PDA

View Full Version : Being addressed by name.

onealpha
17th Dec 2009, 12:34
What are your thoughts on being addressed by your name (surname) from cabin crew?

Personally I think it's fine as long as the crew is not looking at the passenger list right in front of me for a whole minute before calling me by my name. I think it should be done discretely.

Anyone care to comment?

Tercarley
17th Dec 2009, 13:07
I liked it when BA was a really good airline - when it was BOAC - in First class you were always addressed by your name!!!!!

Malone
17th Dec 2009, 13:19
I don't know really, I think that it is obviously a personal view.
When I was in the industry I felt somewhat selfconscious calling someone by their name when it was so obvious that I had just gleaned it from their passport!
Also, I am not too comfortable when someone calls me by name when they do not know me from "Adam". As I say, it is just me maybe. I always found it easier calling someone "Sir" or "Madam".

lexxity
17th Dec 2009, 13:34
We're supposed to use pax surnames and I'm not always wholly comfortable with it. I try and judge it based on the pax type. Group of lads then first name is the way to go. Old Lady on her own, Mrs Smith or whatever, frequent flyer Mr/Mrs Jones, but generally I prefer€to use Sir/Madam.

apaddyinuk
17th Dec 2009, 13:41
At BA we are told to use names...bloody impossible to do mind, especially with such large premium cabins!!! I try to remember the names of the Gold Card holders but if there are more then a few its pot luck!

hugel
17th Dec 2009, 14:03
As a passenger I would like to be referred-to as Mr Hugel or "Sir" or the local equivalent. It is really not that important but what I don't want is to be called by my first name by a stranger. There's a Sie-zen and du-zen thang going on....:)

Final 3 Greens
17th Dec 2009, 14:10
So long as the person speaking to me is friendly, I really don't mind.

If they take the trouble to find my name and use it, who am I to take offence?

On the contrary, I regard it as good customer service.

If it's 'sir', then I take no offence either.

There are more important things to worry about in life.

Jarvy
17th Dec 2009, 14:12
I don't care if its first, last, sir or my nickname as long as its done politely.

Ancient Observer
17th Dec 2009, 14:25
I really do not mind as pax whether or not my name is used.
The service type is much more important.
Two examples in J.

Pompous, CSD who took himself far too seriously used my name. Never saw him again. It added no value whatsoever to my experience for him to prove to me that he could read my name from a list. (He was also aged and gay, but that was not what offended - pompous was OTT)

Keen, enthusiastic, CSD who made it his business to be around quite a lot. Did not use my name, but I didn't care a jot - because he cared for his customers. (He was younger than me and also gay, but that was not the point).

hugel
17th Dec 2009, 15:01
I don't care if its first, last, sir or my nickname as long as its done politely.

Having a member of the cabin crew shout out "Chartreuse" at me on a crowded flight does not me not a happy pax make.

hugel

Jarvy
17th Dec 2009, 15:20
Alot of people call me Jarvy, both friends and strangers (its on my car number plate, my e-mail and my user name) so I really don't mind. As AO said its about the service.

Two-Tone-Blue
17th Dec 2009, 18:54
MaxJet used to do that as a matter of course.

And the [B]only airline we ever flew with where we got a hug from one of the cabin crew when boarding, and when going through baggage reclaim and arrivals.

Davida, I hope you get to read this ... the best CC we have EVER encountered. I hope you got a good job with good company.

JEM60
17th Dec 2009, 18:57
I tolerate being called 'Sir' once, whether it is long-haul, or on a cruise. I prefer my first name once the introduction is made. If the F/A doesn't remember my name, then he can call me whatever he chooses.
On a cruise, I always introduce myself as John, and this is my wife 'Theresa'. I dislike being called 'Sir' continously because, to me, it smacks of being patronised. I don't call anyone else Sir, and I don't expect people to call me that, once they know who I am.
I have always considered myself as the same 'class' as everybody else in the world, maybe just a bit luckier, perhaps, but the same.

Rush2112
18th Dec 2009, 01:10
So long as the champers keeps coming they can call me "sir" or "m'lord", I don't care.

