PDA

View Full Version : UK aircraft groups? Which am I allowed to fly with a US-PPL?

German guy
8th Dec 2009, 19:29
Hi everybody,

I am German, live in Germany and am just about to get the US-PPL.
My initial intention was to fly N-registered aircraft or German registered ultralights here in Germany, as it is here very easy to get a ultralight license based on the US-PLL.

I know heard that the UK also accepts the US-PPL instead of a JAR-PPL and that it is also possible to register a aircraft in the UK for all European citizens!? Is this true?

The other thing I am wondering about is what aircraft groups there are in the UK and which I could fly with the US-PPL? I read in some classifieds something about 'Group A' and 'microlight' - am I guessing right that 'microlight' is like our German 'ultralight' a national class, while 'Group A' planes are certified aircrafts?

I am looking forward to your answers. :)

Cheers,

Oliver

IO540
8th Dec 2009, 21:51
You can fly a G-reg plane on any ICAO PPL, VFR worldwide (reference: UK Air Navigation Order, article 26).

A G-reg plane can be owned by anybody in the world. The only issue is that you have to get it maintained and signed off...

German guy
9th Dec 2009, 21:51
Hi and thanks for the information. 'Air Navigation Order' was the relevant hint which lead me to the relevant document, as I could not find it on the CAA's website before. It's really very difficult to find something there if you're not sure what exactly you are looking for.

Cheers,

Oliver

Tim Dawson
9th Dec 2009, 22:38
That's interesting. We don't get the same allowance in America for hiring a N-reg though, do we?

IO540
10th Dec 2009, 06:37
And when you are inside the USA, the FAA will more or less give you an FAA license validation based on your ICAO license. Same with an IR (just 1 exam). Europe doesn't get within a mile of this concession; JAA specifically bans IR validation like that.