PDA

View Full Version : Absolute beginner needs pro advice to become a private mallard pilot

G-73 Donald
29th Dec 2009, 10:21
I wonder how the forum can help me?

Maybe i asked to many people "primary instructors" what i have to do to fulfill my aim in life. Fly my own Grumman Mallard in FL (private use only)

I hope you guys can sort it out for me, what makes sense and what is a money maker for the instructors.
Some told me to start with PPL continue to CPL, single engine land, multi engine land, single sea, multi sea etc..

Others told a different story: CPL is not what i need, you have to....

I need your help i am somehow lost here. Maybe some of you can point me in the right direction.

Thank you for any help.

Donald

Whirlygig
29th Dec 2009, 10:39
To fly your own aircraft private use only, you only need a PPL. You might want to ask in the Private Flying forum.

Cheers

Whirls

Trolle
29th Dec 2009, 12:05
You need a private license and a multi sea-plane rating. That is it. And a ton of money.

G-73 Donald
29th Dec 2009, 18:22
First i want to thank you both for your reply!

Whirls, maybe i should to tell the reason i post here before. I wonder what are the opinions, of professional pilots. And maybe some will tell me, it is always the better decision to get the CPL, because there are many advantages.

Cheerio Donald

Pilot DAR
29th Dec 2009, 19:13
The choice of PPL vs CPL would be mostly based upon the desire to fly for hire or not. The skill set required to fly and aircraft like a Mallard will be well off the mainstream training, so going futher for a CPL will not get you much closer to being qualified to fly a large amphibian. That is completely different training, so you may as well point yourself directly at it.

If flying a Mallard is your ultimate goal, your most effective path to there would be to buy a Lake Amphibian, and find someone to teach you to fly on it. You can do nearly all of your flight training on a Lake LA-4. It would be a steeper learning curve, and take you longer to get your PPL, but once you had it, you'd be much better qualified, and the insurers would at least consider you for insurance on amphibs, otherwise, there would be no hope until you did about another PPL worth of training in the Lake or similar amphibian after you got your PPL. You may as well overlap them! If the prospect of buying and learning on a Lake LA-4 seems too costly, forget the Mallard!

Cessna WG
29th Dec 2009, 20:10
Nice to think there may be another G-73 ready to take flight if this is the case ...at present, I understand, there are only 2 flying anywhere, since the FAA grounding for wing mods a few years ago.

Big Pistons Forever
29th Dec 2009, 22:51
A Mallard is big heavy multi engine seaplane. In commercial operations you would not find a a person acting as pilot in command without multiple thousands of hours of multi and flying boat experience. The chance of you flying it yourself within say the next 5 years is effectively zero as you will not be able to get insurance at any price. Your best hope is, after you get your PPL and ME qualifications, to hire an experienced driver and fly as first officer. Secondly are you sure you have a true understanding of the operating cost of an aircraft like a Mallard. In low untilization private use you are looking at several thousand dollars an hour. You need seriouslly deep pockets.

After the Chalks wing failure the fleet was grounded but more than 2 are now flying. The annual wing inspection to maintain airworthiness is however involved and expensive. The alternative is a permanent fix, a brand new wing centre section which is now approved and available, but will not leave much change from $ 500,000.

It flies
30th Dec 2009, 10:03
Have you considered the Grumman Widgeon? Same manufacturer, also a twin engined amphibian, and pretty cool looking too.

It seats 6 instead of 10 to 15. But I think this smaller variant would be a little bit more manageable for the private pilot in terms of cost and complexity. It would think the Widgeon delivers at least 90% of the fun of the bigger aeroplane.

I realise this doesn't help if it has to be a Mallard... :)

ferrydude
30th Dec 2009, 10:37
YouTube - AVweb Short: New Grumman Goose (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlAax_WWUqk)

J.A.F.O.
30th Dec 2009, 12:16
Donald

If you've got the money to run a Mallard (or even a Widgeon or Goose) then I'll happily get trained up to be your co-pilot/bag carrier/bilge pumper.

I'd do a PPL, seaplane rating, multi-rating, Grumman Albatross rating with SeaPlane Operations, get experience of larger flying boats in the group owned Catalina at Duxford.

While CPL and IR aren't strictly necessary I would suggest that neither would be a bad idea either from the knowledge and experience you'd gain or from the insurance side.

If you'd like to know about any of the ideas I have about seaplanes then I'm happy to chat via PM.

ferrydude
30th Dec 2009, 19:38
Interesting;

Gweduc Amphibian - Home Page (http://www.gweduck.com/)

AC-DC
30th Dec 2009, 20:49
The only way is by inviting us to show you how it is done.

G-73 Donald
1st Jan 2010, 07:07
Ok! I am stunned!

Thank you all, sharing your knowledge with me. Now i know what i have to do. This was what i was looking for. Particular Pilot DAR and Big Piston Forever thanks for your detailed answer, and your care about my pockets. ;) Don't worry about the timeframe i estimated roughly next ten years minimum for this. It flies: i will check them all, you're right thank you about the ideas. Ferrydude thanks for the link i knew the remake of the Goose. Don't get mad at me but i think the engines are a little to extended to the wing, i know it has to, because of the turbos, but I like the old look and the radials much more. But this is only my belief. ;)
J.A.F.O and AC-DC i will keep you in mind what you guys wrote. J.A.F.O the Catalina whow! I'm very impressed! As i understand you already did what i want to do? I'm even more impressed. Initially i fall in love to the Albatross but weight and size.. Well, let me become some kind of pilot and as soon i know what these funny spinning things on the wing are for, i will come back to you.

Each journey begins with a single step, and this was mine...

Happy new year to all of you!

Thanks

Donald

Chuck Ellsworth
1st Jan 2010, 16:16
Donald as a couple of posters stated the license held is not the criteria to operate your own Mallard it will be decided by the insurance underwriters.

The Mallard is a beautiful machine and would also be my first choice for a personal toy if I could afford it.

I am now retired but know some of the best pilots in the world to get large flying boat training from.

I worked directly with the Lloyds underwriters for the purpose of bringing pilots up to insurable standards and have many satisfied customers around the world who qualified for insurance on large amphibians.

The Widgeon is also a great airplane but is quite demanding on the water as far as flying it goes.

Here is my old web site, I leave it up because some other pilots have taken over my business.:ok:

PBY Flight Training - Chuck Ellsworth / Wings Over Holland (http://www.pbyflighttraining.com)

Feel free to P.M. me if you have further questions, and if you get a Mallard I could be persuaded to come out of retirement for a while. :E

It flies
1st Jan 2010, 18:36
Flying these boats certainly looks like great fun. :)

9LfmKDm2THQ

I love the moment when they turn to final and there is no airfield :ok:

This may help you make your choice:

vB-zHmMb8fU

Good luck with your training.

G-73 Donald
2nd Jan 2010, 09:51
Chuck,

i visit your website and feel very honored about your posting, especially by your last sentence.
As soon i achieved the degree i need the help from the pilots you know, i will come back and hound you. Also it will be a honor for me to have you showing me how she has to be treated. Thank you Chuck.
Ok, finally i did understand, the final approving authority are the insurance underwriters. I think this is the most important thing i had to understand this week.
Thank you very much Chuck for making this clear for me.

It pays off asking the right forum. Maybe some day i can refund some knowhow and support i get here.

It flies,
i want to thank you about the time you have invested showing me the beauty of these planes. I can't tell why i am so into these planes. Maybe it is the fact they can go "into the Hudson" and back into the air without any help. ;)
Thank you, It flies, also for crossing your fingers.