PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Category?

Downwind.Maddl-Land
21st Dec 2009, 22:17
Can some one advise the performance Category (presumably C or D) of a B727, please? A useful, quotable, reference would be appreciated too. :ok:

Is there an Internet site that has this information on aircraft performance Cats in one convenient place? Appreciate any inputs, its a time critical response btw and I've been looking most of the evening! :ugh:

Oh, and merry Christmas too!

hvogt
21st Dec 2009, 22:48
A B727 is performance class A (EU OPS 1.470 (a)).

bfisk
21st Dec 2009, 23:16
I don't have the answer for you immediately, but you have have some phraseology confused:

There are performance classes, and there are approach categories based on speed.

Performance classes are A, B and C, and most commercial multi engine operations would be class A (class B for some light twins). These are regulatory classes; ie aircraft with MTOM more than 12,500 lbs have to meet performace class A (balanced field) performance requirements.

Approach category is operational and designate A through E, based on approach speed; an aircraft is placed within these groups based on max Vref, ie 1,3 times the stall speed in the landing configuration at the maximum aircraft weight. 0-90 kt is A, 91 to 120 is B, and the rest i don't have in my head at the moment. Generally twin turboprops will be B (a few in A), while jets fall into C and sometimes D. E is usually for very fast military fighters, as a rule of thumb.

Downwind.Maddl-Land
22nd Dec 2009, 08:35
Bfisk; Sorry, target fixation and poor terminology on my behalf at the end of a frustrating day! You are absolutely correct - its the the Approach category based on approach speed that I'm after. Therefore, I suppose the real question is: What is the max Vref for the B727 - I have the other data to hand. I am trying to ascertain if the B727 was ever likely to be in Cat D, in approach terms.

TheGorrilla
22nd Dec 2009, 10:20
Used to be in PANS OPS. Generally found in the flight information supplement for aerad or similar.