PAXboy
18th Dec 2009, 03:28
Who cares? Any airline that asks it's staff to use the name wherever possible has no idea what it's like to have 30+ pax in a premium cabin on a 12 hour leg. It's just a pretence at service - not real service. The CC have got far more important things to do than be looking up lists of names all the time.

apaddyinuk
18th Dec 2009, 03:58
Pompous, CSD who took himself far too seriously used my name. Never saw him again. It added no value whatsoever to my experience for him to prove to me that he could read my name from a list. (He was also aged and gay, but that was not what offended - pompous was OTT)

Keen, enthusiastic, CSD who made it his business to be around quite a lot. Did not use my name, but I didn't care a jot - because he cared for his customers. (He was younger than me and also gay, but that was not the point).

What does age and sexuality have to do with it? And if being gay is not the point why did you mention it TWICE??? And for the record, you sure they were gay, I see a hell of a lot of effeminate "straights" mincing around the place these days, its all the rage ya know!!!! Very strange post!!!

Just dont say things like "Yo", "Bud", "Guys", "Lads", "Wassup" etc etc and you will always get a positive response from me! LOL!

Capetonian
18th Dec 2009, 06:30
In the days when Iberia still had pretensions of offering service, I used to fly longhaul F and C a lot, often with a colleague whose English surname, when pronounced the Spanish way, sounded like a Spanish swearword. Cabin crew usually found some embarrassment in using his surname to address him, and ended up calling him 'Senyor Martin', which was his first name.

Also reminds me of a Spanish friend called Juan Carlos, which is often abbreviated in conversation to Juanca ....... which if you pronounce it in Spanish sounds rude to English ears ... you can't win!

Shack37
18th Dec 2009, 10:09
What does age and sexuality have to do with it? And if being gay is not the point why did you mention it TWICE???

apaddyinuk
Agreed, a person's sexuality in modern times is not worth mentioning even once, what is important is getting some of it. However your quote showed the comments in bold. They were not in bold in the original post.

Back to thread, anyone may call me what they will.......... as long as it's done with a smile.

Avitor
18th Dec 2009, 10:20
I draw the line at 'Claude' or 'Mush' Other than that, no problem.

parabellum
18th Dec 2009, 10:31
I think SIA had it about right. In F they would work very hard at remembering your name, in J it would be 'sir' or 'madam' unless you used the call button, in which case by the time they got to your seat they had your name. Personally not bothered, just a happy presence will do.

Ancient Observer
18th Dec 2009, 11:21
apaddy,

I thought about whether or not to include the age and orientation points.
I decided that they were valid background points, so I included them in brackets. I certainly did not put them in bold, as you did.
I have no idea why including background points gets you so excited.

The whole point of the e-mail was about service, keen-ness, enthusiasm.

apaddyinuk
18th Dec 2009, 12:51
Your correct, I did highlight the gay bit as it was the feature of my post.

You make a point about two very different experiences yet state that they were both gay...so whats the relevance of that? Its not like one was rude cos he was gay and the other wasnt because he was gay! Did we need to know they were gay? There are lots of different types of "gay"! Dont get me wrong, Im far from politically correct in my sense of humour and attitude but it just seemed highly unnecessary and almost offensive in the manner in which you stated it when to be honest, it would have been better if you had left it out!!!

The only impession I was left with was that you have a problem with the ole gays! LOL! But dont worry, I can assure you its not contagious! Hehehe

TightSlot
18th Dec 2009, 15:33
Enough with the Gay Thing please? The point seems to have been made

Final 3 Greens
18th Dec 2009, 16:04
Interesting point by Paddy.

I guess I don't really care much about stuff like this, unless it is over exaggerated and 'in my face.' e.g. I have taken offence in the past to female CC who sit in the galley slagging off their exes, when I have to listen to it. The same thing with male CC discussing last night's conquest.

The best CC are there when you need them and invisible for the rest of the time; I don;t know how they do it, but it is pretty impressive :ok:

Live and let live, I say.

apaddyinuk
19th Dec 2009, 14:24
The best CC are there when you need them and invisible for the rest of the time; I don;t know how they do it, but it is pretty impressive

Oh its easy...we have our hiding places which I like to make full use of! LOL!

