PDA

View Full Version : Puma Gearbox Checks

NorthSeaTiger
31st Dec 2009, 08:06
What is the latest round of Puma gearbox checks all about ? Just heard all N Sea operators have speng the last week checking gear boxes out on local radio ? A reaction to Nigerian ditching ?

NST

bolkow
31st Dec 2009, 08:20
I do believe the last fatal puma crash in the north sea was main gearbox related. I just assumed it goes back to that?

helimutt
31st Dec 2009, 12:33
Good old Press and Journal journos. Loss of tail rotor makes the pilots unable to steer! Got to love that!

bolkow
31st Dec 2009, 12:47
LOL, I thought the same.

ScotiaQ
31st Dec 2009, 17:52
This problem goes back to 2005, when the gutter which directs water away from the Intermediate Gearbox, came adrift and chafed on the inclined driveshaft. There was a modification to the fastening of the gutter, which I think was carried out by all N Sea operators. However this has not completely fixed the original problem so Eurocopter are back to the drawing board and Operators have a frequent inspection of the problem area....again.

ScotiaQ

Scotsheli
1st Jan 2010, 17:45
Yes, all the "new" emergency bulletin does is reduce the inspection period. You'll have to go a long way to find a bigger non-event; but I suppose it gives the local press something else to dutifully scare the offshore community & their families about for no good reason. Nice job jurnos, it must make you very proud to know that in making a story out of nothing you're giving the gift of a seasonal reminder to the friends and families of those affected last year. Spitting Image had your characters spot on.

jp4toulon
2nd Jan 2010, 07:03
Very good answers, really!:ok:
Almost about the Press!!!They need to write something, without regarding if it's a big block of sh-t:oh::mad:
Happy New year from south of France from the Frenchie who where in ABZ for CHC Super Pumas in H1 hangar;););););)

DOUBLE BOGEY
2nd Jan 2010, 14:26
Why is it ncessary to give the press such a hard time. Wake up and realise that without incidents being reported the ability to effect change or motivate a very lazy manufacturer to get off its arse and fix things is very limited.

It does not really matter if the reporting is accurate its the fact that the press will always leap on to events like this that keeps the issues in the public conciousness.

Just look at the lack of progress in the Nigerian ditching. They must all know by now what caused the ditching yet without the pressure from outside agencies to force them to reveal what they know we are all left in the dark.

Scotsheli
2nd Jan 2010, 15:07
I have no issue with the media reporting real issues, accurately or updating on progress with an investigation when there is something to actually report. I just don't see how turning a routine change to an inspection into the headline "Further safety alert for Super Puma helicopters as fresh checks ordered - mechanical problem found with gearbox part which can leave pilots without proper control" is helpful to anyone (except printers!) nor indeed does it put any pressure on ECF as its a known issue that they're on top of. I can however see how the words "safety alert", "mechanical problem" and "gearbox part" are not helpful to some people right now...

About the "lack of progress" in the Nigerian ditching. Was that not only three weeks ago? Perhaps wake up and realise (your words!) that seemingly straightforward investigations, even with a walking talking crew, can take a bit longer than that if done properly...unless of course you just want to blame them for a nice, quick, outcome?

DOUBLE BOGEY
2nd Jan 2010, 18:46
SCOTSHELI,

Blaming "Someone" for an accident (with the exception of the nutter shouting "Geronimo" and pushing the cyclic at the sea) is beyond simplistic.

This thread was assumed to be closely linked to the PUMA Nigerian Ditching, maybe it is an unrelated issue to the ALERT INSPECTION fix described here in this thread (or is it!!!)

All accidents start with a root cause and probably some contributary factors. What I want is a quick interim report to suggest what may have caused the accident, ie no mechanical failure, or yes we the crew deliberatley ditched due to "X" happening in the final stages of the approach.

Whether you like it or not, there are two walking talking crewmembers in the Nigerian Incident who I suspect know the prime causal factor if not the underlying cause.

With a handle like SCOTSHELI, I guess you are employed on the NS, and if that is the case AND you fly the AS332 family you are you really happy to have to wait over a year for official reports to be released (as we are still waiting for the JSAR report).

I do not want to blame anyone, I simply do not want to have the same thing happen to me, even if it is a crew issue!!!!!

I can always count on a two-bit gob-sh**te to cry "Blame Blame" whenever anyone on these forums presses for answers. Or if not doing that, slagging off the press for doing their job!!

Its attitudes like yours that allow Commercial Operators, and/or Manufacturers to delay findings so long that the impact of the original issue, and therefore the need to properly fix the problem, are severely diluted.

I suggest you remove your head from the sand (if you are a NS jockey) and see the real issues here.

DB

Droopystop
2nd Jan 2010, 20:40
...as its a known issue that they're on top of.

If Eurocopter are on top of the issue, why has it reoccurred? Again.