PDA

View Full Version : Is it easier in Canada?

BabyBear
6th Dec 2009, 23:49
Hi Guys,

Can anyone advise the requirements for a JAR PPL holder to do a rating in Canada. IE is the admin. more straight forward than training in the US?

Thanks,

BB

grizzled
7th Dec 2009, 01:21
If you are asking strictly about the difference between Canada and the US in this regard (as opposed to comparing other countries too) I would say for certain it's "easier" in Canada. By that I mean that the environement in Canada is more understanding, or aware, of that fact that are other jurisdictions in the world (ICAO, JAA, etc). The US, being the US, more often does things their own way, as opposed to forms, standards, practices, regulations, etc that are more internationally compatible.

And, perhaps more importantly, Canadians are more apt to speak English in a way that you can understand. ;)

Rollingthunder
7th Dec 2009, 01:41
Canadians are more apt to speak English in a way that you can understand.

Yups that's us

Now, can I shout you schooner?

rigpiggy
7th Dec 2009, 12:55
pretty simple
1. do the forms
2. get the medical
3. write the exams
4. do the checkride
5. get TC to sign off
6. Get in line behind every wannabe around
7. bitch on avcanada

grizzled
7th Dec 2009, 15:42
RT:

Excellent point! :ok:

grizz

BabyBear
7th Dec 2009, 19:43
Thanks Guys,

What I am actually referring to is the admin side of training in Canada. The hoops that have to be jumped through to train in the US are a little OTT, in my opinion.

I am actually considering going out to Canada to do a float rating and I am therefore interested in what paperwork is involved. IE can I simply pitch up and do it, or is it necessary to go through months of form filling and visits to the Canadian Embassy, as for the US?

Cheers,

BB

340drvr
8th Dec 2009, 14:53
I assume you're referring to the U.S. "security" rules (background check, fingerprinting, etc.) for flight training of non-U.S. applicants.
I could be wrong, but I don't believe simply adding a float rating falls under the (onerous) background check/application rules for non-U.S. citizens in the States. You should check with whatever flight school you might be in contact with.
That said, it wouldn't surprise me that Canadian procedures are quite a bit simpler.

BabyBear
8th Dec 2009, 16:13
Thanks 340drvr, I have been in touch with a US school and they advised it can take months to sort out the paperwork. Having been through it previously I have no desire to do it all again.