PAXboy
19th Dec 2009, 18:27
I have NEVER heard CC (of either gender) talking about their private lives. Perhaps I should get a hearing aid to spice up my life? If I walk into the galley and they are having a private conversation (as any of us do in our work place) they always break off and turn to help. And I mean on that on 99% of the carriers I have used and the exceptions are few and far between and, come to think of it, a long time ago.

nicolai
19th Dec 2009, 22:01
I have NEVER heard CC (of either gender) talking about their private lives
I sometimes hear some crew having a conversation about work, their personal life, gossiping about their colleagues, or similar, particularly when sitting near the crew seats on a high-density lo-co aircraft. It's not like the crew have anywhere to go that isn't near some pax on those aircraft and if there's nothing in particular to do in that part of the flight and no pax talking to them, what else are they going to do? Sitting silent like a misplaced mannekin all the time would be awful - noone is happy or effective in a job when constrained from any social behaviour.
I've never heard anything that was embarassing, confidential, socially awkward, or similar - but really, how bad is it to be talking about your next roster, your search for a good plumber to fix your drains, a friend's wedding, your desire for a holiday somewhere warm soon, the sports results, or the many other harmless things the pax are talking about just next to the crew?
Recently I sat next to a colleague both in the front row opposite the crew and after we got off my colleague commented on the crew seeming to have nothing better to do than talk about other crew, and I had to inform the colleague that at that phase of the flight there's not much else to be doing and she agreed it was harmless after all.

Hombre
20th Dec 2009, 13:41
GSM always called me either 'Sir' or with my boarding pass sometimes by name. Smile was never discretionary.

ryanair usually called me 'sit there!' or 'not these front rows, no'.

I'll miss GSM. But now have to fly/commute with smelly, dirty, day-glo yellow, reclineless 'toot-te-toot' RYR.

bealine
20th Dec 2009, 14:13
I do address pax by name, only because BA want me to do it but I don't like it. It's an American thing and it's not natural.

Personally, and I may be old fashioned, but I come from an old well-known English family (Grandad was rather famous!) and am known by a lot of staff in some branches of John Lewis. Their staff call me by name and it makes me cringe with embarrassment - I wish to hell they would stop doing it!

Indeed, on more than one occasion I have shopped elsewhere because I don't want the embarrassment of being fawned over! Americans may love it, but for an eccentric English gentleman it just isn't on!

I am given to understand Germans, Austrians and Swiss find being addressed by name rather intimidating too! In our quaint European way, we expect to be formally introduced before we start addressing each other by name!

Capetonian
20th Dec 2009, 15:57
I am given to understand Germans, Austrians and Swiss find being addressed by name rather intimidating too!

I used to work with a lot of Germans, and even after many years working together they used to address each other as Herr or Frau whatever, whereas they found it quite acceptable for me to address them by their first names and vice versa.

In our quaint European way, we expect to be formally introduced before we start addressing each other by name!

On a beautiful deserted island, in the middle of nowhere, the following people are stranded:

2 Italian men and 1 Italian woman

2 French men and 1 French woman

2 German men and 1 German woman

2 Greek men and 1 Greek woman

2 English men and 1 English woman

2 Bulgarian men and 1 Bulgarian woman

One month later, the situation is as follows:

One Italian man has killed the other Italian man for the Italian woman.

The two French men and the French woman are living happily together in a menage a trios.

The two German men have a strict weekly schedule of when they alternate with the German woman.

The two Greek men are sleeping with each other and the Greek woman is cleaning and cooking for them.

The Bulgarian men, after looking at the Bulgarian woman, have started swimming.

The two English men are still waiting for someone to come by and formally introduce them to the English woman.

EladElap
20th Dec 2009, 16:29
Personally, even though I'm of the younger generation, when I fly Emirates I like being addressed by name, and the fact that they welcome me back (because I'm on their frequent flier club) is also nice. I think it boils down to personal choice, it's nice not to feel like you are just a number, even though you just are!

bealine
20th Dec 2009, 16:47
The two English men are still waiting for someone to come by and formally introduce them to the English woman.

That made me chuckle!

paulc
21st Dec 2009, 14:08
Flew back on EK recently (business class) and did not mind being called sir or Mr ****** by the crew. On the reverse side, cabin crew generally have a name badge but generally do cabin crew mind us pax using it as a means of greeting? I find an 'excuse me' is a far better way of starting a conversation / request.

rgbrock1
21st Dec 2009, 14:15
I prefer being addressed as sir or, even better, as your majesty. :}

bealine
21st Dec 2009, 14:51
I'm afraid being called "sir", or an employer who wants me to call somebody "sir" is something I find particularly objectionable.

