PDA

View Full Version : A sad end, is it in your logbook?

NutLoose
9th Jan 2010, 16:05
Thought you might like to see an interesting post elsewhere.

Clinging to life at Predannack 4-1-10 (http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19158)

dctyke
9th Jan 2010, 16:23
Suprised to see some ejection seats still fitted, but of course they will have been disarmed..............................mmmmmmmmmmmmm?

ab33t
9th Jan 2010, 17:33
Just shells of their former selfs , so sad

seafuryfan
9th Jan 2010, 18:52
Thanks for posting, Nutloose, great photos and somewhat depressing but fascinating at the same time. The Jag...:{

Tankertrashnav
9th Jan 2010, 22:30
What depresses me is that, with the exception of the Canberra and the Wessex, these are all modern aircraft in my mind. Makes me suddenly realise I'll soon be on the scrapheap myself :(

fergineer
9th Jan 2010, 22:33
Yep few hours in U the Dominie, Always a sad sight ......

alwayslookingup
10th Jan 2010, 00:26
TTN,

just remember, "has beens" have been.

At least, that's how I console myself when either of my two daughters are giving me a hard time. Get some in, I think. Problem is, they're not going to realise that for another 30 years.

Never mind, back to the amber nectar, in fact bed time beckons, night all.

hum
11th Jan 2010, 22:02
Sad to see old friends like that... XZ969 and I spent many happy hours turning Jet A1 into noise heat and holes in the sky over Germany while we were together on 3 Sqn in 82 - 85 then again on 4 Sqn in '86... happy days :)

Xeque
12th Jan 2010, 13:20
There was a Pucara there (I think). Was that the same one 'liberated' from the Argentinians at the end of the Falklands conflict?
PS - It ain't. It's another view of the afore-mentioned Jaguar. sorry pardon.:O

Vark
12th Jan 2010, 14:56
How would you go about buying one of the aircraft, a Harrier GR3 in particular? Is it through Defence Estates? Does anyone have a decent contact e-mail for the organisation responsible?

Nice on a plinth in the front garden!

Wrathmonk
12th Jan 2010, 16:09
few hours in U the Dominie

And I bet despite the missing windows and doors the inside will still have that unforgetable smell about it .....:p

Valiantone
12th Jan 2010, 16:22
If you think burning them slowly is bad enough...

A pair of ex Cosford, Jaguars (and Halton before that) are now here for target practice:sad:

see here

FighterControl • Home to the Military Aviation Enthusiast • View topic - Jaguars at Pembrey!!!! but on the other end of the bomb! (http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=287&t=5015)

V1

Fly3
13th Jan 2010, 02:47
The Wessex brought tears to my eyes. Happy days on Culdrose SAR.

clicker
13th Jan 2010, 05:08
Flew in XS738 as a pax when doing an Air Training Corp nav course at Finningley. Back in the 70's.

Bob Viking
13th Jan 2010, 07:53
Jaguar T4 XX845, QFI check May 2005!
I swear I'm not old but I'm certainly starting to feel it!!
BV:(

Double Zero
13th Jan 2010, 20:47
The FA2 is quite valuable, I know as I've been involved in looking for them, or bits, for other people !

I'm surprised to see the GR3 still has an engine, but no blanks fitted; someone 'organising' this collection of partly valuable ( both financially and historically ) aircraft is nothing more than a vandal !

Seriously, can something be done to either put them on the open market or donate to museums ?

Noah Zark.
13th Jan 2010, 22:13
It's totally obscene to see aircraft ending their lives like that! :{

The late XV105
13th Jan 2010, 22:37
Indeed sad!

On a whim I put Predannack in to Google Maps and got an interesting aerial view (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=predannack&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=19.753319,39.506836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Predannack,+Mullion,+Helston,+Cornwall+TR12+7EY,+Unite d+Kingdom&ll=49.994416,-5.231788&spn=0.010456,0.01929&t=h&z=16) of the graveyard.

Double Zero
14th Jan 2010, 10:38
So, being Civvy - though ex-BAe ( a good bit, so that's closed... ) what is the nature / purpose of Predannack ?

Are these aircraft definitely to be destroyed, or is there a chance they are on hold ?

If there's any chance of the latter, time to get something moving, methinks.

EESDL
14th Jan 2010, 14:08
were they a couple of gnomes sticking out of Mk2 Walter or just inlet section?
Wessex XS520 / F at RN SFDO Predannack on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dyvroeth/4226654960/)

airborne_artist
14th Jan 2010, 14:31
what is the nature / purpose of Predannack ?

