PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft classes in the UK - Group A, permit, microlight?

German guy
25th Dec 2009, 22:30
Hello everybody,

as I am allowed to fly a UK registered aircraft with a US-PPL, and as much more used aircraft are available in the UK than here in Germany, I am seriously thinking about purchasing a UK registered aircraft. Something not so expensive, single engine, piston.

I have learned by now that there are at least 3 classes of small aircraft - 'Microlight', 'Group A' and 'Permit'.
May I ask you what that means? Are there other classes? Is there something like a overview of the existing classes?
Microlight is pretty clear and I think that I would not be allowed to fly a foreign Microlight here in Germany. However, I could fly without any paperwork any foreign certified aircraft and with minor paperwork foreign aircraft like Experimentals.

Sadly I couldn't find anything in the CAA's website... :sad:

I am loooking forward to your answers.

Cheers,

Oliver

ab33t
26th Dec 2009, 10:04
As far as Im aware you cannot fly a UK registered aircrft outside of UK air space on a foreign licence.

Genghis the Engineer
26th Dec 2009, 10:23
I can see why it all looks a bit confusing from the outside. I'll see if I can give you a simple guide.

From a pilot licencing viewpoint, we have three classes of single engined aeroplane:

Microlight: this is similar to the German Ultralight, with a few important differences. In Britain, the ballistic parachute is not mandatory, and the airworthinss standard is different to that used in Germany.

"Group A": The term group A is actually just a shorthand based upon some old British regulations. It is the same as the JAA/EASA "SEP" or Single Engine Piston class.

SLMG - Self Launching Motor Glider / TMG - Touring Motor Glider. It is the same as the equivalent definitions in Germany.

Now, to airworthiness. A large proportion of aeroplanes in Britain operate under a CofA (Certificate of Airworthiness), similarly to those you'll be used to in Germany. They'll either be an EASA CofA (in which case you should be able to transfer the aeroplane to the German register without any trouble), or "Annex II" aircraft - subject still to UK CAA control, but operable quite happily in Germany - albeit that you may find it easier to leave those (which tend to be the older aeroplanes) on the British register whilst operating them in Germany.

However, all microlight and homebuilt aeroplanes, plus a proportion of vintage aeroplanes in Britain, operate under a "Permit to Fly"; this is a sub-ICAO system, so will not give you any automatic right to fly the aeroplane in Germany, although European agreements allow such aircraft normally to make temporary visits across borders without too much trouble. To find out about whether you can operate a UK "Permit" aircraft in Germany - either whilst remaining British registered, or by transferring it to the German register, you need to talk to LBA and find out what they'll permit, and what you'll have to do in order to let this happen.

A further note is that UK regulations limit "Permit" aircraft to day-VMC with continuous sight of the surface; night and IMC flight aren't permitted.

If you have seen an aeroplane which interests you and you have the registration, look at G-INFO (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1) where you can look up the status of any British registered aeroplane.

Regarding your pilot's licence; UK CAA will allow you to fly a British registered aeroplane on any ICAO licence (albeit probably with differences training for a microlight) in British airspace. Outside of UK airspace, again (and I'm thinking here, as a German licenced pilot in Germany) you need to check with your local authority about what they will, or won't, accept.

I hope that helps,

G

Rod1
26th Dec 2009, 11:38
“A further note is that UK regulations limit "Permit" aircraft to day-VMC with continuous sight of the surface”

Slight correction, the aircraft must be flown in day VFR. No restriction on in sight of the surface, this is a licence issue re VFR rules.

Rod1

Whopity
26th Dec 2009, 12:14
You should be aware that to operate a UK registered aircraft in Gemany it will need an EASA C of A, that is the same in the UK and Germany.
A Permit aircraft does not have a C of A but has a Permit to Fly issued by a specific State. Whilst some Permit aircraft may be allowed to fly in other States it will not be allowed to remain there.

Group A ceased to exist in 2000 and was replaced by the JAA SEP rating, unlike the Group A or FAA SE it is confined to piston aeroplanes which includes microlight aeroplanes

All European classes are listed here: http://www.easa.eu.int/ws_prod/c/doc/List_of_Aeroplanes_class_and_TR_and_endorsement_list.pdf

A Mcrolight Class rating only exists on a UK NPPL a licence that can only be used in the UK.

SLMG Class is unique to the UK. In Germany it is called a TMG. All TMGs are SLMGs but not all SLMGs are TMGs! i.e. those with folding propellers and pop-out engines.

