PDA

View Full Version : hiring flight instructors

comfortably numb
17th Jan 2010, 22:36
Hi, guys

I have been away for awhile and am missing instructing.

Are clubs still employing experienced instructors (1400hr +instructor hours), 8000 total

would love to get back in...................any feedback woould be helpful.

Bye the way this is in southern UK

DA-10mm
18th Jan 2010, 03:29
holding my breath...
who, in the hell, misses instructing?
I digress...the true aviators do.
the best pilots are ALWAYS intructors.

mad_jock
18th Jan 2010, 08:53
I don't know if employ is the correct term. I got my rating back 6 months ago and helped out at a new school up north. Its hardly worth taking any money with the rates of pay especially if the tax man has to get envolved.

Cracking fun

Trial flights: brillant fun, just as I remember them. The smiles of the punters walking back to the office, the banter, the ability to be able to go and see the scenery around inverness and do my tourist information bit for the none locals.

Lessons: First couple had my briefing sheets with me. The old patter came back very quickly and I discovered I still get bored ****eless doing circuits.

I got given a couple who the restricted instructor had run out of ideas with and sorted them out with no great shakes.

Also I had forgotten how hard work it is a) sitting doing bugger all on the phones while supervising a restricted FI b) doing a full days teaching, 5 lessons I was knackard. Then the extra turned up which really took me back to doing 900 hours a year instructing.

I wanted to get the ratings back before they fell off (5 years), was of the mind not to steal hours off the low houred guys. But got quite a few days on my tod when none of them came in.

I think it depends which bit of the country you are in. There are literally hundreds of instructors scrabbling for hours out there. The schools will proberly give you some hours and the punters will like booking you, but in all honesty I couldn't take hours of a FI that needs them.

Hansard
18th Jan 2010, 10:39
I got back into it last year after a few years in the airlines and several years f/t instructing before that. I assumed I'd jump straight back into a SEP and land it without any problem - WRONG! I was humbled after the first few attempts! Took a while to refresh the theory and practice too and I have to watch out for bad habits like landing too fast and airline RT/expectations. As Mad Jock says, you forget that it's damn hard work but the rewards are definitely worth it. It was more difficult to go back to than I expected and requires a level of commitment which can be difficult to give.

mad_jock
18th Jan 2010, 11:42
I would also advise you get some sort of instrument rating sorted out.

You will just end up in IMC at some point unrated otherwise because it will be the safest thing to do.

blobber
18th Jan 2010, 22:42
Looking to get back into Instructing part time too. I have come to the conclusion that it is better than working in another crappy job (non aviation related) and I'm prepared to take the crappy pay (for now) Ive had 8 months away from flying and I'm missing it badly. The fact that my Instructor rating lapsed hasnt helped! Bar Steward

Big Pistons Forever
18th Jan 2010, 23:49
I discovered I still get bored ****eless doing circuits.

I with you on that observation. my personal record was 47 dual circuits....before lunch :hmm:. It is amazing what you can do when you are young and hungry :}

mad_jock
19th Jan 2010, 08:00
The instructor seminar that I went to had more than a few (10-15) airline/biz jet guys getting there ratings back. Most of them thinking about getting instrument restrictions removed and CRI's.

Big Piston's you got lunch!!! 47 is quite impressive though, but rather you than me.

BTW its not cheap getting the rating back. By the time you add in travel and HOTAC the seminar is 600 quid odd. SEP renewal 300 quid. I did 5 days ground and 4 hours dual with an FII @ 1200 and another 500 for the test. And so far I have done 35 hours instructing but won't be doing any for a while because I am back flying the line.

Not going to let it lapse this time though so 500 for the test and renew by experence. I really can't be arsed doing the seminar again its not that its crap its just the whole ball ache of getting time off when they are running and the logistics of getting there.

fisbangwollop
19th Jan 2010, 08:32
Mad Jock.........get your arse back to blighty I have a good student for you!! :cool::cool::cool:

mad_jock
19th Jan 2010, 09:02
As your going to be doing it this summer, get the bloody books out.

Airlaw, HPL, Met, Coms and Aircraft Gen. Leave Pref and Nav until last.

And I know you will struggle but the RT test as well :p

PS might be back in June for 3 weeks.

angelorange
22nd Jan 2010, 13:30
For those with a Military background VT are looking for one or maybe 2 B1 QFIs to fly Army Grading (Middle Wallop) on G115e

Full time post M-F.

ACW349
24th Jan 2010, 09:40
Angelorange... Do you have any more info on vt job or link to website?

acw349