It's Culdrose's satellite where sprog 705 pilots used to do circuits so as to stay out of the way of the grown-ups. CU is a bit of a shadow of its former self, so I suspect not much in the circuit these days. The FAA trains aircraft handlers at CU, and they have a primary duty to fight aircraft fires as well as move the aircraft to/on the deck, so they go to Predannack to train on airframes.

Double Zero
14th Jan 2010, 15:22
Thanks AA,

That gives only a slight glimmer of hope that the Harriers may be ' safe '; snag is that the wheelbase / outrigger span is different on the Harrier II GR9 ( I expect they'll have noticed by now, the Royal Engineers ' Harrier Support Unit ' did when laying PSP tracks for the GR5 rough ground trials...).

I had heard that this ' deck handling training unit ' at Culdrose, hence confusion - has FA2's in taxiable condition, so either they're elsewhere or it was wishful thinking.

Just about anything for Harrier 1 is in demand for the Indian Navy, and Art Nalls with his private FA2, who has on occasion outbid the Indians for parts on E-Bay !

As you may know, there was a project to extend the life of the Indian 2-seaters ( T4I ) a few years ago, when BAe openly robbed gate guardians and museum aircraft for certain parts.

If the FA2 and GR3 are deemed surplus to requirements, can it be made very clear to the people concerned that these aircraft should be either sold or donated to Museums, just in case some half-wit has decided otherwise ?

DZ

airborne_artist
14th Jan 2010, 16:17
The dummy deck and the taxiable airframes are at Culdrose.

NutLoose
14th Jan 2010, 16:40
were they a couple of gnomes sticking out of Mk2 Walter or just inlet section?
Wessex XS520 / F at RN SFDO Predannack on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dyvroeth/4226654960/)

you are correct it has it's engines in it still.......... suprised me as well, Everrett Aero had a load and they went to the USA for tractor pullers.......

I know a few museums would give their eye teeth for those two engines, East Mids has been after some for their Wessex for a long time..

Doouble zero if you look at the aerial shot posted elsewhere on the thread, looks like one 2 seater Harrrier is already on the burning pad

Valiantone
14th Jan 2010, 16:44
The SFDO did have a mixture of about 6 or 7 ex RAF GR.3s and T4s that went to Predannack about 2 years ago, although the Transatlantic air race airframe stayed at CU IIRC?

if you look closely at the aerial view at the bottom of the dispersals you can see the main burning area with the big metal tin cans, which get the majority of the burns nowadays.

V1

T-21
15th Jan 2010, 09:07
Nutloose,

Fantastic fox photo. You should get a job as a wildlife photographer. I like the expression on his face.

Kilonovember52
15th Jan 2010, 13:24
Does anyone know who you need to contact about these airframes at Predannack / Culdrose?
The reason I ask is that at 2366 (Bletchley Park) Squadron ATC we have a Harrier GR3 XV752 as our gate guard. We are in the process of refurbishing this airframe. It has a couple of missing external panels on the rear fuselage and we are looking for a spares source.

It has occurred to us that the GR3 airframes at Predannack might be a likely source. As the airframes are going to be eventually burnt someone there might give us permission for some spares reclamation. The problem is we have drawn blank regarding contacts at this stage. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

airborne_artist
15th Jan 2010, 14:31
KN - ring 01326 574121 and ask to speak to the CO of the School of Flight Deck Ops - they train the Aircraft Handlers, who use the airframes.

If that does not work, ask to speak to the Commander (the No2 to the Boss)

Impress on them that it'll be good PR for them if they help a community organisation, and that you help lots of young tearaway become model citizens, and that they'll get lots of good pics in the papers!

See if you can get a mini-bus of cadets down there for a visit, and a snap of the items being handed over to them. RN is good at getting PR, so sell it that way.

orca
15th Jan 2010, 18:37
KN52.

There might also be a GR3 in the fire pit at Yeovilton, and if you look closely on google there's one at North Luffenham.

BarbiesBoyfriend
15th Jan 2010, 20:10
I've seen the one at N.Luff.

