PDA

View Full Version : IOSA - Make it sense?

Stubenfliege 2
25th Dec 2009, 16:54
Hi ya.

Just asking myself, if the fact that an airline take part in an IOSA Audit make any difference on the operational side of the company.

If it is worth the efford, good thing, why are the leading LCCīs (Ryanair, Easyjet, Southwest, Westjet, to name a few) didnīt go through this procedure? Costs? Fears of industry espionage or somebody could discover their magic? Or did they do other tyes of auditing?

Regards,

Stubenfliege

Rainboe
25th Dec 2009, 19:38
The IOSA requirement are quite strict. It is not easy to comply, and it sets big targets to be followed. Is it not a Star Alliance requirement? It can be difficult. because we followed the IOSA rules, when I changed aeroplane to the 757, I had to do 20 sectors under supervision. I would have been happy with 6. A lot of unnecessary training! But, the standards are very high under IOSA. The audits are strict and severe.

xetroV
26th Dec 2009, 01:25
Companies don't codeshare with other airlines, unless they have some assurances about the level of the safety and quality systems of these partner airlines. IOSA makes it easier to set-up a checking system without getting drowned in an inextricable maze of mutual safety audits. LCCs typically don't codeshare, which is why IOSA is more prevalent in airlines which are part of an alliance. That doesn't mean LCCs don't comply to similar safety standards; they just haven't formalised it under the IOSA label.

The IOSA standards are strict, but these audits are only part of a well-developed safety system. The audits don't guarantee safety, but they do help in establishing, structuring, and maintaining safe operating practices.

Denti
26th Dec 2009, 20:57
Seems to depend on the organisation doing it, allways saw them as pretty strict and sever and quite a bit of that was actually quite welcome.

Now, the snoozing BA nigels we used to have riding along as their so-called "audit" (back when we were a subsidiary) were not in any way strict or severe at all.

One Outsider
26th Dec 2009, 21:23
Have anyone ever failed an audit?

CaptSeeAreEmm
27th Dec 2009, 06:49
YES:

Air India fails IATA flight safety audit; International Operations Safety Audit (IOSA) certificate - Indian airlines aircraft flights news (http://www.talkingtarmac.com/issues/airindia-safety.asp)

airman13
27th Dec 2009, 08:21
i would say iosa means iata operational safety audit

CaptSeeAreEmm
27th Dec 2009, 08:56
I know - the link seemed to contain that information - i didnt write it.