PDA

View Full Version : Jetstream 31 Cabin Reconfiguration

bwertz
6th Dec 2009, 07:44
Hi there, I'm doing an MBA dissertation project on various commuter aircraft. I was wondering, would anyone know the approximate 'ballpark' cost of reconfiguring a BAe Jetstream 31 (16 seater cabin) to a cargo layout?

Can anyone please provide a picture of Jetstream 31 with a cargo layout?

Thanks!

no sig
7th Dec 2009, 08:33
bwertz

Not very expensive really I'd imagine; all you need to do it take the seats out, and perhaps the toilet if one is installed. Then you have to decide what type of cargo you want to carry and configure a tie down arrangement. I have seen tie-downs in the seat rails used with nets for low weight/high volume cargo. If your cargo is heavy-high density then floor loading limits become and issue in that case pallet/spreaders and an appropriate tie down arrangement will be required. Keeping the central aisle free is also something that needs to be considered which is a limiting factor on the J31. If you are seeking dangerous goods carriage then a whole new set of issues arise, and with the cabin open access to the cockpit- may not be possible. It would require very careful consideration. I do know flame/fire restitant cargo bags for use on the likes of the J31 are available and, if I am correct, are required for even normal cargo- check that one. Additional emergency equipment may be specified, and perhaps smoke detection.

Your best bet would be to speak with any of the J31/J41 operators and ask their advice, some will certainly have done this in the past.

mad_jock
7th Dec 2009, 09:53
Depends what degree you want to reconfigure it.

You have 3 options I will go from cheapest to most expensive.

1. Bennet bags. These are L shaped bags which get attached to the seats and can hold 140kg in a double seat and 70 in a single.
These cost probably about $2000 for an aircraft. It takes about 10 mins to install the lot and flight crew can reconfigure it. Used extensively in the north of Scotland for shifting newspapers.

2. All the seats out floor stiffeners and cargo nets attached to the seat mounts. Again in the $2000-$3000 range but it needs an engineer to get the seats out.

3. Major mod changing bulk head configurations possibly a new door. Price on that one I don't know but I suspect for a one off it would be more than the world fleet of J31's is actually worth.

The main limiting factor is the access to the cabin. The door size limits and also the weight on the stairs. Its suited to smallish packages of low individual volumes. Its very labour intensive both loading and unloading and does knock hell out of the cabin fixtures.

They have had a look at converting a J41 to full cargo with cargo floors I don't know how far they got with that. The J41 is more suited to the roll having decent hold door at the back and a forward door.

silverknapper
7th Dec 2009, 12:22
Jetstream Cargo Conversions - Jetstream 31, Murray Aviation, cargo aircraft, freighter, cargo door STC, British Aerospace, BAE (http://www.jetstreamcargo.com/)

no sig
7th Dec 2009, 15:33
Cheers Mad Jock.... Bennet Bags!

Could I remember the name of those damn things..