It's quite a complete thing. (XV804/ O)

Jig Peter
16th Jan 2010, 13:01
... but a bit of a shock. Way, way back in the '70s and fairly recently retired from airborne fun & games, I took my (then) young son to the RAF Museum, and one of the first aircraft we saw was Canberra PR3 WE 173, the winner of the NZ Air Race, which I had flown while at Wyton in the late '50s. To find that an aircraft which I vividly remembered with affection was now a museum piece was a shocking confrontation with reality.
Sad that so many memorable aeroplanes (to those who serviced and flew them) end up Resting In Pieces.
Now, so many years later, I think my son still thinks of me as a museum piece ...
:8

NutLoose
16th Jan 2010, 13:12
T-21 They are not my pictures, so no credit for the fox here........ :)

Though I do take photos........

Wagtail
http://www.skonk.net/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2220&g2_serialNumber=1

and my first ever attempt at air to air

beware it's a big image......

http://www.skonk.net/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=856&g2_serialNumber=1

sorry about going off topic, now let's return to it :)

T-21
16th Jan 2010, 15:22
Nutloose nice photos like the crisp AN-2

Kilonovember52
16th Jan 2010, 18:36
Thanks to all who have provided leads and contact info. We'll follow these up amd I'll let you know how we get on.

orca
16th Jan 2010, 19:04
Come to think of it, Cottesmore might well have a shiny GR3 gate guard going cheap soon!

Double Zero
16th Jan 2010, 19:09
KiloNovember,

PLEASE do follow up any leads you can - for example the FA2 & GR3 are most certainly fit for museums, I don't remember even Duxford having a Sea Harrier 1 or 2 ( well I suppose it has to be an FA2 anyway, as ALL FRS1 airframes were converted in the ' Mid Life Update ' and Yeoviltons' example of an FRS1 is a composite GR3 + bits - shame on the Navy for that and the Historic Flight!

Duxford with it's GR3, just as Tangmere with it's FA2, have made the mistake of thinking U/C locks cure everything; the nose leg needs to be periodically charged, Tangmere are just beginning to learn this ( internal politics are to the fore with all museums, engineers brilliant at some things know sod all about others ).

The last time I saw the GR3 at Duxford it was almost resting on it's chin, and the FA2 example at Tangmere is headed that way.

However those are minor details; quite a lot of pilots have flown Harrier 1's, not only FAA & RAF but how about U.S. Marines & others just 'plain' interested ? It will draw in plenty of punters, especially if an explanatory video or someone who knows how it works is to hand.

It will apparently forever remain a shame on the FAA that their historic flight does not include a Sea Harrier, considering its' historic achievements, + it's a relatively small aircraft to handle & hangar; are the skills to fly it REALLY that far gone ?!

Art Nalls seems to do OK - RN, bring it on !

Kilonovember52
28th Jan 2010, 19:53
Hi after a few phone calls etc we have found out that the Harriers at Predannack belong to DE&S. Can anyone help with a suitable contact for DE&S we could speak to / write to about aquiring spares for our ATC Squadron Harrier GR3 XV752? This is located at Bletchely Park adjacent to the 2366 (Bletchley Park) Squadron HQ. Thanks.

Chris Kebab
29th Jan 2010, 09:01
Try the Harrier project team at Wyton, 01480 52451 ext 8081, they don't have much else on these days:ok:

Dengue_Dude
29th Jan 2010, 19:28
Yep a couple of tours on Applied Flight at Finningley and flew 738 many times.

It's always sad to see this. Doncaster Aviation Museum has the nose section of a Varsity that I'd flown in too - a bit depressing really.

Hey Fergi, I thought you were safely resident in the school . . . ! Hope you're enjoying summer, was in Wellie on 5th Jan (oddly enough, it was windy ;o)

Alf Aworna
29th Jan 2010, 20:51
First flew XX845 in Sep 94 for a 1v1 when she was still a T2. Start of a long on off relationship with the old girl as both a T2 and T4. Sad to see her in such a state, she deserves better. :(

fergineer
29th Jan 2010, 21:41
Hi there Deng you should have given me a call would have come down there for the weekend to get out of the heat here.......warm and sunny here busy with Coastguard still enjoying the semi retirement.

Landroger
29th Jan 2010, 23:58
Why are all the Wessex airframes except one on their sides? And wasn't the nickname for Wessex 'The Paraffin Parrot'?

Roger.

mike rondot
4th Feb 2010, 13:51
On behalf of a gentleman, if anyone hears of a complete Jaguar single-seat airframe available for sale/disposal to a museum, please contact me. No scrapyard wreckage, only a whole aircraft preferably with pylons & tanks.

NutLoose
4th Feb 2010, 14:26
Mike, Everett Aero have one with engines I believe, see under Aircraft, BTW nice pictures :)

EVERETT AERO SALES & SUPPORT. (http://www.everettaero.com/)