PDA

View Full Version : A/C Black Boxes

punk666
6th Dec 2009, 15:34
Hey,

Just a quick question that I cant seem to find the answer for.
Why are the black boxes after a crash transported in water to the NTSB?

I'm watching Air crash investigation and after they have found the black boxes they transported them in a water filled cooler box that was sealed why?

Someone please put me out of my misery!

Dual ground
6th Dec 2009, 18:59
Just an educated guess but if it was an older type of recorder, that used magnetic tape as a recording medium, it is probably to prevent damage/degradation of the tape when it dries out.

Keeping it immersed would allow the tape to be removed and treated/dried in a controlled environment, minimising tape damage and potential data loss.

I stand ready to be corrected....

Farmer 1
7th Dec 2009, 08:10
I believe it is to maintain the environment in which it was found. i.e. if the crash occurs on dry land, they don't rush around looking for some water in which to put the boxes.

I sit to be corrected, however.

Scotteo
7th Dec 2009, 14:59
They would need to wash it out with steralized water so that no residue salt etc. effects the system. Easiest to do this in a controlled, safe environment such as their home base I pressume.

notlang
12th Dec 2009, 03:39
...but if air crash happens definitely at the dry place absolutely, do we need to immerse black boxes into water for maintenance as u said?

werbil
13th Dec 2009, 10:12
Corrosion after salt water immersion occurs much faster in air than in water. If a seaplane is capsized even in salt water it is recommended that you leave it moored inverted in a safe location until maintenance personnel are ready to clean it up properly.

Daysleeper
14th Dec 2009, 10:28
but if air crash happens definitely at the dry place absolutely, do we need to immerse black boxes into water for maintenance as u said?

No - If they are dry, keep them dry. It's only if in water should they be kept in water. However best thing is to leave them where they are and call in the pro's.