PDA

View Full Version : PPL in Ireland

Cessna 172S Skyhawk
13th Dec 2009, 10:06
Right, I know there are probably loads of posts about this already, but thought I would set one up for me as a reference point.

I had planned some time ago to PPL > fATPL, but then decided that I was not willing to part with the price of a house in some counties in Ireland, so I think that I made a realistic decision to focus on flying for pleasure only.

I had racked up about 6 hours (mostly just experience). I have recently gone back flying and have 2 hours (please dont laugh all you pilots who have more - you all had to start somewhere).

My question is, by flying every second weekend in Ireland, with the possibility of flying 3 times a month during the summer, I work out that I should be able to complete my PPL in about 15 months. Is this realistic do you think? I am under no time constraints to complete my PPL, just eager to get it. Also, the school I am training at is €170 + €30 for the instructor + €5 landing + anything up to €50 per hour for briefings. Is this expensive or normal. I do like the flying school as they appear honest and seem to have plenty of time to discuss things with me. I think I have a very good instructor too. (i consider myself lucky, given some of the posts I have read here)

I know some will reply about the weather, but on the 15 day forecast I can allow for this to book a time where I will be able to fly.

Also, is it advisable to study ahead of your training. I have plenty of time to read all the PPL books. Is it worth reading more than your next flight. The school has advised me to get about 8-10 hours, then get a class 2 med, then start preparing for the ground exams. I understand their thinking, if getting the experience, but I would be eager to pass the exams as i know then I have to get my fight test within 2 years.

Thanks in advance if anyonr has advise.

vore2008
13th Dec 2009, 17:04
Hey 172,

So I guess that 15-month time frame is based on you completing your training in the minimum 45 hours? That may not happen, probably will take you more hours if you do it over a longer period like that, maybe 50-60 hours or so.

Skytrace are good on price in comparison to the others at Weston. Theyre definitely a lot cheaper than NFC and probably a bit cheaper than Flightwise when you take into account their membership fees and slightly more expensive instruction rate.

There is cheaper flying to be had elsewhere though, for example Leinster Aero Club at Trevet. With this outfit you'll have to pay membership but the hourly rate of flying is very cheap, only €120 per tacho hour (which is usually about 0.2 or 0.3 less than start-stop time used in Weston). Also instruction may be cheaper. The downside here is that being a grass strip it may not be usable at all times over the winter.

As far as reading the books your instructor should be able to point you to the relevent chapters as youre progressing through your training. But ya theres no harm reading ahead yourself, youll need to cover it anyway to prepare for the exams. And I think it is much better to have done some flying before you start preparing for the exams as a lot of the material will make more sense.

Cessna 172S Skyhawk
13th Dec 2009, 19:26
Thanks Vero

You have made me feel a bit more confident now about embarking on this venture.

I know I probably wont get it done in 45 hours, but I would like to think I wont be too much more than that. I think that as I am a little older now than just out of school yet still young enough to retain alot of information, I should be ok, I am pretty good with exams, but not the biggest fan of Multiple Choice.

Ann in Skytrace is lovely, and when I was looking around at the schools in Weston, she was very friendly and very welcoming, defo not like NFC, they really seem to be cash cow only policy.

I think that I really need to be flying every 10 days rather than every 2 weeks to retain everything I have learned in my previous lesson.

Anyway, thanks again for the reply, would welcome any more opinions.

Cows getting bigger
14th Dec 2009, 04:19
Can't you chaps go up North and do it across the border - £ vs Euro and all that)?

Donalk
14th Dec 2009, 07:35
Also, the school I am training at is €170 + €30 for the instructor + €5 landing + anything up to €50 per hour for briefings. Is this expensive or normal.

Depends on what you are flying. If a 152 or PA 38 type then €170 is very high, but would be reasonable for a very well equipped 172 or PA 28. The landing fee should normally be included in the aircraft rate unless a landing is conducted at another airfield.

I suspect you could get better value. Imagine a saving of €20 per hour or so over a 60 hour course and you start to get the picture.

jonkil
14th Dec 2009, 09:11
Hi There,
You say you will only be flying for pleasure ?
Have you given any thought to Microlights?
I am based in Donegal, near Letterkenny... Saturday 1:30pm I left and flew to Bantry in Co.Cork, right at the other side of the country, had a nice weekend down there (Guinness is just right !), flew home yesterday again. I flew the route faster than a 150/152, and burn 11 litres of unleaded petrol per hour !.
If your only going to do VFR daytime flying only and are OK with a 2 seat aircraft then take a look at the new generation microlights, they are exceptionally capable aircraft that opens up the accessibility of all the grass strips in the country. See one of the trips we did HERE (http://www.flyinginirelandmagazine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3297&highlight=), we all were in France,Portugal, Spain this year. You could also go up to Kernan Aviation in Co.Armagh do the UK NPPL at 90 per hour, no landing fee and free groundschool. Restricted licence is a minimum of 15 hours or unrestricted licence at a minimum of 25 hours, I can recommend Raphael O'Carroll at Kernan aviation, training on a couple of Ikarus C42 and with a very good club both flying and social. The Microlight UK NPPL can be validated by the IAA for use in Southern Ireland, it is the licence that most Microlight pilots have here, including myself.
If you want more info then drop me a PM and I can give you more detailed info, or if you find yourself anywhere in Donegal then give us a call at the airfield in Letterkenny and take a flight with us.
All the best whatever route you take.