A subject of Great Britain is only entitled to be addressed as "Sir" if he holds a Royal Commission or Royal Warrant in the Armed Forces or Civilian Services. Other Ranks, of which I was one when I served, are not entitled to be addressed as "Sir" unless decorated by Her Majesty.

Civilians engaged in commerce certainly do not warrant the term "sir".

Businesstraveller
21st Dec 2009, 15:06
From experience with BA/BMI it's a bit hit and miss as to weather you get called by name or nothing at all. I quite like it when the staff discretely pick up your name from your boarding pass at the lounge entrance and hand it back with a friendly 'thank you Mr.***, we'll call you when the flight's boarding'. Then again, I'm perfectly happy if I just get a 'thanks'.

watchyourairspeed
21st Dec 2009, 15:35
Honestlly; princess ... I couldn't gine a Iota about names .

As long as they don't call me late for dinner

Malone
21st Dec 2009, 15:47
A story was told to me once about a passenger on the good ol' Lagos from LGW (BA).
An African lady in full national costume refused to sit down. The CC tried again and received the answer "I am a princess, you cannot tell me what to do." The CC (who is gay - this is relevant) replied, "Where I come from they call me a queen. That means I outrank you so sit down!"
I don't know how true this is but it did make me chuckle!
:)

lexxity
21st Dec 2009, 15:59
Regarding the staff member being addressed by name, personally I really do dislike it, it just doesn't sit right having someone I don't know from Adam using my first name. I guess it's the English in me, that we haven't been introduced thing again.

Final 3 Greens
21st Dec 2009, 17:10
A subject of Great Britain is only entitled to be addressed as "Sir" if he holds a Royal Commission or Royal Warrant in the Armed Forces or Civilian Services. Other Ranks, of which I was one when I served, are not entitled to be addressed as "Sir" unless decorated by Her Majesty.

Civilians engaged in commerce certainly do not warrant the term "sir".

Sorry, but this wrong.

A knight of the realm is addressed as 'sir' on an honorific basis (quoting either their given name and surname or given name only), whereas the term 'sir' is used as a courtesy title to avoid addressing someone by their name or surname.

Military courtesy is another matter, although a military knight is addressed by his professional title before 'sir.'

Final 3 Greens
21st Dec 2009, 17:15
Regarding the staff member being addressed by name, personally I really do dislike it, it just doesn't sit right having someone I don't know from Adam using my first name. I guess it's the English in me, that we haven't been introduced thing again.

I agree with this sentiment; it's interesting to note that Lufthansa and Swiss issue name tags with an initial and surname, e.g. H Mueller.

I find it feels polite to ask 'excuse me, Frau Mueller, may I have an xxxx', whereas would not wish to call someone by their first name, (unless I knew them, which is often the case on my local airline and they will often call me by name.)

Why do British Airlines insist on calling their CC by first name only?

PilotsOfTheCaribbean
21st Dec 2009, 17:22
Why do British Airlines insist on calling their CC by first name only?

Usually it is for security reasons. There have been cases of people using a cabin crew members full name to harass them in a hotel, and even at home through the phone book.

bealine
21st Dec 2009, 19:07
Sorry, but this wrong.

A knight of the realm is addressed as 'sir' on an honorific basis (quoting either their given name and surname or given name only), whereas the term 'sir' is used as a courtesy title to avoid addressing someone by their name or surname.

Military courtesy is another matter, although a military knight is addressed by his professional title before 'sir.'

Sorry FTG - I think you have been out of Great Britain for too long!

A knight is never addressed as plain "sir" - at the first introduction, he is addressed as "My Lord" or "Milord" and any subsequent address is "Sir, followed by his firs name (eg Sir Lancelot).

You are quite correct concerning a military knight though!

lexxity
21st Dec 2009, 21:12
We are allowed to have our full name or just our first name on our badges, I choose just my first name as my surname is very distinctive and it would take about two seconds to find my home details out. Obviously my security pass has my full name on it, but I turn that around if dealing with agressive pax, usually it is to be worn at chest height which means most people wouldn't look there anyway. :}

clareprop
22nd Dec 2009, 01:57
A knight is never addressed as plain "sir" - at the first introduction, he is addressed as "My Lord" or "Milord" and any subsequent address is "Sir, followed by his firs name (eg Sir Lancelot).

Oooh no,no,no! Far too simple...

A peer is referred to as My Lord at first meeting but a plain old Knight is always Sir Firstname.

