PDA

View Full Version : What can an NDB be co-located with

aslan1982
22nd Jan 2010, 15:28
Can an NDB be co-located with a VOR or a DME and if so does this affect the range of the NDB?

thanks in advance

Bob Lenahan
22nd Jan 2010, 15:48
As far as I know, yes, and no.
Bob.

DB6
22nd Jan 2010, 15:49
Yes, often is with a DME for instrument approaches. Not normally with a VOR - no point - but could be. No effect on range (as far as I know) as all use different frequencies.

Tinstaafl
22nd Jan 2010, 15:59
DMEs were commonly co-located with NDBs in Australia. Only difference was that you needed to tune the DME separately to the ADF, unlike the slaved channel tuning of a VOR/DME pair. If it was with one of Oz' old domestic DME installations you'd set the channel in the DME box. If it's with the more modern international DME you'd tune the paired VOR frequency to get the DME to tune. If you needed to use the VOR on a different frequency then you'd select the hold function on the DME to prevent it changing channel when you retuned the VOR.

Ocampo
22nd Jan 2010, 19:33
Not normally with a VOR - no point - but could be

Yes, sir. Lots of those here in Colombia. Seems to be the opposite case over here, since I haven't seen an NDB coupled with a DME yet.

By the way, low power output NDB's can be co-located with Marker Beacons on ILS systems. Those ones are called LOM or LMM or whatever. LOM: Locator Outer Marker; LMM: Locator Medium Marker.

punkalouver
22nd Jan 2010, 20:10
LMM-Locater Middle Marker, I believe.

DA-10mm
23rd Jan 2010, 03:53
here's one:

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1001/06239NDGA.PDF

seilfly
23rd Jan 2010, 04:42
Well if a NDB was co-located with a TACAN, it would let civilian aircraft get more than just a DME from that TACAN... So that could have been an idea... All up to the point when they began spreading of the VOR/DME's all over.

A NDB/DME could mabye be a poor man's (or poor airports') VOR/DME but with needle and no CDI. But then, the GPS came. At least in the US it seems like remote fields typically either have ONE NDB approach to the field and one GPS approach to each of the runways...

kijangnim
23rd Jan 2010, 07:02
Greetings
Most of the time approaches use Locator and they are co located with Markers as stated by Ocampo, NDB are more associated with routes (Airways), now some airports have DNB approaches, one stone two birds, it is because NDB is needed for the route over the airport.
The consol was an NDB with 400 NM ranges, one was in Norway stavengar, one was in Malta Gozo, one in Sardegnia, they have been decommissioned, Locator has 15 NM range.

Nose wheel first
23rd Jan 2010, 12:13
There are several NDB/DME approaches in New Zealand where the DME is co-located with the NDB. Then there are the aerodromes which have NDB, VOR and DME and more often than not the VOR is co-located with the DME but you can still conduct a published NDB/DME approach.

Ocampo
23rd Jan 2010, 13:58
LMM-Locater Middle Marker, I believe.

Correct. Thanks for the clarification:ok:

We used to have many NDB approaches to small airports here. They are becoming rare nowadays, as there are VOR's replacing the NDB's. So, having no DME coupled with the NDB, we had to make timed NDB approaches.

Best regards

Ed

Tinstaafl
23rd Jan 2010, 18:17
Plenty of timed approaches in the world, both NDB & VOR. Australia probably still has more of those than any other (excluding the rise of GPS, of course).