PDA

View Full Version : IR validity...

bucket_and_spade
21st Jan 2010, 21:19
Hmmm, tricky one to find a forum for this one...

I'm type-rated on a multi-crew twin-jet and every 6 months the TR and the IR are revalidated. The original IR was done, as is traditional, on a multi-engine, single-pilot aircraft. I also have a valid SEP class rating but the MEP rating has expired.

I've had a look at LASORS but couldn't find a definitive answer - can I legally fly an SEP in instrument conditions if required (assuming it's equipped, certified for icing conditions, etc.)? I should know this but I keep convincing myself of different answers, although I'm tending towards one rather than the other...!

Cheers guys,

B&S

S-Works
21st Jan 2010, 21:37
Nope!! You need a single pilot IR. The exception being that if you hold a UK CAA CPL or ATPL rather than a JAA one then you have an IMCr embedded and can fly within the privileges of an IMCr.

bucket_and_spade
24th Jan 2010, 14:25
That makes sense - I'd have to renew my original single-pilot IR by the sounds...

B&S

mad_jock
24th Jan 2010, 14:52
Once you get it back...

It is possible then to keep it valid with experence off the back of your multicrew IR on SEP.

Haven't tried it myself mind but an FO managed it and i saw first hand proof on his ratings page.

bucket_and_spade
25th Jan 2010, 18:06
Interesting, thanks.

B&S

S-Works
25th Jan 2010, 18:54
There are certain allowances for the holder of a MPA IR to keep a SPA IR valid but it is not quite as simple as MJ would have you believe.

Appendix C of LASORS and JAR FCL 1.2 are your starting point.

Flying Beancounter
29th Jan 2010, 13:13
The relevant extract of JAR appears to be the following:

JAR-FCL 1.246 Instrument Rating, revalidation and renewal
(See JAR-FCL 1.185)
(See Appendix 1 to JARFCL 1.246)
(a) Revalidation
An IR(A) shall be revalidated within the three months immediately preceding the expiry date of the rating. Whenever possible, revalidation of an IR(A) shall be combined with the proficiency check for revalidation of a type or class rating.
(3) Cross-credit shall be given in accordance with the Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.246.
Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.246
Cross-crediting of the IR part of a type or class rating proficiency check
Credits shall be granted only when the holder is revalidating IR privileges for single engine and single pilot multi engine aeroplanes as appropriate
(extract from table)
When a proficiency check including IR is performed, and the holder has a valid:
MP type rating
Credit is valid towards the IR part in a proficiency check for:
a. SE class * and
b. SE type rating *, and
c. SP ME class and type rating, only credits for
Section 3b of Appendix 3 to JAR-FCL 1.240

* Provided within the previous 12 months at least 3 IFR departures and approaches have been performed on a SP class or type of aeroplane in a single pilot operation.

But has anyone got personal experience of using this?

Sleepybhudda
14th Feb 2010, 20:59
Yup I've had my IR-SPA-SE renewed on the basis of my J32-MPA-IR (guess who mad jock) took the CRE/IRR a while to believe it before he would sign it off but yup i've done it 2 years in a row now. Any questions ask away

Stampe
14th Feb 2010, 22:27
Yes just renewed my SEP/IR on a 767LPC with the necessary SEP experience.Examiner was quite happy having been shown the relevant sections in LASORS but he is a keen light aircraft man.Saves me the the £90 IR examiner fee, positioning/ test flight time and approach/landing fees.Most probably about £400 in total even though I have my own aircraft.A very worthwhile saving especially given the difficulty of finding SEP IREs.A great concession from Europe...bet the authority are chewing nettles over that one.VBR Stampe