So, were I say Baron Clareprop of Heathrow, etiquette would require you to greet me as My Lord and then after as Sir.
However, were I Sir Clareprop Dreamliner, then etiquette would require you to call me Sir Clareprop when you first meet me and thereafter as well.
You notice I say etiquette requires this because being a good all round sort, I wouldn't care what you called me so long as the old G&T was available on a regular basis.

ReadyToGo
22nd Dec 2009, 15:55
A year or so ago, I was travelling through Dubai with my elderly grandmother. On checking our invitations to the Qatar Airways lounge, the young girl replied with "Thank You Mr. Richard" which I thought was fine.

Then she checked my grandmothers, (whose name was Irene) and replied "Thankyou Mrs Earring". My Grandmother didn't quite catch what she had said, so she tried again "Thankyou Mrs Eye-ring".

At this point, we both laughed a little (not at her directly of course!), and the girl apologised, and seemed so disappointed that she had got it wrong. I told her there was no need, and commented that she pronounced my grandmothers English name better than I could pronounce her Arabic one.

Later on, the same girl came over and asked very politely what was the correct pronunciation, "So she would remember for when we came to Dubai again". We told her.

Sure enough, when we transited through again, three weeks later the same girl was working in the lounge, and greeted us with the warmest smile I have ever seen from an airport employee. Before she even looked at the invitation, she greeted us with...

"Hello again Mr Richard, Hello Mrs err... Smith"

As others have said, its not the name they use, its the thought that goes behind it.

Abusing_the_sky
22nd Dec 2009, 21:39
We went out for dinner this evening and a couple of minutes after dinner was brought to our table ( i hate the word "served"), the waitress came to us and said "Is everything ok guys?"
Now, this is a very posh (and blimey expensive) restaurant. One would maybe expect to be addressed to as "You Highness" :}.
I immediately thought of this thread and said to myself "I don't really mind..." The lady was very polite, had a smile on her face and looked as if she was genuinely interested if we were happy with the food or if we needed anything else.
Having said that, personally, i would never use the words "guys", "love", "mate", "me duck" :ugh: when addressing pax. I use "Sir" or "Madam", "Ladies" or "Gentlemen".
But that's just me.

Flying_Frisbee
23rd Dec 2009, 06:35
21st December 2009 19:15 Final 3 Greens
Quote:

I agree with this sentiment; it's interesting to note that Lufthansa and Swiss issue name tags with an initial and surname, e.g. H Mueller.

This is the norm in Germany. In department stores or supermarkets, shop assistants usually have a surname on their name tags- never a first name. In front of customers, they'll usually address each other as Frau X or Herr Y.
Maybe it's more common where the language has a Du/Sie,Tu/Vouz distinction in addressing people?

XSBaggage
23rd Dec 2009, 10:52
But Lexxity, if the crew member says on the PA "My name is _______ and I am the Cabin Services Director" or something similar, in fact on smaller aircraft they say "My name is ____, and together with ______, _______ and _______ we will be looking after you". So is that not encouraging the pax to refer to you by your first name.

Personally I find as a pax in certain countries the staff find it more comfortable to address me by my first name, and in others the surname or "Sir" is better. I refer to pax as "Sir / Madam" until I see their name on their boarding card or wherever and then it's "Mr" or "Ms" unless I find it too difficult to pronounce! Again as a Brit I don't like using first names too freely!

XSB

lexxity
23rd Dec 2009, 15:39
I'm not Cabin Crew though, I'm ground staff.

Yes, I agree though it does encourage the use of first name and but it is a company policy rather than a personal choice.

XSBaggage
27th Dec 2009, 18:50
Oops sorry, I just assumed you were Cabin Crew but glad to hear you have your feet on the ground like me!!!

XSB

GROUNDHOG
27th Dec 2009, 20:36
I really don't mind whether I am addressed as Sir, Mr or nothing at all as long as it is polite and with a smile if possible. I was addressed by a No1 in the premium cabin as "Mate" once. Just the once!!

Eboy
28th Dec 2009, 21:10
I suggest it is an invasion of privacy for a crew member to address any passenger by their name in front of others. Perhaps the passenger does want their name known to seatmates. (A celebrity, spousal abuse victim, etc.) Would a crew member announce other personal information in the airline's records about the passenger in front of others? No.

