PDA

View Full Version : Westjet Bases

The_Broon
11th Jan 2010, 17:30
I have been trawling the internet to find the answer to this, and figure you guys would be the best person to ask. Where do Westjet base their pilots? The website says Calgary, but I was recently told by an ex-Skyservice pilot that they were hiring into multiple bases. Do they actually have bases in YVR and YXX, or are they all Calgary based, then positioned around the country?

Also, I am working on converting my JAA ATPL plus type ratings over to Canadian at the moment, but don't want to miss any hiring they are currently doing. Does anybody have an HR contact or phone number I could call and chat with them to explain my situation?

Cheers

777AV8R
11th Jan 2010, 18:06
Have you got the 'right to work' in Canada? If you don't, you can't. There are lots of Canadians standing in line, looking for work. No use spending all that money, if you won't be able to be employed or live in Canada.

6000PIC
12th Jan 2010, 00:04
I think Mr . Broon deserves the benefit of the doubt , as surely no intelligent professional aviator would commit to the task of converting their JAR license and type ratings to the Canadian equivalent without the aforementioned documentation.

The_Broon
13th Jan 2010, 00:34
Yes indeed, I have my full Permanent Resident Status, and married to a Canadian girl. I lived in Canada for nearly 4 years where I started my Aviation training, and have a Canadian PPL, New Zealand PPL and a JAA ATPL with B757/767 and B737-300 to -900 type ratings.

Moving over here is not a decision I'm making lightly, but one I am very much interested in.

For anyone else interested in the answer to where Westjet base their pilots, I just got off the phone to a nice lady in the recruitment department who told me that all pilots are based in Calgary, but many pilots commute at their own expense.

UB6IB9
13th Jan 2010, 20:06
To answer your question Westjet has something called a “port” system. It’s sort of like a base. All the pilot’s are officially based in Calgary however you can choose to belong to a port. You start and end your pairing in your chosen port city…ie. Toronto, Vancouver, Halifax ect. I have many friends that belong to the Toronto port. For the most part it works. The odd time they finish in a different cuty but just hop on the next time flight and their home.

Hope this helps.

UB6IB9
13th Jan 2010, 20:08
ohhh....and since no one here has said it...WELCOME TO CANADA!

777AV8R
13th Jan 2010, 22:06
Whats stopping you? Come on over!

simba82
14th Jan 2010, 04:59
How did you manage to get the number of the HR department for westjet Can you pass it on to me i would like to find out where my application stands and damn they r so slow

The_Broon
20th Jan 2010, 10:04
Thanks guys,

Only thing stopping me from coming over is converting my JAA ATPL to Canadian. TC refuses to recognize PIC under supervision unless it was gained in Canada (no reference to this in CARs, so I'm fighting it). Otherwise, tonnes of jet experience, but they want me to fly a 152 in circles for 90 hours to build PIC time, just to fly jets again....pointless red tape exercise, not to mention the cost!

Also, interviewing with Qatar next month, so that may change things.

Appreciate the advice - thanks guys.

Simba - check your PMs

SpiralDive
25th Jan 2010, 07:25
Do Westjet still require 1000 PIC as a minimum? Obviously the SPIC time wouldn't be much of an issue if you were in that bracket. Anyways, let us know how you get on with TC, fighting a similar battle with them myself and would rather not kill myself flying a cessna solo at night cross country. :ugh: