PDA

View Full Version : Standart terms&callouts on A320

Boroda
17th Jan 2010, 16:55
If autopilot is on, should PF inform PNF about actions on FCU (ALT 5000 pulled, NAV is managed,...)? Or just read FMA and be happy?

During NPA should PNF narrate all the calculation process at altitude check waypoints (approaching distance 10 DME, alt must be 5000, we seems to have 5200, so we 200 feet high, ....)? Or just call out 200 feet high and be happy?

Spasibo

Sky Wave
17th Jan 2010, 17:25
If autopilot is on, should PF inform PNF about actions on FCU (ALT 5000 pulled, NAV is managed,...)? Or just read FMA and be happy?

Generally just read the FMA's

A lot of times FCU adjustments will be as a result of an ATC clearance so there is no need to discuss it. If you are going to do something that you think the PNF may not be expecting you could state your intentions if it is not obvious so that they are "in the loop"

During NPA should PNF narrate all the calculation process at altitude check waypoints (approaching distance 10 DME, alt must be 5000, we seems to have 5200, so we 200 feet high, ....)? Or just call out 200 feet high and be happy?

The PF should brief the PNF on what calls they'd like.

Generally at about 0.5 mile before I'd say "at 4 miles you should be 1560ft" then on passing 4 miles I'd just say "on profile" or "50ft high" etc

SW

Boroda
17th Jan 2010, 17:31
I am interested in your reflections but mainly I need Airbus rules on this subject. How is correct?

potkettleblack
17th Jan 2010, 18:35
FCOM 3.03.90 has a fair amount of information pertaining to callouts. The FCTM - Chapter 2, has a small paragraph under "cross-cockpit communication" which basically cross refers back to the FCOM.

Dan Winterland
18th Jan 2010, 00:33
Airbus advocate a almost silent cockpit and at least one company I know of follows this. But what you call or don't call is largely down to your own company SOPs and Airbus will prin the FCOMs accordingly.

There are no set Airbus rules on the subject.