There have been cases of people using a cabin crew members full name to harass them in a hotel, and even at home through the phone book.

The same could occur to the passenger, I expect, once a nut learns their name.

Momo
29th Dec 2009, 17:07
Well, I was watching a French medical program recently. They discussed a survey done in France and the USA on how patients wanted to be addressed by their doctors and other medical staff. The majority of US residents surveyed wanted to be addressed by their first name. The majority of French people surveyed wanted to be addressed as "Madame" or "Monsieur" without any mention of their first or family names.

In cultural studies, this is known as the "power distance". France has a high power distance. The US has a low one. (Ireland is lowest of about 120 countries mentioned in the relevant study.) There is a notion of hierarchy here, and it is not that clear how the hierarchy is viewed between crews and passengers. I suppose your mileage may vary. As a dual Swiss-Irish citizen, I remain confused.

parabellum
29th Dec 2009, 22:39
I suggest it is an invasion of privacy for a crew member to address any passenger by their name in front of others. Perhaps the passenger does want their name known to seatmates.

I don't think this situation should arise as I know of cases of people arranging with the airline to travel under an assumed name, it used to be quite common.

Albert Salmon
3rd Jan 2010, 11:28
He was also aged and gay, but that was not what offended

He was younger than me and also gay, but that was not the point).

So just what is your point, Ancient Observer? Or do you merely want an opportunity to display your antediluvian prejudices - and a chance to hide under the umbrella of "not being offended"?

Frankly, your entire attitude disgusts me.

RevMan2
3rd Jan 2010, 18:47
I think it's less about how cabin crew address premium passengers, rather how they recognise premium passengers.

If LH English-speaking business class (sometimes first class) passengers are still being addressed in German at the end of an 11 hour flight, there's something wrong.

Not every time, mind you and on occasion, they're up there with Singapore Airlines in attentiveness and general clued-upness.

As in: Referring to the passenger list during the service, inquiring as to the correct pronunciation.

I'm not that worried about "Mr" this or ""Mr"" that - I just don't want to hear "Was möchten Sie trinken?"" after answering in English for the previous 10 hours.

ThreadBaron
4th Jan 2010, 19:34
There are also crew who look further than the name. Flew to Muscat with the Baroness on my birthday and I was given felicitations and two unexpected glasses of champagne (we were flying J) before push back.

sea oxen
4th Jan 2010, 21:39
RevMan2

Well, no-one's perfect, and it would only take that momentary glazed-eye look to ensure the question was reiterated in English (and whatever other language was to hand if that didn't work). Sometimes I can't decide which language to use and reply in German to an English question, especially if I'm working and reading German stuff.

Does this happen to you much? It doesn't boil my urine but I'll watch more carefully in future, purely out of curiosity.

The CC get my name right, but it's German as well as English, so if it's passed on orally amongst themselves, they'll assume that Hr Schicklgruber in 9A is German-speaking.

Mind you, I would be taken aback if SQ CC addressed me in Mandarin :}

SO

parabellum
5th Jan 2010, 01:37
There is more chance the SQ crew would talk to you in Hokien than Mandrin! (Singlish seems to be the language of choice!). Very few Mandrin speakers in Singapore, though I believe the numbers are increasing as it is taught in schools.

BEagle
6th Jan 2010, 21:04
With Lufthansa, usually it's "Sir", but sometimes "Mr...". I did get some dirty looks once when travelling Economy as a LH Senator when the cabin staff greeted me by name and offered me (and no-one else) a newspaper..

But I was once called "God" by a BA stewardess. It was during a stop over and we were at the same hotel. I distinctly remember her saying "Oh God, oh God, OH GOD!!".........:E

Beer_n_Tabs
6th Jan 2010, 21:36
Wow what and amazing thread !

I am amazed people can actually be offended / upset or whatever by being called by their NAME.

Perhaps the passenger does want their name known to seatmates. (A celebrity, spousal abuse victim, etc.)

And that quote above I think was the best so far :ok:

A celebrity...well just by the nature of there celeb-ness me thinks people may already know their name

A spousal abuse victim.....not sure it mentions that in a passport or on a boarding pass.

God I love Pprune !! ;)

silverelise
7th Jan 2010, 04:32
I like it when the Virgin car pulls up at Terminal 3 and the person who greets you knows who you are without you even doing anything or showing them anything and you get a "hello Mr. SilverElise can I have a look at your passport please and we'll get your luggage checked in for you".