Regards,
Jon
www.Ruskeyairfield.com (http://www.Ruskeyairfield.com)

Cessna 172S Skyhawk
14th Dec 2009, 15:47
Hi Donalk,

It is a well equiped PA28. So you think that is reasonable?
I think that I may prejudice my training if I start trying to negotiate.
I will however I'll see after a few hours in if I can get a special on booking by block hours.

mde
15th Dec 2009, 20:18
Hi

Your 50 hrs at sterling say 200 per hour equates to ten grand

Uk in a C150 say six grand

USA florida three weeks including flights and accomodation say five grand--no holiday 8 to 10 hrs a day can be done in 15 days I know I was there--a bit cheaper then

The prices quoted are current

Great to fly in Ireland but at those rates bloody expensive

Good luck

dublinpilot
15th Dec 2009, 20:36
The price seems about normal for schools in the Republic.

Northern Ireland maybe an option if you live close to the border, but being based in Dublin I think you'd find it very difficult.

A 90 minute drive there, an hours lesson, and a 90 minute drive back home. Sometimes you'll drive there to find the aircraft has a technical problem. Sometimes you'll get there and decide the weather just isn't good enough.

I'm lucky in that I live fairly close to my airport, and I know that some people have no choice but to travel long distances. But if I had the choice, there is no way I'd be making a long journey for flying lessons.

dp

grafity
16th Dec 2009, 20:58
Mr. Leninhan wouldn't be impressed either...:8 oh and don't forget petrol or diesel for the car if you were to be making those long trips.

Ryan5252
3rd Jan 2010, 08:08
Boys and Girls, I have just come across this topic so apologies if this is considered out of date. I just cannot get my head around those prices, circa €200/hr is just ludicrous. I fly in enniskillen and am very happy with the rates. We are a small flying school and an hour an hour will cost you £120-130 which includes everything, landings, briefings etc. Also a very friendly school. We have pilots who come up from Dublin and Belfast and even further afield.

PM me if you would like details. Honest to god €200!!!

irish seaplane
3rd Jan 2010, 23:44
Probably one of the finest schools I've seen, and I've been to many in my time is Fermanagh Flight Centre in EGAB. Great career instructor who can actually fly, which makes a difference some experts say. Great well maintained 152 with Garmin 430 and full airways avionics at £128 per hour.

My girlfriend went solo there in 7 hours, and almost has her PPL without any fuss/drama/politics and her teaching has been first class. Cannot fault her flying and it makes such a change from the agro I came across in getting my PPL done 16 years ago. In the 100's of places I've landed in Ireland, EGAB airport is right at the top because of the people there, and its without equal in so many ways other than being half price. Try them out. I have 5 friends doing PPLs at the moment and the ones training with Steve at Fermanagh Flight Centre are doing the best by far.

PM if you want email addys of others who can also vouch for same.

Irish Seaplane

grafity
4th Jan 2010, 18:47
No one seems to consider the flying clubs, they generally have much lower rates. I'm currently half way though my ppl at the moment with Limerick Flying Club (Coonagh). The hourly rate is €130 per tach hour which generally works out ~€90/hr. Instructors are all volunteers and all have vast experience with backgrounds from long haul airlines to harrier jump jets to vastly experienced GA pilots.

There are drawbacks however, there can be less opportunities to fly as mostly it's limited to weekends and summer evenings, but if your committed you'll get it done in reasonable time. Weekends and evenings may suit anyway if working full time.
There's also usually a annual membership fee and sometimes a joining fee. In the case of Coonagh it's €350/year but no joining fee.

One other advantage of the club is that you get to know all the private pilots and you often get asked to join them for the spin which is great for some free experience :). I've taken up some offers and have been to Spanish Point, Birr and a few other local flights. I'll pay it back when I get my license ;). Another point is that when you qualify you've generally easy access to aircraft with low rates, which in the case of Coonagh are generally freely available mid week and there's normally at least one around the weekend(€120 tach for ppls).

Regards,
Grafity

spinning
8th Jan 2010, 01:31
You should seriously consider the Fermanagh flight centre for your training. I know the drive might seem a bit much from Dublin but I'm currently doing it there and driving from the east coast and think its well worth the effort.
As Irish Seaplane stated in his post, there are no politics or agro, the standard of instruction is top quality and the aircraft is in prestine condition.
One huge advantage of flying with them is the transparency and lack of hidden extras so your can be assured of no nasty surprises !!!
Please pm me if you need anymore information.