound like an ex wife:ok:

India Four Two
27th Aug 2014, 16:33
star57,

Thanks for the advice.

No pens allowed? How do I write down my clearance? ;)