PDA

View Full Version : EK775 to Durban severe turbulence??? Any news?

787DreamFlyer
20th Dec 2009, 08:59
Relatives on EK775 to Durban on 19 December 2009 related this:

About 2hr before landing, during meal service, B777 aircraft experiences severe turbulence, causing aircraft to suddenly drop. Catering trolley lifted, and fell on cabin crew, breaking leg of one crew and finger on another. Food trays flew everywhere, and a passenger nearby made hole in ceiling with head. Bare metal of aircraft could be seen through hole.

No communication from FDC from time of incident till 30 minutes after, when Captain came to back to assess damage and injuries. On landing, Pax were advised that if injured, to stay aboard for medical assistance, while uninjured were allowed to disembark, without being offered any trauma counselling or other feedback from airline staff.

If the account of my family is correct, I think the incident was not well managed by crew and airline. Maybe they are hoping nobody speaks up...

BWAA
20th Dec 2009, 10:44
This incident has hit the front page of the papers today.....

nugpot
20th Dec 2009, 13:02
Why would you want trauma counseling? Are modern editions of Homo Sapiens really becoming so fragile?

Tin-Tin
20th Dec 2009, 13:33
Trauma counseling is a waste of time...:zzz:

ab33t
20th Dec 2009, 14:40
Keep the publicity down , Im surprised the airline is normally quite good

Sammajoor
20th Dec 2009, 15:37
If the account of my family is correct, I think the incident was not well managed by crew and airline. Maybe they are hoping nobody speaks up...(Quote)

I fly with M Rats regularly and will continue to do so....... so the aircraft hit some major turbulance so what.... if you skid out of control with your Beemer, do you now expect BMW to apologise as well.

It was a freak accident, it happened, everyone got off the aircraft, get over it.

To say that they are hoping no one speaks up is just bad taste

Tailspin2001
20th Dec 2009, 18:30
Dreamer I wouldn't rely on the report of your family very much, they couldn't even get the aircraft type right.

When you are a passenger do like the flight crew...KEEP YOUR SEATBELT DONE UP....that way you avoid making a hole in the roof with your head :) I always include this in my welcome aboard PA so if you hit your head on my flight, while you are seated, you better not try and sue!!!

Unfortunately clear air turbulence happens and usually can't be forecast.

spacedaddy
20th Dec 2009, 21:11
If there were injured on board why didn't the Captain divert to JNB???

Kittty125
21st Dec 2009, 06:01
Because their destination was Durban and there probably wouldn't have been all that much difference in time - particularly when you factor the disruption it would have caused. Besides, you weren't there so why not quit the monday morning quarterbacking!

piapito
21st Dec 2009, 08:20
What the hell are you talking about dude!! Who needs counseling after turbulence:ugh::ugh:. Maybe they should be thankful for being alive. Sure the crew did not do it on purpose. Do you counsel your family after you have hit a speed bump.?????

Capetonian
21st Dec 2009, 08:31
That's a bit harsh, piapito.

Catering trolley lifted, and fell on cabin crew, breaking leg of one crew and finger on another. Food trays flew everywhere, and a passenger nearby made hole in ceiling with head. Bare metal of aircraft could be seen through hole.

This describes a serious incident and one which could well have been traumatic for some passengers. I think offering counselling or support might have been in order for anyone suffering from shock.

It's also a lesson to keep seat belts fastened at all times!

4HolerPoler
21st Dec 2009, 10:59
Chill on the rants guys - piapitzo - wind your neck in please.

CAT happens. Great reason to keep the belts fastened.

4HP

nugpot
21st Dec 2009, 11:13
Latest report says that seatbelt signs were on at the time.

piapito
21st Dec 2009, 11:28
As I said guys, CAT happens and the age of "CAT detectors" has not yet dawned on us, and probably never will!!!. I am pretty sure that a world class Airline as EK provided the necessary help to those in need especially the crew involved. It should not be expected to handout counseling for such a occurrence as it was not in any way a catastrophe. In fact CAT happens much more than you think. I think it is sad to assume that airlines must give counseling on such events as this and then judge a airlines professionalism on that. Eat a spoon of cement and harden the hell up.:{ boohoo shame. S**T happens, we all know that, COUNSELING?????

ab33t
21st Dec 2009, 14:59
Out of the blue bounce - CAT , cant see cant do anything

Cardinal Puff
24th Dec 2009, 03:17
You is a scholar and a gentleman, D...:}

Your knighthood is in the post.:ok: