PDA

View Full Version : South Africa

Dont worry
1st May 2000, 13:18
Hi, there !
I really didnīt know, where to post this note !
I think itīs good over here.
Does anybody know a place in or around Cape Town where they rent out N-Reg. Singles or Multis.
Thanx for your Information.

jetjackel
2nd May 2000, 05:19
Africa, specifically Southern Africa. I spent the 70's there along with East Africa (when it was called that before the breadup. Zambia, Rhodesia and South Africa, along with Botwana and South West Africa and Malawi and Mozanbique(dating myself). Right now Zimbabwe is a real sore point with me. The "land reform" solution of the government. Where are the "wild geese" when we need them?

Wedding Tackle
2nd May 2000, 05:58
jetjackel,

Rhodesia used to have some impressive military outfits (albeit almost 20 years ago). The Selous Scouts for example, whatever happened to them? Are there non Mashona (white + matabele) special forces troops serving in Zimabwe's army? Surely there must be somebody left in SE Africa with the capability to form something along the likes of your 'wild geese' (I assume they were ficticious-just a movie) and implement democracy to Zim.

Dont worry
2nd May 2000, 12:31
Hi guys, sorry but this topic goes in the wrong direction. I am just interested in Flight Schools or Privat Persons in or around Cape Town who rent out US Registrated Single or Multi Engine Airplanes like C172, PA28, BE55, PA34 or something like these.
Thanx for Information.

jetjackel
2nd May 2000, 18:32
Wedding Tackel,

I assume you are from the area. How embarrassing. Check your history with some of the "old timers" in the region and ask about Major Mike Hoare and the Wild Geese during the Belgian Congo before it changed.

Looks like the same Zimbabwe situation is developing in Kenya and who knows what country is next if someone doesn't decide to get envolved and stop the killing and stealing from the "haves" by the "have nots".

And they aren't "my" wild geese, they were Africa's Wild Geese.

My apologizes Don't Worry. I'm just a big Africa fan and stated a comment about a current and very serious situation. If things aren't brought under control in the Southern African and East African nations soon, renting an aircraft or seeking employment will be a moote point.

Try website http://www.aeropages.co.za/

Good info on South Africa aviation, schools, fbo's etc.

Good Luck

Flying Bean
2nd May 2000, 23:21
I am not 100% sure about this but I think the DCA has stomped fairly hard on N registered aircraft here in RSA except for those on temp business.
I think you are better off going for a validation on your (USA?) licence.
Afraid time does not permit me to dig for more info but if I get the chance I will.
Suggest you contact Russell Langley at Flight Training Centre here in Joburg and ask him for more info.
From USA you dial 27 11 315 2992 or fax 315 2671.

Constable Clipcock
3rd May 2000, 00:19
Looks like the same Zimbabwe situation is developing in Kenya and who knows what country is next if someone doesn't decide to get envolved and stop the killing and stealing from the "haves" by the "have nots".

How swiftly the world forgets.... Turn back the calendar several decades. Someone please tell us you remember the Mau Mau, who preyed on all of British East Africa during the 1945-1960 period? The thousands upon thousands of Kikuyu massacred? Come on folks, that nasty business made the news worldwide --- there was even a Puerto Rican street gang in New York City that chose that movement as its namesake during the late 1950's (ref.: The Cross and the Switchblade, Rev. David Wilkerson, 1959).

(Another reason why I'm firmly for the unrestricted ownership of firearms by civilians)

Check your history with some of the "old timers" in the region and ask about Major Mike Hoare and the Wild Geese during the Belgian Congo before it changed.

There was also another "Major Mike" besides Hoare: Major Mike Williams, a former US Army officer who commanded Rhodesia's Grey's Scouts during the 1970's.

During the previous decade, Colonel Hoare's unit was know as Five Commando. An English-speaking contingent of the separatist Katangese Army, 5.Codo was manned predominantly by Rhodesians and South Africans, with a handful of soldiers from other nations as well (chiefly British). Americans were conspicuous by their absence, due to an SOP of not accepting US applicants. This had been at the behest of the US Department of State, which had been openly supportive of the opposing UN and Congolese forces under the late Mobuto Sese-Seko. Though I'm an American myself, I can't help but to view my own country's role in that whole affair with extreme disgust; the US definitely backed the wrong side!

There was also a small Katangese Air Force (flying armed Harvards and a handful of other recip machines), commanded by a South African (Jeremy Puren?), and a French-speaking battalion (4.Codo) under the command of Colonel Robert Denard.

Delving into fiction (same place and time, of course!) for a moment, the character "General Ndofa" in Daniel Carney's excellent novel The Wild Geese (basis for the 1978 film by the same title) appears to have been based on Mobutu, though I've no idea how accurate the comparison is. I have to say, though, I found the way the Irish missionary and the Regimental Sergeant Major were portrayed in the novel to be much more interesting than the film version. For Mr. Carney's fictional works, I especially enjoyed the 1974 film version of his other novel, Whispering Death, starring Christopher Lee and filmed on location in Rhodesia. The low-level RhAF Alou fly-pasts looked great, BTW! (K-cars rather than G-cars, I presume?)

