PDA

View Full Version : Working in Canada?

V1 VR V2
15th Dec 2009, 23:11
Hi guys,

Would it be possible for a UK citizen with a JAR CPL MEIR to work in Canada as a jump pilot for a season and would i need to convert my licence?

Many Thanks

V1 :ok:

rigpiggy
16th Dec 2009, 01:17
1st do you have "right to work in Canada"
2nd yes you will have to convert, but pretty easy do exam, do the ride, wait for TC to get their thumb out for the paperwork
3rd find a jump school that will hire you

be warned if you get 5$/load your doing well. you will not make any money at it.

YYZBeacher
17th Dec 2009, 21:08
With respect - stay on the east shore of the Pond - the work permit would never be issued I am sorry to say.

And $5 an hour is minted I would say - as most flying free for hours is more like it.

Carrier
17th Dec 2009, 22:16
Employers are required to pay professional pilots at least the minimum wage. This was checked some years ago with Manpower or whatever the feds call it now. The response indicated that there is no actual federal minimum wage so the Feds use the minimum wage in each province or territory. eg, if you are employed as a jump pilot in Ontario your employer is required to pay you at least the Ontario minimum wage.

Competent and ethical drop zones comply with the law. Whether they pay by the hour or by the load their pay does work out to meet the minimum wage standard. There are usually a few perks such as a free beer at the end of the day, free meals at the drop zone cafe or even a free jump if you are nuts enough.

There are rumoured to be some drop zone operators who pay below the minimum, do not pay their pilots at all or expect pilots to pay them to fly. Such operators are breaking the law and by extension probably have invalidated their insurance. Also it is a fair and reasonable assumption that if an operator is breaking the law in one area (pay) it is almost certainly doing the same in other areas such as maintenance, flying overloaded, ignoring safe operating procedures, etc. Stay well clear of such scumbags!

Jump flying is a great way to build up time and gain real experience as against the pseudo-experience of circuit jockeys (instructors). You will find that skydivers are reluctant to trust a new pilot but once they gain confidence in your ability they really look after you. Skydivers have great parties. Once you are accepted, away you go!

danish_hehehe
15th Jan 2010, 08:29
is it possible for an indian pilot with a FAA CPL 250 TT MEIR to get this job. what could be the difficulties faced ?

777AV8R
15th Jan 2010, 11:22
The right to work and reside in Canada.
Canadian jobs for Canadian pilots.

MAXTHRUSTV1
15th Jan 2010, 15:29
777AV8R I cant agree with you on that one seeing as plenty of our jobs in Europe have been taken by less qualified Canadians!

peterpuck
15th Jan 2010, 17:15
"plenty of our jobs in Europe have been taken by less qualified Canadians!"

How do you figure?

777AV8R
15th Jan 2010, 23:45
Precisely. How? As a Canadian, we would have to have a JAA license and a right to work over there. Maybe he is talking about Sunwings leasing aircraft, in and out over there during the season change.

I dunnoh..I stick to it:

Canadian pilots for Canadian jobs. We have lots of fine people here who need work. The rest can stand in line.

lk978
16th Jan 2010, 21:41
That is a very narrow minded view.

What about the Canadians here in Aus? there is an aussie company advertising for a float pilot because canadians are more qualified then aussies on floats. They don't want to train anyone up.

There is a strong economic argument for the globalisation of labour if you would like the details pm me.

One of the great parts of it is the transfer of skills, we learn from your float guys and you might learn something from us. :ok:

peterpuck
17th Jan 2010, 16:32
"There is a strong economic argument for the globalisation of labour if you would like the details pm me."

Then we can all end up working for $20,000 a year just like the US regionals.

777AV8R
17th Jan 2010, 18:39
Not too sure what we are going to learn from 'down under'. From experience, I guess we could learn to be a bunch of whiners and complainers.

Lets see....do you have the Canadian Arctic, grid navigation, mountainous operations, extreme cold wx ops one day then extreme hot wx ops the next, short gravel, unimproved strips, oh and we do have float operations.

I guess you could learn a lot from a Canadian pilot as we deal with most of it here. Canadian pilots are amongst the best in the world. I'll hire a Canadian over anyone.

Nuf said...Canadian jobs for Canadian pilots.

Chuck Ellsworth
17th Jan 2010, 23:14
I guess you could learn a lot from a Canadian pilot as we deal with most of it here. Canadian pilots are amongst the best in the world. I'll hire a Canadian over anyone.

There are good pilots all over the world, and Canada is far from unique in it's having different weather and terrain problems.

Nuf said...Canadian jobs for Canadian pilots.

You maybe should get out of that mindset as that is not how the industry works, expats are flying all over the world.

sec 3
18th Jan 2010, 02:26
If you marry a local, have a few kids, then get divorced you'll be screwed for the rest of your life anyway:} So fogetta bout it!

mustang06
18th Jan 2010, 20:23
V1 VR V2

Whatever happens to you I hope you don’t have to fly or deal with an ignorant, rascist and lack of general culture also known as a red neck.
Good luck

sarfarosh
20th Jan 2010, 01:19
Do your Instructor rating in canada and get your post grad work permit.I think it's possible for 1 year!!! Meanwhile apply for Permenent Residence...Only thing to keep in mind is, you need to be 2x(smarter) to get that Instructor position these days....
Awsome country with hardworking people around.Just loved it....:ok:

saudipc-9
20th Jan 2010, 20:08
Do a thread search because this subject comes up at least once a month and it's tiring to see it again.

