View Full Version : Max oil level for aeros- AEIO360 (Cap 10)

hugh flung_dung
27th Jan 2010, 20:59
Does anyone *know* why the CAP10c POH says that the maximum oil level for aerobatics is 6 quarts? Does it just make a mess or is there some more subtle reason?

HFD

martinprice
27th Jan 2010, 21:12
Don't know about the CAP10 but in the Super Decathlon anything over about 6.25 quarts (ish - maybe 6.5) seems to get thrown out. Then you fly it for several hours until it finally gets down to 6, add a quart to bring it back up to 7 and by the end of your first acro flight you're at 6.25 again. I'm sure that will vary according to the specific a/c and engine and the type of acro you fly.

(Edit: OK, I don't actually *know* but you're welcome to my random speculation... )

BackPacker
28th Jan 2010, 06:31
Same for the Robin R2160. Anything over 5 quarts (roughly) is a waste and will be found on the fuselage after a few flights.

Edited to add that this is about the carburetted R2160 with no inverted flight fuel/oil systems. I have no idea what an inverted oil system would do in this respect.

hugh flung_dung
29th Jan 2010, 16:46
Thanks folks. The background is that the maintenance outfit have put too much oil in. I'm very familiar with oil being blown out (and if that's the case it can sort itself out) but I'm surprised to have a limit specified in the POH so I want to find out why, just in case there's something odd about the inverted system (which I doubt).

HFD