PDA

View Full Version : A320 Computed Flight plan

Flyman35
4th Jan 2010, 20:16
Hello I fly the bus,but don’t have that much time in the line, when I fill the flight plan I usually write the following:

Delta pressure at TOC
Fuel at TOC
Fuel calculation every 30 minutes.
Time calculations.
RVSM ALT check every 1 hour.
New frequencies.
New Squawk.Does any one write more information on the computed flight plan, I would like to hear from different airlines

Founder
4th Jan 2010, 21:18
we write the following at Thomas Cook:

Soles onboard
ZFW
TOW
LDW
ZFW CG
Block off Time
Take off Time
Landing Time
Block on Time
Estimated flight time
We check flight times corrected for take-off time
and check fuel compared to burn correction and
winds at least every 30 min.
RVSM we only check once at FL250

then we also write ATIS, ATC clearance as well as ATIS on DEST and ALT...

thats what I can remember.

We also check all the systems every 30 min on the ECP.

Dan Winterland
5th Jan 2010, 01:27
Pre departure:
ATIS (if not from ACARS)
ATC Clearance (If not from ACARS PDC)

After departure:
T/O time.
ETAs at each waypoint.

In Cruise:
ATAs at each waypoint.
FLs at each waypoint.
Fuel check every hour.

Pre Arrival:
Destination ATIS (If not from ACARS).

This is what is required by our Ops manual and I don't do any extra. And even much of the above is superfluous as the 'bus does most of this itself. For example, you can print out the progress report after flight which does a more accurate job that I could ever aspire to.

Check Airman
5th Jan 2010, 03:36
we write the following at Thomas Cook:
Soles onboard

What if somebody isn't wearing any shoes?:}

Flyman35
5th Jan 2010, 03:52
thanks for the information

GlueBall
5th Jan 2010, 08:00
Flyman35: Why would you need "fuel calculation" every 30min if you don't have an over burn or fuel leak of sorts?

TOC fuel is useless because it hardly ever corresponds to ideal flight plan burn, usually due to altered SID, vectoring, step climbs, or different cruise altitude assignment. Typically, your first realistic fuel check would be after you're settled in cruise, and about 1 hour into the flight. :ok:

potkettleblack
5th Jan 2010, 11:58
FOB at the time of the check PLUS fuel burnt = roughly the amt in the tanks prior to departure that you logged (taking into consideration taxi fuel etc).

I think the above came about following the Azores gliding incident. Simple enough to do and our OPS manual has us doing it at least every 30 minutes and preferably over a waypoint to give a better guestimate. As an aside as part of my departure briefing when I am flying I will make reference to the expected fuel that we will be landing with plus what we need for the alternate. In flight I keep an eye on the expected landing fuel (bottom right on the MCDU). If it has dropped then I start asking myself questions (lower FL, stronger than forecast winds, vectoring by ATC, change of runway, or possibly a leak if none of the previous apply).

Other things I might log is a comparison of the forecast winds and ISA to actual. If I get time in the cruise then I would haul out the sig wx and winds aloft charts. Possibly consider asking ATC for ride reports as well although generally I will get beaten to it so I can just listen in on frequency. After all of that we can determine whether it is better to go right up to the optimum as per the FMGC or perhaps staying a bit lower for a smoother ride.

Now if your on a line check and really want to earn your brownie points then you can annotate the flight plan with the FIR boundaries from the high level charts so that you don't miss any handoffs and find yourself flying in close proximity to any F15's! Whilst you have your head in those you might as well look out for any restricted or danger areas, GRID MORA's etc as well. After all of that just remember to land, preferably in the right place at the right time:) Enjoy.

TyroPicard
5th Jan 2010, 19:52
GlueBall
TOC fuel is useless
There was a DC-10 captain who noticed a reduced fuel burn (and time) to TOC - the a/c had been significantly underfuelled. Can't remember any more details... but I don't believe TOC fuel is useless. I recommend a check at the first convenient waypoint after TOC.

autoflight
5th Jan 2010, 20:44
When you have a double FMGC failure (happened on one of my flights) you could be pleased to have a written record up to the previous waypoint, as I was.

Jep chart was open, but just after the failure our position, just off west coast of Italy, was right on a corner of the chart with no worthwhile overlap to the other joining 3 corners. Checklist, hand fly, chart unfolding & frequency change was interesting exercise. Also great to be day flight visual conditions.