PDA

View Full Version : William Green R.I.P.

Argonautical
13th Jan 2010, 15:33
Did a search but didn't find anything about it so I thought I would mention it. William Green sadly passed away on the 2nd January. A great aviation author and magazine editor.

evansb
13th Jan 2010, 15:38
I have several of his books. He will be missed.

skytrain10
13th Jan 2010, 16:13
A sad loss...it was the Observers Book of Aircraft series that started my interest in aircraft, and since my childhood in the 60's I have acquired many of his books. He will indeed be missed.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th Jan 2010, 16:20
Sad news...

"William Green and Gerald Pollinger"..... OMG, I feel VERY old all of a sudden..

RETDPI
13th Jan 2010, 17:41
As a very small child I looked through my father's recently acquired copy of Observer's Aircraft 1952. Authored by William Green ( and Gerald Pollinger).
That was the year before the H.M. the Queen's Coronation.

I still have that copy , along with a mass of his further work over half a century and more.

An immense contribution of authorative writing on Aviation history.

albatross
14th Jan 2010, 11:22
I have several of the books.
It took a lot of dedication to produce those books.

May he rest in peace knowing he brought a lot of pleasure to a lot of people - and probably settled more than a few arguements in the process.
RIP.

treadigraph
14th Jan 2010, 12:17
I inherited a couple of copies from my elder brothers in about 1970, one was the '64 edition, the other a compendium of civil aircraft, both became very well thumbed to the point of destruction over the next several years as my interest in aircraft (fostered by the Pater) developed.

New edition was my birthday present each year from 1974 onwards until around the time they went paperback... Since then I've acquired quite a few editions form the 50s, 60s and early 70s.

William, many thanks for a wonderful reference source for little boys of any age!

Gainesy
14th Jan 2010, 14:01
Sad, I was weaned on his "Dumpy Book" series. Funny though, I thought he'd died several years ago?:confused:

bmaconsult
14th Jan 2010, 15:40
Having grown up with his aviation books I had the honor and privilege of co-authoring one such publication ("Modern Commercial Aviation") in the Eighties. He will be sorely missed.

Brian Abraham
15th Jan 2010, 01:54
"Famous Bombers of the Second World War", Published 1957 and received as a birthday present the following year. Still on the bookshelf and referred to often. Only wish I had the rest of the series. Price 31/6

T-21
16th Jan 2010, 15:29
Another great title by William Green was Aircraft of The Battle of Britain published by Macdonald:Pan in 1969 a softback for 5/- depicting side views of RAF and Luftwaffe aircraft.,very relevant this year.

yankee papa
22nd Jan 2010, 06:13
'Famous Fighters' Vol. 1 started my interest in aviation as a young boy. Much treasured still and never equalled for clarity of text and photos.

YP