View Full Version : Who will fly the 787?

Gards
31st Dec 2009, 06:12
Will drivers from the 74 and 777 choose to fly the 787 if their companies pay by weight? Will the 787 be considered a down grade in some cases? Where do you think most of the 787 drivers will come from? 767's 737NG's? Thoughts or comments?

Happy New Year!

inducedrag
31st Dec 2009, 06:17
B737 or B767

AltFlaps
31st Dec 2009, 06:38
Come on dude!

The industry is in complete meltdown, and you're asking STUPID numpty questions like would you choose a 787 over a 777?

BA (as an example) owes 3.7 billion to it's pension pot
Globespan just swent bust
Monarch and TUI are not doing well
BMI is struggling
Virgin are hurting big time
Ryanair are cancelling orders
most of these companies have made paycuts and/or redundancies !

A lot of pilots will do very well to stay employed in 2010

Either you're a spotter with no clue of what's going on, or you're an away with the faeries pilot with no clue of what's going on.

Let's make 2010 the year of reality checks shall we ? :suspect:

Happy New Year
AltFlaps (mildly bitter)

pilot999
31st Dec 2009, 07:57
Quote "Let's make 2010 the year of reality checks shall we ? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/cwm13.gif

Happy New Year
AltFlaps (mildly bitter) "

Stop posting and thats one way of starting .:eek:

Dani
31st Dec 2009, 08:07
Gards' question is a very good one. I wouldn't be surprised when airlines put 787 pilots on a lower pay because pilots would love to fly it anyway. This applies to airlines where pilots of bigger planes get the bigger earnings, like in the US or in Asia. In Europe, where the seniority is more important than the aircraft you stay on, it wont make a difference.

Dani

theflyingbus
31st Dec 2009, 08:23
ALTFLAPS

I think you will find Tui are doing ok. We have made and increased profit for our business year.

Yet we look like we are going to be making people redundant, we all believe this is to increase the bonus' of the select few at the top, brought about by synergie savings targets from the merger with First Choice. Its not just the bankers

As for flying the 787, it will be who ever is left

OFSO
31st Dec 2009, 09:43
Ryanair are cancelling orders

I think you might find they still have 122 737NG's on order....

silverknapper
31st Dec 2009, 10:03
Maybe OAA and CTC could auction off the RHS to the highest bidder?!

FCS Explorer
31st Dec 2009, 10:34
size-wise there's no big difference btw 787 and 777. so i don't see no 'downgrade' there.
who will fly it? those that get the chance and are not on the jumbo.

beamer
31st Dec 2009, 10:35
He must be a spotter - no-one I know in the industry uses the term 'drivers' for anything but golf !

Dream Buster
31st Dec 2009, 12:16
Here are 3 good reason for wanting to fly the B 787 - for anybody who still isn't yet aware of the 'Best kept secret in aviation':

Boeing 787 Dreamliner is a breath of fresh cabin air - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/6839234/Boeing-787-Dreamliner-is-a-breath-of-fresh-cabin-air.html)

Research claims contamination in aircraft cabins is a health risk - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/6225725/Research-claims-contamination-in-aircraft-cabins-is-a-health-risk.html)

Illness among cabin crew heightens toxic air fears - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/5849374/Illness-among-cabin-crew-heightens-toxic-air-fears.html)

Where there is smoke, there is er...... smoke?

Happy New year.

DB :eek:

757 Speedbrakes
31st Dec 2009, 13:05
Well it'll certainly be a breath of fresh air for me if I ever get it on my licence..........

After chugging around in poisoness 75's for a few years my blood levels are now around 37% Aeroshell and thanks to my airline installing zonal dryers, I'm looking twice my age!! :\

There seems to be very little press coverage about the 78. We had documentaries and endless reports on the A380 and 777 but since the 1st flight there hasn't been a word. Even the Boeing website is about 3 months behind and Flight International haven't written a positive comment on anything in 8 months! :zzz:

Happy New Year All....................

raffele
31st Dec 2009, 17:54
Ryanair didn't cancel any order - the order was never placed in the first place...

FlyingHeavy
1st Jan 2010, 11:25
Delta Airlines has already negotiated pay rates for the B-787. The Dreamliner pays less than their B-747/400s & B-777s and just slightly higher than their B-767-400ERs and A330-200/300s. Pilots will bid the plane as it's the latest toy on the market regardless of the pay rates. Gotta love that new A/C smell...

Gards
2nd Jan 2010, 13:17
Beamer,

Contrary to popular belief there is aviation and pilots outside of the UK. Drivers is a very common term amongst pilots in many other countries. Consider it slang if you will, but then you are from the UK where english is perfect! I offer my apology for not using the proper and correct term to your liking!

Happy New Year to you and Altflaps :ugh:

WindSheer
2nd Jan 2010, 19:06
In the large UK airline I worked for, 'drivers' was a common term!!