If you are operating a G Registered aeroplane on a FAA Pilot Certificate then you can fly any aeroplane covered by he FAA Certificate but you must meet all FAA regulations regarding validity: Medical; Bi-Annial etc.

IO540
26th Dec 2009, 15:18
s far as Im aware you cannot fly a UK registered aircrft outside of UK air space on a foreign licence.

You can. Reference ANO Article 26.

Any ICAO license is good for a G-reg, worldwide, and the validation is automatic (no paperwork required from the UK CAA).

Cows getting bigger
26th Dec 2009, 17:45
You chaps have also missed out EASA Permits to Fly. I believe a UK registered aircraft operating under an EASA Permit can fly anywhere in Europe.

Jodelman
26th Dec 2009, 20:10
I believe a UK registered aircraft operating under an EASA Permit can fly anywhere in Europe.

Not necessarily so.

There are three further points worth noting. Firstly, kit-built versions of these LSA ai rcraft will only be eligible for a National PtF, e.g. a UK National PtF issued by the CAA and administered through the Light Aircraft Association. Secondly, an aircraft with an EASA PtF is not necessarily eligible for flight in the airspace of another country, even the EU Member States, as EASA has yet to take on the legal competence for airspace use and access. Thirdly, LSA aircraft on a PtF cannot be hired out.

Jim McKenna
Head of Strategy, Policy and Standards,
Airworthiness Division,
Safety Regulation Group,
Civil Aviation Authority

Genghis the Engineer
26th Dec 2009, 22:06
“A further note is that UK regulations limit "Permit" aircraft to day-VMC with continuous sight of the surface”

Slight correction, the aircraft must be flown in day VFR. No restriction on in sight of the surface, this is a licence issue re VFR rules.

Rod1

I stand corrected - checking my facts, you are absolutely correct.

G

Genghis the Engineer
26th Dec 2009, 22:18
Not necessarily so.

There are three further points worth noting. Firstly, kit-built versions of these LSA ai rcraft will only be eligible for a National PtF, e.g. a UK National PtF issued by the CAA and administered through the Light Aircraft Association. Secondly, an aircraft with an EASA PtF is not necessarily eligible for flight in the airspace of another country, even the EU Member States, as EASA has yet to take on the legal competence for airspace use and access. Thirdly, LSA aircraft on a PtF cannot be hired out.

Jim McKenna
Head of Strategy, Policy and Standards,
Airworthiness Division,
Safety Regulation Group,
Civil Aviation Authority

Evening Jim:

A couple of queries:

The EASA PtF is still clearly a very young beast, but am I not right in saying that UK CAA has accepted onto the G register four CTLS aircraft on the back of EASA PtF issue in Germany? That seems to imply portability of EASA PtF aircraft across borders in the LSA category - or am I missing something there?

(Perhaps more fundamentally, what the heck is the use of a European Authority issued airworthiness document if it is only valid in a single country's airspace? We may as well go back to the JAA/NAA system if this is true! - although one suspects at Aviation House you'd probably regard that as a good thing in some ways.)

Also, so far as I know, the EASA PtF is by no means restricted to the LSA category? (Although I accept that it's certainly the category most likely to be applied at the moment?) For example, a 4-seat aircraft such as the Jabiru J400, with suitably manufacturing approvals behind it, could potentially negotiate EASA PtF issue on the back of some slimmed down version of CS.23 (presumably more or less the same conditions as LAA/PFA used to approve it for a UK PtF?).

Regards,

G

funfly
28th Dec 2009, 11:01
Posted by Rod1.
"Slight correction, the aircraft must be flown in day VFR. No restriction on in sight of the surface, this is a licence issue re VFR rules."

This has always provided a good reason to get an instrument rating even if you flew a permit aircraft - although I know this rating may soon go!

Genghis the Engineer
28th Dec 2009, 14:08
Posted by Rod1.
"Slight correction, the aircraft must be flown in day VFR. No restriction on in sight of the surface, this is a licence issue re VFR rules."

This has always provided a good reason to get an instrument rating even if you flew a permit aircraft - although I know this rating may soon go!

I think that you mean the IMC rating.

G

sierauniform
6th Jan 2010, 20:53
How about a PA22-108 Colt.
Its an Annex II Cat A aeroplane.Check out LOOPMART.
Best of luck.
I'm about to buy a german aircraft - Remos GX- that will be a permit aircraft on an EASA Permit to Fly.Pity about exchange rate at the moment.

Happy New Year