PDA

View Full Version : NOTAM

easyprop
28th Dec 2009, 10:48
NOTAM'S. I am led to believe that if an Airfield is PPR only the Airfield Operator is under no obligation to issue a NOTAM if the airfield is closed. Any thoughts on this one.

chrisN
28th Dec 2009, 13:34
I don’t “know” the rules, but that sounds entirely logical. Else, you would have pages of notams about closed PPR airfields cluttering up each PIB, and it would be an unacceptable burden on strip owners, gliding sites, etc. etc. to keep filing notams.

Chris N.

tmmorris
28th Dec 2009, 14:34
Wouldn't apply to strip owners - only licensed airfields. Not sure, to be honest. A licensed airfield has published hours of operation in the AIP and as far as I know if those are varied then they must publish a NOTAM but I'm happy to be corrected.

OTOH private airfields not in the AIP are under no obligations to anyone...

Tim

Sir George Cayley
28th Dec 2009, 16:11
Correct TM and CAP168 Ch 1 proves you right.:ok:

Which means that, if a licensed airport hours of ops were daily to 19.00 they would have to issue a NOTAM to reopen for the local school to have a night flying session:eek:

Q1 When is a licensed 'drome not a licensed 'drome? (Time allowed - 4 ever)

Discuss.

Sir George Cayley

gpn01
28th Dec 2009, 16:40
Q1 When is a licensed 'drome not a licensed 'drome? (Time allowed - 4 ever)

Any time outside of its published operating hours, except for where NOTAM'd accordingly or when it is unable to provide the appropriate level of service for which it is licenced (e.g. ATC, Fire cover, etc)?

ab33t
28th Dec 2009, 17:30
PPR is the reason they do not need to publish NOTAM , you will not get permision when closed when you call up

flybymike
28th Dec 2009, 22:41
or indeed a reply...

tmmorris
29th Dec 2009, 07:56
All of which illustrates nicely why GA isn't meaningfully part of the transport infrastructure in the UK (unlike the US) - if you can't rely on an airfield being open for the published hours, or use it out of hours without jumping through hoops...

Tim

Sir George Cayley
29th Dec 2009, 14:25
If your flight doesn't require the use of a licensed airport then, so long as the owner gives permission, you should be OK. Provisos about insurance, your licence and the a/c should be taken into account.

Sir George Cayley

flybymike
29th Dec 2009, 15:43
All of which illustrates nicely why GA isn't meaningfully part of the transport infrastructure in the UK (unlike the US) - if you can't rely on an airfield being open for the published hours, or use it out of hours without jumping through hoops...

The biggest obstacles to GA being a meaningful part of the transport infrastructure in the UK are firstly the bstard uk weather, secondly insufficient geographically scattered airfields, and thirdly getting from the airfield to your ultimate destination.

Jetpacks and roller skates are the answer.

chrisbl
29th Dec 2009, 17:45
What most people dont seem to appreciate when drawing comparisons with the US is that over there, the majority of airports are publicly own and funded in a large part by the taxpayer. As a result they are obliged to be available. Restrictions in use are prohibited if federal funding has been made (eg for a runway upgrade).

The relatively few private airfields tend to charge landing fees and will require PPR as well.

He in the UK, airports are not funded by the taxpayer and rely on customers for their income hence the relatively high fees charged to users.

Taxpayer support for aviation goes even further in the US than support of airports. It is why I can have a pilots certifcate issued for free by the FAA (courtesy of the taxpayer) and why I have to pay the CAA £166 for the same because the UK taxpayer is not funding the CAA.

I love the US taxpayer.:D:ok:

tmmorris
29th Dec 2009, 20:15
Oh, I'm fully aware of that - I hold a part 61.75 US licence and fly there occasionally. I'm not blaming airfield owners for the situation, believe me.

Tim