Good luck

Mr Lover
22nd Jan 2010, 02:27
Canadian pilots for Canadian jobs. We have lots of fine people here who need work. The rest can stand in line

I am Canadian working overseas.... and when I see comments like this one I feel so ashame to be Canadian..... I am sorry for this kind of comments.

Pilots jobs should be for qualified pilots with no regards to citizenship, race or religion.

Be open minded the world is great and have to be discover. Leave Canada for a while and you will find that there is excellent pilots all over the world.

Have a great day everyone!

mentorbz
4th Feb 2010, 13:21
thank you mr. lover

tonker
8th Feb 2010, 08:56
777AV8R

I work out of Newcastle in Northern England and up until last year when Excel went bust, there was an annual contract at our base that ONLY recruited Canadian pilots.

This in an enviroment where there are many still unemployed, then add all the poor folks from Excel/Globespan/Thompson/Virgin who have been made reduntant. There was no anomosity towards them as they were just doing their job and thats just the way the world is going i'm afraid.

People are looking at moving to Canada because they see it as one of the best places on the planet and naturaly want to move there. This does add people to the job que but it also brings in fresh talent, and hopefully new business and markets.

And i'd like to be one of them, albeit probably not in Winnipeg(which i visited..........in Winter)!!!!!!!!!!!

Heli-Ice
8th Feb 2010, 17:45
DD and 777

There are other ways than marrying a local. Try Googooing Provincial Nominee Program and see what comes up. Most of the Canadian provinces are looking for foreigners to immigrate to keep your growing economy, well... growing.

Fortunately, the people working at Immigration Canada and at the Nominee Programs do not have the same prejudice against foreigners as some people posting here.

There are good and not so good pilots everywhere, also in Canada.

It is a fact that Canadian economy is on the up and you can be optimistic about future employment as pilots.

Have a good day guys/girls.

H2Opirate
16th Feb 2010, 23:52
Hey guys,
US Citizen living in Baltimore MD working for SWA. What if my Family and I wanted to move to Canada. We don't want to commute! My wife is a F/A. She could walk away but my seniority and pay rate is great. I know its a big change and the $ and seniority will not be the same but is it possible to buy a house, become a Citizen, send the kids to school, get some benefits, and get an aviation job that provides a decent wage/lifestyle. YES, I realize it will not be a 5ooosq' house on the water, with 25 plasma TVs, 1 SUV with spinners, 2 sports cars, BMW wagon, a Beaver on floats, a huge fence around my 5 acres and 2 SeaDoos, a sail boat and a 35' Cruiser. WE don"t care about that meaningless crap that seems to be whats valued so much here ...:ugh:

Go Hockey Canada :ok:

Heli-Ice
17th Feb 2010, 00:24
H2O

Since you don't seem to be very picky about your house by the lake and rid of meaningless stuff. Why don't you negotiate with Joe at Buffalo Airways (http://www.buffaloairways.com/)

He might have use for an experienced pilot and a flight attendant. You don't mind your lake beeing frozen half the year do you?

(Ok, I'm trying to be funny here. Your post made me giggle, especially after seeing Ice Pilots (http://www.icepilots.com/))

Finals19
18th Feb 2010, 18:36
There are other ways than marrying a local

Oh but come on guys! Go north and marry a local - there's a ton of beautiful babes up there in northern Ont/MB/SK/AB. You normally find them around the 7-11 or liquor store and they're pretty chatty too... (eh pilot guy, you wanna come and get to know me better eh?!) :ok:

LMFAO. Yup, come and fly in gods country and check out those reservations! :ok:

ScudRunner08
11th Mar 2010, 00:09
lk978 That is a very narrow minded view.

What about the Canadians here in Aus? there is an aussie company advertising for a float pilot because canadians are more qualified then aussies on floats. They don't want to train anyone up.

There is a strong economic argument for the globalisation of labour if you would like the details pm me.

One of the great parts of it is the transfer of skills, we learn from your float guys and you might learn something from us. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

When you listen to the radio calls up in the patch or in the north and you find a ton of chopper guys with Kiwi and Aussie accents. I found it kinda odd until I asked WTF are all these Aussie doing up here? Turns out herding cattle and such in the out back with choppers is a good way to build hour and gain a ton of experience down there. Sucks for the Canadian low time chopper pilots trying to get a start but It sucks just as much for the Aussie float pilots who have to deal with all the float drivers up here that got their start servicing fishing lodges etc and have gone down there for work.

Oh and the Aussie who won silver just behind a good Canadian kid who took gold in the Winter Olympic Skiing Moguls was a Canadian actually he grew up a few miles from the hill he was the first looser on. :ok: call it even id say.