PDA

View Full Version : Flying clubs near New Orleans, Louisiana

neilgeddes
19th Dec 2009, 17:22
Hello, I'm a UK private pilot and may be going to New Orleans, Louisiana early next June for business. Can anyone please recommend a good flying club within reach of the city centre by car or public transport? I would be hoping to rent or take an instructor flight in a C172 or PA28. Also, what might the weather be like then for flying? (I have previously flown in June in Orlando.) Thanks, Neil:)

C-dog
19th Dec 2009, 22:37
Best bet is to go to Lakefront Airport on the north shore. About 15 minutes drive from downtown with a choice of operators who will hire you aircraft.

I worked in NO about 10 years ago and did a fair bit of flying from there, lovely airfield, a mixture of private and business I recall. The Air National Guard had some Hueys based there.

I hired from Air Reldan - I see they are still listed. As cheap as any but the 152 I normally got was definitely in need of some TLC.

I had to visit the FAA office in Baton Rouge for something or other and when he heard I was flying with Air Reldan he became very interested indeed on what I thought of them. Got the impression they were looking for an excuse to investigate them.

However I couldn't fault them - they were very friendly and although 'my' 152 was the worse for wear it was airworthy, cheap and took me all over south Louisiana.

Love to go back

Oldpilot55
19th Dec 2009, 22:59
There is a float plane operation, I think in Belle Chasse, in the southern part of the city. Not cheap but cheaper than UK. It caters for tourists so their pamphlets are everywhere.

neilgeddes
21st Dec 2009, 09:34
Thank you C-dog and OldPilot55, I appreciate both your replies. I hadn't thought about the float option and, as I do have some SEP(Sea) time logged, I might look further.

Can anyone say what the weather might be like there in June? Too hot or muggy for comfortable flying? Thanks.

Oldpilot55
21st Dec 2009, 12:43
June is certainly hot and sticky, even early in the day. Once you are up a couple of thousand feet it improves. Lots of mossies at night!
Southern Seaplane, Inc. (http://southernseaplane.com/cms/)