Nice warm feeling to start the flight with :)

All Ahead Full
7th Jan 2010, 13:52
These comments are priceless, however to agree with most people, as long as the CC are polite, I could not give a stuff what I am called. Spend most of my time travelling with BA, and have never found them any less than overly polite all of the time.

TIMA9X
7th Jan 2010, 14:18
Gee, Hope Ryan Air don't read this, they will start to charge 2 quid for PAX, 4 quid for Sir, 6 Quid for Madam, (it's longer) 8 Quid for Guest and a 10er for Surname including a packet of peanuts!

skot
7th Jan 2010, 23:15
Gee, Hope Ryan Air don't read this, they will start to charge 2 quid for PAX, 4 quid for Sir, 6 Quid for Madam, (it's longer) 8 Quid for Guest and a 10er for Surname including a packet of peanuts!

Only flown Ryanair once in my life (and that's probably enough) but, if I fail in my attempts to not fly with them again, I'd pay the £4 for "sir":)

Manchikeri
21st Mar 2011, 14:05
I can remember back as far as the late 60s, early 70s, when TWA (God rest its soul) used to pin name markers to the head rests of first class seats.

It did look tacky, that much is true, but every F passenger (none of your common or garden J in those days) was addressed by his/her name.

Meanwhile, back in the 21st century, I was quite pleasantly surprised when a BA purser, greeting the boarding passengers on BA0092 last week, checked my boarding card, said "Hello, Mr Manchikeri" and called to a colleague saying, "Here's your special meal, Jenny!"

radeng
21st Mar 2011, 17:28
When chatting to CC, we often ask where (in general terms) we each live,. Last Friday, the very pleasant young lady (at my age, they all seem young!) said she came from Chelmsford. She was enthralled to hear that it used (in the 1960s) to be impossible to get from end to end of Moulsham Street in an evening having a half pint in each pub. We couldn't manage 17 pints.....even as apprentices!

These days, you could have a quart in each pub that remains and still be thirsty...

With German doctors, I usually end up being addressed as Herr Engineer: after a delay on LH when the senior CC asked what I did for a living, i was 'Herr Engineer' for the rest of the flight.

Engineers actually command respect in Germany and Italy!

Businesstraveller
22nd Mar 2011, 12:38
Radeng - the term 'engineer' is a legally protected title in Germany/Italy, in much the same way as 'doctor' is in the UK. Alas, any Tom, Dick or Harry with a scuffed white transit can rock at your house and call himself an engineer. However, we digress...

Espada III
22nd Mar 2011, 19:02
I am happy what they call as long as they get my name right.......

I have an obviously Germanic east European name and yet flying from the UK through Frankfurt or Zurich, LH or Swiss rarely pronounce it in the correct Germanic way - they manage to find some English method which is wrong and not how I use it. I feel like shouting "It's a German name for gods sake - can't you speak your own language!" - but manners get the better of me and I just tell them politely the correct way.

baggersup
24th Mar 2011, 06:15
I always wondered why some crew do call me by name and some don't. It doesn't matter either way, though, but is a nice touch when they do it in this low coster, mass produced whirling world.

But when you are standing by your Club World seat to settle in and a lovely crew member comes right up and says, "May i take your coat Miss Baggersup?" it's rather nice.

It makes an impression. Sometimes little things like that can add up to an overall positive impression if several moments like that are done over a long flight.

Though at my age? I'm delighted just to hear the "Miss" and I don't care what comes after it! Just the prefix is enough. For "women of a certain age" still to be called "Miss" on board is rather enjoyable! Whether or not you are actually a "miss."

TightSlot
24th Mar 2011, 07:56
baggersup - Delighted to hear the effect.

You have to be a bit careful doing this , as crew - Occasionally, you can get snarled at about the whole Miss vs Ms thing (Let's not go there now)

:)

BAAlltheway
25th Mar 2011, 11:08
I don't much mind what i am called on board most of the time, as long as it is delivered in a friendly polite manner.
It does make an impression when i am in F, and they use my name, last time however the CSD was SO friendly and welcoming when using my name, that i thought he knew me, and spent a few hours trying to work out where he knew me from.

The only time i have taken any offence, was when a crew member called me Sir, whilst handing out the wash bags in F. Would have been fine with it, if i was actually a man. Hey ho.:ouch: