PDA

View Full Version : NPPL - Isle of Man

Chackal
14th Dec 2009, 14:36
Hi,

For medical reasons I can't get the PPL so I was thinking that maybe NPPL could be a good option.

Unfortunately I've been told that the NPPL training can only be taken in the UK, not the Isle of Man (even though flying in the Isle of Man with a NPPL is allowed). Does anyone know if that's true?

I just want to fly but between my medical problems and living in the Isle of Man I'm worried that I won't be able to do it :(

Please help!

Thank you guys

tangovictor
14th Dec 2009, 15:24
if thats the case, why not get your nppl on the main land and use it on the Island,

Chackal
14th Dec 2009, 15:36
Welll, I guess that going to the mainland every weekend could be pretty expensive.

If you mean going to the mainland only for the exams, I'm not sure if that's possible. In the NPPL syllabus it says that the training has to be in a licensed UK airport. So if that's true the hours flying in the island won't count for the minimum required.

Anyway it seems like the guys at AOPA (who by the way are helping me a lot with all my questions, very nice people) are not sure about this because the regulation is very ambiguous.

Maybe someone in these forums can help me, or maybe I should contact the CAA directly.

I'm so confused :ugh:

JasonS
14th Dec 2009, 16:20
The Manx Flyers website implies that they do the NPPL training... Have you been down to their porta-cabin to speak to them?

Chackal
14th Dec 2009, 18:01
Yes I went yesterday but they are not sure, I think I'm the first one interested in the NPPL!

I hope there's someone here who can help me, somebody must know :confused:

BEagle
14th Dec 2009, 19:03
Chackal - we're on the case and will do what we can to sort this out for you.

When the NPPL was first created, the not unreasonable view taken was that, because it required substantially less training and testing time than the 'normal' JAR-FCL PPL, all flight training had to be conducted within airspace in which the licence itself could later be used.

At that time, the NPPL (SSEA) could only be used in UK airspace; ergo the training was similarly restricted.

However, the IoM very quickly agreed that the NPPL (SSEA) could be used in its airspace. However, no-one at that time thought about the associated training.

I see no reason at all why you should not be able to train for your NPPL (SSEA) on the IoM and will be asking my colleagues to seek confirmation from the relevant authorities as soon as they can.

We want you to fly!!

Chackal
15th Dec 2009, 09:49
You guys are awesome, thank you very much for everything :)

BEagle
17th Dec 2009, 16:17
Glad to hear that it's all turned out OK for you, Chackal!

Let us know how your training goes - enjoy!

Chackal
18th Dec 2009, 08:44
Thanks BEagle for everything, I'm just waiting for the GP to sign my forms and I'll start my training, I can't wait! :)

funfly
19th Dec 2009, 17:00
I took my NPPL in Portugal
although it was for microlight, it certainly wasn't in a country that allows its use.