PDA

View Full Version : JAA to FAA

ERJ145 Driver
24th Dec 2009, 12:58
Morning,

I need to know how can I get a US CPL license from my JAA CPL license.
I'm rated on the Embraer 145, and looking for same qualification certified by FAA.

I guess that for the rating on A/C one needs to do a sim check with a certified JAA TRE, right?

Could anyone explain (step by step) what should I do here?
Can anyone tell me if there is an FAA certified doctor in Iberian Peninsula that could issue Medical Class 1?

Thanks a lot for all for your help!

P.S. - I've read other threads and websites but information not quite clear.:bored:

punk666
24th Dec 2009, 14:16
Hi its simple I converted my JAA CPL to an FAA Ticket in 7days.

All you have to do is fulfill the FAA CPL requirements for example 2 hour night cross country.
Do the check ride and there you go you have a FAA CPL.

To get the type rating you will have to do the sim check with an FAA TRE and and may be some ground school.

ab33t
24th Dec 2009, 15:14
You will need to write the theory as well , pretty much as the previous post

ab33t
24th Dec 2009, 15:16
One other item is the IR have to do the same as for CPL

punk666
24th Dec 2009, 15:58
Yes you will need to hold an FAA IR which can be done in 14days if you go to florida and with a good school. PM if you want the info of a really good school.

When you take the FAA CPL you will do an IR section which is one approach single engine if your doing the ME CPL.

Tinstaafl
26th Dec 2009, 03:35
Do you meet the experience requirements for an FAA ATP? If so, do that instead of the CPL. The FAA ATP includes IR privileges, unlike the CPL where an Instrument Rating must be added on to licence. You will only have to do one theory exam & one flight test ('checkride' in the US vernacular) instead of two of each.

Also the ATP checkride is more akin to an IR flight test unlike the CPL checkride that requires demonstrating various air & ground referenced manoeuvres not done in the JAA CPL. I opted for the ATP for multi engine land, single engine sea & single engine land. Less stuffing around, I feel.

Bear in mind that you will have to do more than one licence flight test for each category/class combination you wish to hold eg to hold a CPL or ATP for both multi engine land and single engine land will require two flight tests. In my case I was able to combine both ATP single engine licences into one flight test by doing the test in an amphibian. That let the various tasks for both classes be done in a single flight. A 'two for one', if you like.

ERJ145 Driver
26th Dec 2009, 22:57
Thank you gents!