Which reminds me (off topic now!)... though my R/W flying so far has only amounted to some dual time on Schweizer 300's and (ugh!) Robinson R-22's, the Alouette III has always been on my list of top-10 "must-fly-someday!" fantasy machines. Looks like I'll have to settle for an OH-58 or an MD-530 though!

------------------
Anybody out after 2 AM is either a turd, a cop or a pilot. Or any combination of the three!

[This message has been edited by Constable Clipcock (edited 02 May 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Constable Clipcock (edited 02 May 2000).]

jetjackel
3rd May 2000, 00:54
Excellent recall Constable Clipcock.

The current situation could definitly parallel the Mau Mau occurrances in Kenya.
That was my point. As you point out morality has nothing to do with politics as the U.S. State Department activities have historically shown. I flew in Africa out of Lusaka Zambia in the 70's for a local charter company (Prestonair) and the local u.s. embassy unofficially financed many charter flights for UNITA (Dr. Savimbe) which I flew into places like Benguela Bay, Luso and other places that had no name. They preferred the services of the american pilot assuming some sort of u.s. loyalty and a closed mouth. Besides additional pay for my services they would pay for "any" photos I managed to take along the way in Angola. The politics were incredible. Also saw, on many occasions, unmarked DC-4's that were supposedly based in Zaire and supportiing UNITA, flown by u.s. pilots. Additionally the British supplied, through some bogus corporation, a HS-125 that was made available to Savimbi. It was based next door to me in Lusaka and flown by Brits. It was quite a circus with the Chineese backing the FNLA and the Russians backing the MPLA along with the u.s. support of UNITA. Check the Luanda papers through the internet and you'll see they are still fighting and slaughtering.

Wedding Tackle
3rd May 2000, 05:27
Is Mad Mike the ex British Parachute Regiment Major (1950's I think), arrested in the Seychelles some time back? Is he still in jail?

Constable Clipcock
3rd May 2000, 06:49
"Mad Mike" is the correct nickname, and yes, he's the same one jailed for hijacking that Air India transport to the RSA after that fiasco in the Seychelles; given the circumstances at the time and what he and his men faced had they surrendered, I really can't fault him for "borrowing transport" the way he did, but of course the South Africans had to be seen doing something ("world opinion" and all that!). He was released from imprisonment some number of years ago.

Hoare held a commission in the British Army during WW2, either in one of the infantry regiments or Armour (I forget which), but he was definitely not a Para, I do recall that much. He was born in Ireland, educated in Great Britain, and emigrated to South Africa during the 1950's.

BTW, the aforementioned Frenchman, Colonel Robert Denard, pulled off a successful coup in the Comoros during the late 1970s, ruling the islands until his bloodless ouster by the French government --- specifically with GIGN (Groupement d'Intervention de Gendarmerie Nationale: the French National Police SWAT unit) forming the "sharp end" of a task force that included a battalion of Foreign Legion paras. Unlike Hoare, Denard was a former Para (N.B.: French, not British, of course!), and was well known for his reluctance to fight against his fellow Frenchmen. Incidentally, Denard became a Muslim early during his stay in the Comoros.

------------------
Anybody out after 2 AM is either a turd, a cop or a pilot. Or any combination of the three!

[This message has been edited by Constable Clipcock (edited 03 May 2000).]

Wedding Tackle
3rd May 2000, 11:16
Constable ('alo, 'alo, 'alo, wot 'av we 'ere),

New an older pommy guy a few years back (late 1980's)that had his arm rebroken and set and when I asked in gods name why, said he broke it in a jump in the middle east (jump? I ask). Confessed to have been a para in the 50's and broke it on impact and had it subsequently badly set, deemed no longer fit for para ops (a lance corporal), got sent to garrison ops at a regular unit, got the sh!ts and migrated to Oz. Claimed to have been with Hoare and affectionately referred to him as Mad Mike, reckons the endearment originated in the British Army, because the guy was as mad as a cut snake (pardon the Oz vernacular).I assumed he was referring to the paras but he may have been referring to regular infantry.

For what its worth I have never set foot in Africa, but I am a serving military officer and a couple of uncles were Sandhurst British Army WWII. After the war one lived in Zambia then Rhodesia (my Dad almost migrated to E Africa in the late 60's to join him). My Uncle (now an athletics coach)bolted back to the UK when Mugabe's 'Shona, Nkomo's Matabele and the elected govt started the three way shooting gallery. Also know a few chaps Army and Air Force that fought and flew for the losing side and live here. Finally I know (knew, he's disapeared living o'seas I think) someone that was on the ground (employed)when the fiasco at the airport was going down (Seychelles). Say g'day to Hansie for me. ;)

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Wedding Tackle (edited 03 May 2000).]