PDA

View Full Version : Does the training acadmy have the right to detain my license

danmi
13th Jan 2010, 11:54
hello everyone
I trained in one flight academy in Canada for CPL. Due to the training time exceeded much more than the contract said, I have not paid all the payment yet but partially. Now the academy detain my CPL license and logbook, refuse to deliver them to me.
I am very angry now cuz I am not able to apply any flying job. And I have to pay the loan of my training fee now.
Can I get these private properties back or not ? Are there any rules and laws from ICAO , IATA, Transport Canada Agency related the ownership of the license that support me ?
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/boohoo.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/boohoo.gif

rotornut
13th Jan 2010, 13:28
Hi danmi,
When you signed the contract did you give consent to them to retain your license and logbook under the circumstances you mentioned? Did you subsequently give consent for them to do this? If not they have no right to retain these items and this is tantamount to theft under S. 322 of The Criminal Code of Canada. I think it's best that you PM me and I'll give you some further information about how to proceed.

danmi
13th Jan 2010, 14:02
Dear rotornut,
thank you very much for your concern.
it is not written in the contract that I will give consent for the academy to apply the license for me. But the academy agreed on verbal that they would do this as a service. Now the Canada Transport has delivered my license and the logbook to the school.
So what can I do now ?

rotornut
13th Jan 2010, 14:28
danmi,
I sent you a pm. It's better to keep this private for obvious reasons.

ab33t
13th Jan 2010, 16:00
Have a good look at your contract , Im pretty sure somewhere in there they have said that the training will not be completed if you do not settle your account . I have been down this road before, just make double sure before you end up in court

altiplano
13th Jan 2010, 18:41
just to be clear, tc has issued a cpl? or the school won't sign off on your cpl, or release your ptr until you pay monies owed?

either way, they cannot retain your logbook, it's your property... if tc has already issued the license just call them and complain that the school won't release your documents and let them follow it up or issue you a new license.

if you do still owe the school money, maybe pay?

ZBBYLW
14th Jan 2010, 04:39
Just curious, did the fact you finished with more hours reflect your piloting? At the end of the day, you flew those hours so you should pay them. Now whether you needed those extra hours due to poor instructing is a different matter, but the main problem still exists... Which school was it?

J.O.
14th Jan 2010, 14:17
The other thing you can do is contact Transport Canada and tell them you have misplaced your licence, and advise them of your own mailing address. It is likely that the school listed their mailing address on your licence application, something that no student should ever allow a school to do. And the log book is your property.