PDA

View Full Version : Flight time limitations

Johnny Tightlips
28th Jan 2010, 17:14
Hi folks Would anyone know if the 900 hours per year limit used by airlines is inclusive of of private flying or is this counted separate? I would like to keep flying SEP's if possible. Thanks for the help.

IRRenewal
28th Jan 2010, 17:20
Depends which aviation authority the airline falls under. In the UK the 900 hour limit only applies to aerial work, but in Ireland the 900 hour limit applies to all flying.

Since your profile is not very helpful in pinpointing your location this is the best answer I can give you right now.

Denti
28th Jan 2010, 18:12
I do not really know how "aerial work" is defined in the UK, in germany all commercial flying is included into the 900, recreational flying however is not. Working as flight instructor for a commercial flying school is included, free of charge work in a club however is not.

despegue
28th Jan 2010, 21:38
If you are limited, be creative.
Recreational flying is a hobby...
what you don't write in the logbook is of course up to you...

TOFFAIR
29th Jan 2010, 12:59
ask your aviation authority, if you can opt between different ones, for example flying another registration, might be easier. Limitations are supposed to protect us rather then limit us as pilots, but you got different interpretations of it everywhere.

BALLSOUT
29th Jan 2010, 22:57
despegue. Just because you chose to commit fraud by not logging some of your flying doesn't mean it didn't happen. If you have an accident or incident and it is found you have been cooking the books they will throw the book at you.
The other thing to consider if you fly outside of "the job" Any flying that affects your anual flight hours limits, would also affect your duty time. So, if you fly on a day off, it is no longer a day off and you MUST inform your company, so they can show this as duty.

Teddy Robinson
29th Jan 2010, 23:38
so if I go out with my paraglider on a crisp morning in the Alps ?

It does actually come down to the aviation authority you work with, and the company Part A.

If in doubt make it a management problem by asking the question.

That after all is what they are paid to do

Johnny Tightlips
30th Jan 2010, 22:46
Thanks for the replies I will have to make further investigations.